Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Deja Vu Groundshare

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

On the Evening Mail on line version on the subject of our finances, again calls are made to Groundshare with the Bluebirds.
I know there are good reasons for having our own ground but its no good having a ground without a club.
Sharing halves the overheads and could give both clubs a financial boost.
We and the Bluebirds are struggling, why can't we work together for the good of sport in Furness?
It's all very well going it alone but pride comes before a fall.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Holler streets pitch is too small for us . They'd have to come to craven park . I just can't see that happening

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

Trouble is Ron Bluebirds don't own their ground so for it to financially viable for the raiders the soccer would have to either find a large sum to balance what craven park was worth or would need to pay rent to the raiders to cover it...I can't see either scenario happening mate

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Trouble is Ron Bluebirds don't own their ground so for it to financially viable for the raiders the soccer would have to either find a large sum to balance what craven park was worth or would need to pay rent to the raiders to cover it...I can't see either scenario happening mate

I know times are hard but with some municipal funding and sponsorship there must be a away forward.
The Ricoh stadium in Coventry is owned by a company that is a joint venture between the council and a local charitable foundation. ( I know there are issues with the Sky Blues not paying their rent due to a dispute)
There has just been a major tennis tournament there and concerts regularly sell out. The joint venture company say they can turn a profit without the soccer team playing there.
So with a bit of good will from the rate payers they could have a municipal venture that would benefit the whole town.
It works in France.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#5 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

if you involve the council you may as well not bother look at clubs who have sold there own grounds they also lost out on food sales beer sales and so on,even steve oconnor has realised that and is trying to get someone to take over at widnes.its a no brainer that barrow afc and barrow raiders need to get together and start looking towards the future because the future is a shared stadium that both clubs own outright like someone has already stated its great having your own ground but both clubs are struggling financially and thats probably after afcs most succesful yrs.

#6 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

As globalization takes over everything (sport included) both clubs will continue to whiter then ultimately die, As punter would rather watch big teams on the telly or in the pub, fact of life, things change, if they merge they at least have a fighting chance, if not i fear for them both.

#7 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

I know times are hard but with some municipal funding and sponsorship there must be a away forward.
The Ricoh stadium in Coventry is owned by a company that is a joint venture between the council and a local charitable foundation. ( I know there are issues with the Sky Blues not paying their rent due to a dispute)
There has just been a major tennis tournament there and concerts regularly sell out. The joint venture company say they can turn a profit without the soccer team playing there.
So with a bit of good will from the rate payers they could have a municipal venture that would benefit the whole town.
It works in France.

I would not trust Barrow council as far as I could throw them :angry: . they  will try and fob both clubs off with a minumum cost stadium  on that absestos riddled land by Morrisons and charge a high rent for it!

Edited by Plan of Attack, 10 May 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#8 georgehadgingerhair

georgehadgingerhair
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

How about the Blues play at the stadium for free take the gate money but organise their own people on the turnstiles , security etc and you take the beer and catering profits. Would this not help both of you. Also can you think of a team which has sold its ground and moved into a council owned one and benefited from this I can't    

#9 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

How about the Blues play at the stadium for free take the gate money but organise their own people on the turnstiles , security etc and you take the beer and catering profits. Would this not help both of you. Also can you think of a team which has sold its ground and moved into a council owned one and benefited from this I can't

Council owned stadiums are a very bad idea and always end in disaster for one of the clubs using it.

#10 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Barrow Bourough Council aproached both clubs a number of years ago with an initial thought of the Council building a new purpous built stadium on the waste ground off Cavendish Dock Road in exchange for both craven park and Holker Street. The problems (that I can recall) was that at the time Barrow Rugby owned there ground (although a large morgage held) but Holker Street did not own there ground at the time and therfore it was not an even deal. The practicalities of a building a new ground would be time through planning and then construction more than probably taking up a couple of years to complete. a ground share with either Holker Street or Craven Park may be a way forward but i would have thought that the politics beetween the 2 clubs would lengthen any process.

I have stated this many times but Barrow Rugby is a well sustainable club upon its own once the previous debts have been settled and the club is managed in the right way without overspending on budgets etc:.  What the club needs in my opinion is to raise the cash required that was annouced back at the AGM in 2011 (£100k). borrowing money year in year out is not a long term option especially if the club is trying to be competative before the finances are in order. The club may be required to step back into championship 1 for a season and take charge of the finances and following which I am certain they will come back strionger than ever with no further forseen financial issues. 

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#11 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

The land they wanted to put this stadium on was also riddled with abestos :O  and would have cost a fair bit to clean up

Barrow Bourough Council aproached both clubs a number of years ago with an initial thought of the Council building a new purpous built stadium on the waste ground off Cavendish Dock Road in exchange for both craven park and Holker Street. The problems (that I can recall) was that at the time Barrow Rugby owned there ground (although a large morgage held) but Holker Street did not own there ground at the time and therfore it was not an even deal. The practicalities of a building a new ground would be time through planning and then construction more than probably taking up a couple of years to complete. a ground share with either Holker Street or Craven Park may be a way forward but i would have thought that the politics beetween the 2 clubs would lengthen any process.

I have stated this many times but Barrow Rugby is a well sustainable club upon its own once the previous debts have been settled and the club is managed in the right way without overspending on budgets etc:.  What the club needs in my opinion is to raise the cash required that was annouced back at the AGM in 2011 (£100k). borrowing money year in year out is not a long term option especially if the club is trying to be competative before the finances are in order. The club may be required to step back into championship 1 for a season and take charge of the finances and following which I am certain they will come back strionger than ever with no further forseen financial issues. 

#12 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

How much would Craven Park and Holker Street worth?

Surely the money from the sale of both would generate enough to build a purpose built stadium and clear debts. Or am I just being optimistic ?

Just need a location?

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#13 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Due to council legislation on CP it is not worth as much as it would be if it was for commercial use. It is designated as an area for affordable housing and I believe (i may be miss informed...never wrong..lol) Adsa have an agreement for first offer on the football.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing