Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams 18 Keighley Cougars 10 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Good post Young Un.  Spot on with your point about Pryce and quite a few around us were saying the same.  Thought he was much better today mind.  We weren't great, but the whole team worked hard in the second half and the three points are vital.  Another three against Swinton would mean I could finally sleep a little easier so lets hope this is a confidence booster.

Thought we were strong on defence second forty and was it just me or did anyone else feel a little safer when we had O'Brien and Wright on at the same time?  What about starting with both next time?  O'Brien at nine, Ryan at 13 and moving Aaron to 6? 

O'Brien and Wright tackle everything above grass level and I agree Pryce was a lot better today. He also handled himself well as Marchy had obviously told the Keighley lads to give him a hard time in the second half. What was surprising today was Leahy not even cautioning the player who took Wright late in the tackle. I think the high tackle on Brown early doors also desreved more and it seemed to affect his game today.

#22 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Boring, boring boo boy! Some would certainly wish you would go and support a Championship 1 team. As that is obviously your level of understanding in team sport!

Next your going to say no-one put any effort in and no-one was playing for their shirt!

Sorry ramite, but much of what coolie says is true. At half time I had lost the will to live, and TBH thought the cougars would romp it. Much more effort and urgency second half, but a scraped win at the end, and it felt like we'd won the cup final. Good points were that KP looks to be hitting form and fitness and aizue looked far more effective. Bad points - none of the outside backs on display are anywhere near good enough to make us top 6 material.

#23 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

The first half was poor, thought we improved a lot when Wright came on, he added some enthusiasm and urgency as did Cosgrove. Pryce ran the ball back well, but agree when he's near the line he should just put his head down and go for it. hard to see anyone stopping him on a crash ball near the line. Watching NRL Inglis does exactly this and scores.

Defended very well and we won deservedly in the end. Only surprise was that March only started one fight and didnt get sin binned. Anyone know when Lillycrop, Craven and Spicer likely to be back? Still light in the forwards, though thought Gallagher had his best game so far.

Coolie you must be so disappointed that we ve won. Do you actually support Dewsbury?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 12 May 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#24 MICKY1920

MICKY1920
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Edited by MICKY1920, 12 May 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Visit my Rugby Video highlights page

http://www.youtube.com/user/MICKY1920

#25 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Sorry ramite, but much of what coolie says is true. At half time I had lost the will to live, and TBH thought the cougars would romp it. Much more effort and urgency second half, but a scraped win at the end, and it felt like we'd won the cup final. Good points were that KP looks to be hitting form and fitness and aizue looked far more effective. Bad points - none of the outside backs on display are anywhere near good enough to make us top 6 material.

But we are top 6!!

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'd agree with all that GOR. I wouldn't have been surprised if Pryce had won the MoM to be fair - he really put loads of effort in throughout and, together with Aizue, seemed determined of offer some leadership. I thought we looked a bit disorganised at half back - it's OK individuals having the odd breakaway or clever bts of footwork, but there is a basic need to feed and organise those around them. The team was standing flat much of the time; we didn't seem to have any planned moves; we still shovelled the ball left all of the time; we got two tries from speculative kicks that were fortunate to result in scores. Against that the players obviously grew in confidence as the match progressed - not at all pretty, but satisfactory.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Dont fret GOR the Bulldogs are introducing a new scheme for the dear departed as of next season. We dip them in formaldehyde and prop them up in the covered stand then charge relatives £15 on a sunday afternoon to visit em ;)

Ground will still look empty, although maybe a bit more lively!

:rolleyes:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Sorry ramite, but much of what coolie says is true. At half time I had lost the will to live, and TBH thought the cougars would romp it. Much more effort and urgency second half, but a scraped win at the end, and it felt like we'd won the cup final. Good points were that KP looks to be hitting form and fitness and aizue looked far more effective. Bad points - none of the outside backs on display are anywhere near good enough to make us top 6 material.

It wasn't me!
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#29 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

thought we played well as a team, Pryce had his best game to date and Aizue showed how a forward should run the ball in.

BUT........Brown is wasted at loose need him back at 6 and taking their defensive line on, does far to much tackling for a half back and he was unlucky not to score on his break.

Lets hope we can now build on this, a good performance on Thursday to get us ready for Swinton.

Does anybody know if the stats from the matches are ever published.

#30 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'd agree with all that GOR. I wouldn't have been surprised if Pryce had won the MoM to be fair - he really put loads of effort in throughout and, together with Aizue, seemed determined of offer some leadership. I thought we looked a bit disorganised at half back - it's OK individuals having the odd breakaway or clever bts of footwork, but there is a basic need to feed and organise those around them. The team was standing flat much of the time; we didn't seem to have any planned moves; we still shovelled the ball left all of the time; we got two tries from speculative kicks that were fortunate to result in scores. Against that the players obviously grew in confidence as the match progressed - not at all pretty, but satisfactory.

So a satisfactory result when confidence has been so low. That mean a good win and a platform to start playing attractive rugby again with spirit, confidence and flair.

A win is a win and today was an important win - I for one was pleased to be behind at half time as it forced a performance in the 2nd half! How many of you would have predicted a lockout in the 2nd half and tries..... be honest.... admit it..... they played well for the circumstance we find ourselves in and we should not expect a Super League performance after losing so many games!!

#31 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

It wasn't me!

Ha Ha, I was quite enjoying not being flamed and you carrying the can!! shows people are unable to see clearly! That perhaps explains some of the comments on the match they think they see!! :rolleyes:  :D  ;)

#32 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Agree with most points, KP had a good game seems more settled at FB not sure where this leaves Craven. Hope to see him play like that for rest of the season. Good to see a second half performance from the team and score a few tries. Not sure why Coleman went off though injured? Wright and AOB were excellent love to see AOB here full time.
Not sure we still look like a team though . Agree with GOR about the backs apart from Morton. Think he is short of a good centre.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Agree with most points, KP had a good game seems more settled at FB not sure where this leaves Craven. Hope to see him play like that for rest of the season. Good to see a second half performance from the team and score a few tries. Not sure why Coleman went off though injured? Wright and AOB were excellent love to see AOB here full time.
Not sure we still look like a team though . Agree with GOR about the backs apart from Morton. Think he is short of a good centre.

AOB missed at least two tackles in his first spell. We improved when Wright came on.

It's difficult to tell how good Watkinson is or might be as I can't remember him getting a half-decent pass. He did retrieve a difficult position from under the sticks in the second half though and looks like he should be used a lot more.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#34 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

AOB missed at least two tackles in his first spell. We improved when Wright came on.

It's difficult to tell how good Watkinson is or might be as I can't remember him getting a half-decent pass. He did retrieve a difficult position from under the sticks in the second half though and looks like he should be used a lot more.

He did but generally while he has been here I have been impressed , his little runs cause problems. I'd be happy to see Wright and AOB as hookers every week. Maybe it's the chopping and changing why backs haven't impressed massively.

[

#35 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Positives from today is the three points to kick start the season again,Ryan Wright back in the team,looked more solid in defence,need to build the team around,Wright,Brown and Coleman.Seeing more improvement from Pryce.Hoping to get some more players back from injury for the Swinton game.One point to think about is we had 818 people at the game today,not bad for a struggling side,Batley had around 550.Did anyone notice James Craven helping out with the scoreboard. behind the sticks today? Is this the new policy with keeping players busy when not playing?

#36 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

I thought Pryce, O'Brien, Wright, and Aizue all had good games. I agree Brown is wasted at loose forward and should refer back to stand-off. Some of the refs decisions were baffling at times. So glad we got the win though. Onwards and upwards for Thursday!

#37 MICKY1920

MICKY1920
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Match highlights

Visit my Rugby Video highlights page

http://www.youtube.com/user/MICKY1920

#38 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thought 818 was ok considering the form we have been in, thought it would lower. Not sure what Batley can do they have the product but not the attendances.

