Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams 18 Keighley Cougars 10 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well I am feeling a bit more optimistic aft Sheffield not least that we scored in the second half and despite some predictions of 50/60/70 point defeats.

Team looked better and Keighley had a poor result last week so won't be that confident themselves.

Forecast a nervy win for us.

Edited by Tom Coates, 16 May 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#2 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Really should win this won,hoping for a settled side,with maybe one or two players back again.Rams to win by 12.

#3 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Not sure if it's too early to say this but I think this is a must win game. Playing bottom of the table we need to win and ideally keep them from getting a BP. So im going for a 20 point win.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

It is a must win game, for a host of reasons. Failing to win would confirm a downward spiral that would be difficult to break; a convincing win would reassure many fans that we are actually on the right track.

This is also, surely, a test of GM's coaching credentials. As has been stated on this forum many times (and to misquote my young student Einstein) constantly doing the same thing yet expecting different results is a sign of madeness. Drastic radical change isn't called for but a change in approach and mindset on the field is - let's hope that we see something of that on Sunday.

I am confident that we will win this, provided that we make the right team selections at half back, and will predict:

Rams 28 - 16 Cougars

Att: 735

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not sure if it's too early to say this but I think this is a must win game. Playing bottom of the table we need to win and ideally keep them from getting a BP. So im going for a 20 point win.

I thought the Workington match was 'a must win game', so this one against Keighley is most certainly such. I do feel, like others, that we can do it this week, but think the attendance will be a let-down with some 'supporters' staying away due to recent performances.

Dewsbury 32 - 18 Keighley

Att: 742

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#6 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

It is a must win game, for a host of reasons. Failing to win would confirm a downward spiral that would be difficult to break; a convincing win would reassure many fans that we are actually on the right track.

This is also, surely, a test of GM's coaching credentials. As has been stated on this forum many times (and to misquote my young student Einstein) constantly doing the same thing yet expecting different results is a sign of madeness. Drastic radical change isn't called for but a change in approach and mindset on the field is - let's hope that we see something of that on Sunday.

I am confident that we will win this, provided that we make the right team selections at half back, and will predict:

Rams 28 - 16 Cougars

Att: 735

This game is massive.  In fact I believe its our biggest game for a long time. If we loose I cant believe we wont be relegated. Lets hope the pressure doesn't affect the young uns and that Aaron Brown starts at 6.

#7 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I thought the Workington match was 'a must win game', so this one against Keighley is most certainly such. I do feel, like others, that we can do it this week, but think the attendance will be a let-down with some 'supporters' staying away due to recent performances.

Dewsbury 32 - 18 Keighley

Att: 742

If we lose this then I the attendances will drop even further. It would be 8 league losses in row and im not sure how you could get them back.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#8 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

If we lose this then I the attendances will drop even further. It would be 8 league losses in row and im not sure how you could get them back.

I think falling attendances are down to more than just a bad run ramite. There seems to be a general apathy towards the game at the moment, which combined with the current economic climate is causing problems for far more successful teams than us - ask the dogs. Lets face it, an underperforming (or inadequate) team gives the less than committed and financially stretched, the ideal opportunity to walk away, but I would hope that an upturn in the economy allied to a successful team would have them coming back - if of course the club survives until then. I would think we are already down to the diehard support, so I don't envisage it falling much lower. I suppose we are like the band on the titanic - we'll be there banging away until the ship goes down and hoping for rescue - even though we've actually only got a drummer like. :rolleyes:

#9 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Dont forget its a big game for the speckies.Need to get behind the lads big time.

#10 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

We need a good peformance and a win sunday! Otherwise 8 defeats on the trot and theyl not be so many rams fans rushing home from work to pay in at the fax game on thursday night! (Dont forget, season tickets dont count for northern rail cup) so could have a very poor home support infront of the premier sports cameras...

Lets hope a win sunday and against swinton in our next league game, with a good peformance against fax in the middle get the fans back interested..

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 09 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

From League Express:

Dewsbury Rams v Keighley Cougars (3.00pm)

Dewsbury Rams pair Dale Morton and Karl Pryce face late fitness tests ahead of their Kingstone Press Championship clash with Keighley Cougars.
The Rams have lost their last four games, but coach Glenn Morrison remains upbeat.
Morrison said: “Keighley will be a strong team and they’ll be hurting after last week. They’ll want to get off the bottom of the table and they’ll come here fired up, but we’ll be confident ourselves.”
He added: “Paul March has plenty of experience and most of the play will go through him, but they’re not a one-man team.
“We’ll look at ourselves more than them and concentrate on getting our own game right.”
Scott Leatherbarrow (shoulder) is a major doubt for the Cougars as they hunt for their fourth league win of the season.
Coach Paul March said: “We were our own worst enemies at times (last week). We wanted to win so much that it had the opposite effect at times, and we’ve got to learn from that.”

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 MICKY1920

MICKY1920
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Is there a radio commentary ? and if so on which station?

Visit my Rugby Video highlights page

http://www.youtube.com/user/MICKY1920

#13 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Halftime and its not good

losing..... 10-4

and boo's ringing out

it can only get worse

#14 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

4-10 HT

[

#15 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

14-10

[

#16 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

2 poor sides slugging out an uninteresting dire game...was like watching championship 1 rugby
and the way both teams played

will be championship 1 next season

the term"a win is a win" means a lot today ;)

#17 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

2 poor sides slugging out an uninteresting dire game...was like watching championship 1 rugby

Boring, boring boo boy! Some would certainly wish you would go and support a Championship 1 team. As that is obviously your level of understanding in team sport!

Next your going to say no-one put any effort in and no-one was playing for their shirt!

#18 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

The funny thing is, we are now in the top six and that's at the half way point of the season. I know teams below have games in hand, but they have to win em. I agree it was an awful game to watch. Nothing between the 2 teams other than Marchy losing them the game. Now where have I heard that before? I still cannot understand why we don't let Pryce take the goal line drop outs and why when we are a few metres from the line give him the ball and tell him to go for the line. Look what happened when he did take them on. The lads will have gained confidence from coming from behind and playing the full 80. Keighley had plenty of sets and opportunity in the second half but we defended well and in the first half they scored off a very dubious lost ball in the tackle. All in all a poor game but who knows we may just start to come good and maybe just at the right time. Don't forget we had no Austin,Rob or JC!

Edited by YOUNG UN, 12 May 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#19 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

The funny thing is, we are now in the top six. I agree it was an awful game to watch. Nothing between the 2 teams other than Marchy losing them the game. Now where have I heard that before? I still cannot understand why we don't let Pryce take the goal line drop outs and why when we are a few metres from the line give him the ball and tell him to go for the line. Look what happened when he did take them on. The lads will have gained confidence from coming from behind and playing the full 80. Keighley had plenty of opportunity in the second half but we defended well and in the first half they scored off a very dubious lost ball in the tackle.All in all a poor game but who knows we may just start to come good and maybe just at the right time. Don't forget we had no Austin,Rob or JC!

Good post Young Un.  Spot on with your point about Pryce and quite a few around us were saying the same.  Thought he was much better today mind.  We weren't great, but the whole team worked hard in the second half and the three points are vital.  Another three against Swinton would mean I could finally sleep a little easier so lets hope this is a confidence booster.

Thought we were strong on defence second forty and was it just me or did anyone else feel a little safer when we had O'Brien and Wright on at the same time?  What about starting with both next time?  O'Brien at nine, Ryan at 13 and moving Aaron to 6? 

#20 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

A win is a win. Two poor teams on the day, but credit to Dewsbury for coming back in the second half. At least they kept at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users