Will they Ever Get it? MPs Still way out of touch

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

I would also expect that many MPs have masters degrees and above.

To be fair, I expect more do today than ever before, in the main because politics is becoming a career in itself, rather than something that people turned to later in life.

Rightly or wrongly, and realising that life isn't always that simple, my view with politicians is the same as with any other profession; if you don't like the T&Cs then go and do something different!

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Maybe all first entry MPs should be on £20k, each time you get voted back in you get a pay rise and in the interim each year your electorate should vote as to whether you are worth a pay rise or not.

So you start on 20k, you can have 1k pay year more if the public you serve think you are worth it., If you survive a reelection you get the full whack of what you would have got given a rise every year.

If you get a cabinet job you only get your basic, that you have earned, plus a fixed top up for being in the cabinet.

There is of course an obvious flaw in this system.

Edited by Padge, 24 May 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#23 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Maybe all first entry MPs should be on £20k, each time you get voted back in you get a pay rise and in the interim each year your electorate should vote as to whether you are worth a pay rise or not.

So you start on 20k, you can have 1k pay year more if the public you serve think you are worth it., If you survive a reelection you get the full whack of what you would have got given a rise every year.

If you get a cabinet job you only get your basic, that you have earned, plus a fixed top up for being in the cabinet.

There is of course an obvious flaw in this system.

I think that there should be a random draw in each constituency of all eligible voters and the "lucky" winner should be given the job of MP whether they want it or not.  They aren't allowed to earn at all and their family are strictly scrutinised to ensure that there is no undue tampering, e.g. a major company employing the wife/husband as a £2m per year "assistant" to "help" the MP decide on critical votes.  They get a quite nice taxpayer funded house and moderately good living expenses.  At the end of the Parliamentary term, there's a vote where a positive overall vote gets the departing MP a very healthy payout as a reward, a negative overall vote gets you booted out with nothing.  One term only.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,572 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Patrick Mercer in the brown stuff, resigns whip.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

According to Guido Fawkes Harriet Harman is trying to secure a parliamentary candidacy for Tracy Ullman's daughter, one of her former assistants.

Hmm, the daughter of a millionaire Harley St surgeon and the American-raised daughter of millionaires in the entertainment industry.

Two salt-of-the-earth working class types together.

Mind you Harriet Harmon's husband must be a brilliant politician; only elected to Parliament in 2010 and already he's the Shadow Local Government and Communities Minister.

<_< <_<

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

According to Guido Fawkes Harriet Harman is trying to secure a parliamentary candidacy for Tracy Ullman's daughter, one of her former assistants.

Hmm, the daughter of a millionaire Harley St surgeon and the American-raised daughter of millionaires in the entertainment industry.

Two salt-of-the-earth working class types together.

Mind you Harriet Harmon's husband must be a brilliant politician; only elected to Parliament in 2010 and already he's the Shadow Local Government and Communities Minister.

<_< <_<

Aaaand in a nutshell, that's where Labour has gone wrong in the last decade.  The fruits of the political central-office cherry-picking of candidates in the Blair era have now evolved into cherry-picking their own in their own shape and thinking there's nowt wrong with it.  (Yes, I know Harman isn't of the 90s generation of MPs but the point stands)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users