[

#39 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

ramemhard...its quiet obvious you aint followed the rams for

shall we say to be kind..not as long as us ;)
if your pleased with the drivel that was served up today..
you wouldnt know good rugby if it sat on your face and wiggled

IT WAS C.RAP !!!!!!! boring unentertaing S.H.I.T.E
2 teams who quiet clearly will do nothing.

its not win or lose that defines a team its the performance,to play as one moving in a direction together
it was nothing more than championship 1 rugby today,the team needs to be settled,for me pryce was MOTM today
not because he was a world beater...but because he looked like he wanted to make a diffence never stopped trying.
where is tebb gives 100% and dont get a game,even gallager played well today..you dont have just to be a sam tomkins
to get the limelight...just pure effort is all fans ask.
i go to a game to see my team perform and if they lose by 1 or 50 as long as they work as one and never stop
you cant knock your team PERFORMANCE !!!! not results they go hand in hand..if you get one right the other follows
im not gonna praise nobody,we beat the bottom club by 8 points at home WHOOP WHOOP brilliant fantastic didnt we do well
im sorry but...i need a little more stimulation than what i saw today to get excited..i was more excited when we lost to fev on that
horrible night...BECAUSE WE TRIED !!!!!! against a team that would wipe the floor with us.

i expect more from this club..

#40 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

ramemhard...its quiet obvious you aint followed the rams for

shall we say to be kind..not as long as us ;)
if your pleased with the drivel that was served up today..
you wouldnt know good rugby if it sat on your face and wiggled

IT WAS C.RAP !!!!!!! boring unentertaing S.H.I.T.E
2 teams who quiet clearly will do nothing.

its not win or lose that defines a team its the performance,to play as one moving in a direction together
it was nothing more than championship 1 rugby today,the team needs to be settled,for me pryce was MOTM today
not because he was a world beater...but because he looked like he wanted to make a diffence never stopped trying.
where is tebb gives 100% and dont get a game,even gallager played well today..you dont have just to be a sam tomkins
to get the limelight...just pure effort is all fans ask.
i go to a game to see my team perform and if they lose by 1 or 50 as long as they work as one and never stop
you cant knock your team PERFORMANCE !!!! not results they go hand in hand..if you get one right the other follows
im not gonna praise nobody,we beat the bottom club by 8 points at home WHOOP WHOOP brilliant fantastic didnt we do well
im sorry but...i need a little more stimulation than what i saw today to get excited..i was more excited when we lost to fev on that
horrible night...BECAUSE WE TRIED !!!!!! against a team that would wipe the floor with us.

i expect more from this club..

This post is full of contradictions!

Its not win or lose that defines a team its performance - you say - so when we lost to Fev with a good performance were you banging the 'well done' drum? Don't give me the satisfaction of hearing you say that if they free flow passed the ball, offloaded and attacked well and performed well in defence yet kept losing every match by a drop goal you would be happy!

You give Pryce MOTM (I'm surprised you can even bring yourself to say that aloud after previous thoughts) yet you don't want to praise anyone (?)  oh and you even acknowledge Gallagher played well today (is that more praise?)!!

'Pure effort is what is all the fans ask...' just let me know who didn't and when pure effort wasn't on display in the 2nd half... yes that's right when we were 6 points down and in previous games haven't scored nor not stopped the other team scoring! So in my book that is a big mental and physical effort. 

We beat the bottom club in a league that is so close that anyone outside of the top 5 (of which in GM's 1st season building a squad on a shoestring we are unlikely to reach) who loses can be put into the bottom! If we lost we're in relegation if we win we are in 6th! 

Pleased with the flowing game of rugby on display today? No! But with the pressure (so called 'supporters' have been adding to) building with each match I am pleased the team have got back to winning. Scoring in 2nd half and stopping Cougars scoring in 2nd Half... Even you must admit that is a big turn around and a platform to move on from allowing the squad to believe they can give 'pure effort' and get results.

So think hard before you post as you 'are so experienced' you know there are ups and downs in a season and the type of rugby that will entertain comes with confidence - but that comes over time not immediately! Any team that has suffered our injuries, DR working against us and pure bad luck over the 8 game streak and the 'drivel' heard from the stands would also have let their heads drop. Dark clouds have gathered over the last few games yet they have done something about it and proved they can provide 'PURE EFFORT' to move them on!

BTW - I have not at any point implied good rugby just a good win to build on... then as that builds the good rugby will follow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users