Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will they Ever Get it? MPs Still way out of touch

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Out of touch MPs, less than a week after the UKIP surge in the local elections call for cheaper alcohol in Commons

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Out of touch MPs, less than a week after the UKIP surge in the local elections call for cheaper alcohol in Commons

They need to understand that they need to be seen holding a pint of beer *in a pub* not the Commons bar.  That's the Farage way.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Surely they have the solution in their own hands. Don't they (or some of them) set the level of duty imposed on alcohol. They should be made to suffer the consequences of their actions as much as the rest of us have to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#4 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Prices linked and kept below the local 'spoons? 

Am i the only one hoping Witherspoons start charging £500 a pint in that pub? 

#5 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

When they say cheaper, they mean greater subsides. We're all in it togethter, etc....

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Also, for most people drinking on the job is not allowed and in many cases is a sacking offence. What are they doing with a work place bar (subsidised by us) in the first place?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Also, for most people drinking on the job is not allowed and in many cases is a sacking offence. What are they doing with a work place bar (subsidised by us) in the first place?

Good point. 

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Typical  Lancastrian. A miserable whinge, driven by jealousy and an absence of lateral thinking.

You should be more like Yorkshire folk and adopt a pragmatic approach ... start a campaign to get a workers' bar put in by the management of your firm.

;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Typical  Lancastrian. A miserable whinge, driven by jealousy and an absence of lateral thinking.

You should be more like Yorkshire folk and adopt a pragmatic approach ... start a campaign to get a workers' bar put in by the management of your firm.

The management (at the top level) of my firm are French. So I don't know where that leaves me?

BTW, I went to IBM in Montpelier for a seminar last year. They served wine and beer with the buffet lunch there. The same would be unthinkable in this country.

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,809 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

At the end of every one of my projects I have a post-project party, the greatest majority of companies I've worked for in London allow a couple of beers in the office for it before we go to the pub.  Most insist on going to the canteen but it's surprising how many are very tolerant about beers in the general office.  Those who refuse tends to be companies where the IT director is a friendless goon or the facilities people are expressing their only means of power.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

I've not worked anywhere with a blanket ban on drinking - a couple of places with immediate dismissal for being even tipsy at work though.

Currently I work a lot with doctors.  The idea of a lunch meeting without wine would be unthinkable.

- Severus, July 2012

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's  certainly true that fewer people routinely go for a drink and a snack in a pub at dinnertime. I think that's down to the proliferation of flexitime working.

To be honest, I don't like to see people drinking at work and, when I was employee, never did it. Nobody wants to smell secondhand beer on a colleague's breath.

#13 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

I once went into the Strangers' Bar in the afternoon which was packed and the beer flowing freely. 

#14 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Another issue with the commons bars is the anti-social behavior that goes on in these places.

I mean, Falkirk MP Eric Joyce is due to be in a full half hour episode of Street Crime CCTV Drunks UK. 

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Another issue with the commons bars is the anti-social behavior that goes on in these places.

I mean, Falkirk MP Eric Joyce is due to be in a full half hour episode of Street Crime CCTV Drunks UK

Not that the show involves any element of racial stereotyping or anything.

#16 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

MP's ask for £10000 pay rise

http://www.dailymail...ts-monkeys.html

I know its the Mail, but also been reported elsewhere.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

MP's ask for £10000 pay rise

http://www.dailymail...ts-monkeys.html

I know its the Mail, but also been reported elsewhere.

Amongst their peers they probably are the lowest paid people they know.

Two people in our office - sadly not me - earn more.
- Severus, July 2012

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

If they want paying in line with "comparable" professions, then let's see evidence of professional standard qualifications (a qualified accountant for example holds a Masters comparable level qualification) plus evidence of previous experience and knowledge that makes them suitable for the role. Do we have all that in most cases? Thought not...

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#19 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

If they want paying in line with "comparable" professions, then let's see evidence of professional standard qualifications (a qualified accountant for example holds a Masters comparable level qualification) plus evidence of previous experience and knowledge that makes them suitable for the role. Do we have all that in most cases? Thought not...

By that argument my colleagues and I could perhaps demand much more than I am currently on (although I wouldn't). I would also expect that many MPs have masters degrees and above.

I don't believe an MP should be on a wage as high as they could perhaps receive in another position. A politician should want to become an MP through the desire to serve their country/constituency after they have experience in alternate employment as opposed to the route favoured by Cameron, Osbourne, Milliband et al. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#20 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,809 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

A newly qualified lawyer at one of the top 5 law firms in the UK earns more than an MP, often earning well over £80k within days of finishing their training.  Some of the US firms pay even more for London based newly qualifieds to tempt them away from the big UK names.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users