Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams 18 Keighley Cougars 10 - discuss the match here

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Try disconnecting yourself from the club
your just one cog of the current circus
and will move on once your turn is up
and a new ringmaster and circus will
surely follow..one thing youll learn about dewsbury fans...they speak from the heart weather its a broken one or one fulled with joy
things are far from right GM under estimated the championship and has been a sharp learning curve dont start bemoaning small budgets for the players thats been signed..he picked them and was happy at the time...the thing missing was the balance of youth and experience...which was got wrong.yeah in super league you can put a couple of young lads in the team and they can develope with the protection of the pro's on the field,you cant put a team of them on the field in the championship and expect them to excel...its just not how the game is and for christs sake stop the constant tinkerman rubbish...its like a lottery whos playing where...
you and i ramemhard are looking at this from 2 different angles you from inside looking out and me outside looking in...we will clash as our perception differs...but in reality we want the same thing...the club and the lads to do well

and as fans we all want that.

thats the difference between head & the heart.

;)

#42 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

You are right we do want the same thing just I would prefer to look at the positives when I spend my money..

Not connected to the club so not looking inside out just been involved for a long time in football so recognise hallmarks of low confidence and the impact on performance with injuries. It is hard to have a settled squad when the personnel are not there each week.

Always looking to the negatives as many of your posts do do not reflect the true picture as you will see positives in each game you just choose not to reward them.

But we are all different and it will keep the forum alive

#43 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Coolie , if rugby league is a circus there will always be a place for you near to our ring .

#44 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

..i was more excited when we lost to fev on that
horrible night...BECAUSE WE TRIED !!!!!! against a team that would wipe the floor with us.

Coolie

I usually resist the temptation to reply to your more cheerful postings, but if you are saying the lads didnt "try" in the second half yesterday i am lost.  They werent great and you're right a 8-0 will against the bottom team isnt fantastic, but to say they didnt try is ludicrous

#45 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Lol dont ya just love this forum lol

im not saying they didnt try
they bucked their recent trend of second half
cave ins..it happened to be the bottom so i dont take any pleasure in what the lads did..
weve a team of young individuals that GM has to mold into one unit...im not getting carried away.
fax on thursday hoping to see a few more steps going forward....but i lack the confidence that you all seem to have in the way things are going.
if weve got to the situation where we have to praise and pat each other on the back after beating a side like keighley....things are desperate.

we all know the team can do it,they proved this right up to the second half at barrow...where the slide happened and second half vs whitehaven.

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Coolie , if rugby league is a circus there will always be a place for you near to our ring .

Were you sober when you typed that GFDU?

:D

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ha Ha, I was quite enjoying not being flamed and you carrying the can!! shows people are unable to see clearly! That perhaps explains some of the comments on the match they think they see!! :rolleyes:  :D  ;)

Apologies to rammite - and you are right, I was unable to see clearly. I had a prematch pint to settle my prematch nerves. I had a half time pint to furnish me with the beer goggles required to see me through the second half, I had a postmatch beer to settle my shredded nerves, one on the way home in my local to celebrate and couple of glasses of wine with the sunday roast. Even through the bottom of two Rose' tinted glasses I could still only see a very welcome, but unconvincing win. :rolleyes:

#48 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

This post is full of contradictions!

Its not win or lose that defines a team its performance - you say - so when we lost to Fev with a good performance were you banging the 'well done' drum? Don't give me the satisfaction of hearing you say that if they free flow passed the ball, offloaded and attacked well and performed well in defence yet kept losing every match by a drop goal you would be happy!

You give Pryce MOTM (I'm surprised you can even bring yourself to say that aloud after previous thoughts) yet you don't want to praise anyone (?)  oh and you even acknowledge Gallagher played well today (is that more praise?)!!

'Pure effort is what is all the fans ask...' just let me know who didn't and when pure effort wasn't on display in the 2nd half... yes that's right when we were 6 points down and in previous games haven't scored nor not stopped the other team scoring! So in my book that is a big mental and physical effort. 

We beat the bottom club in a league that is so close that anyone outside of the top 5 (of which in GM's 1st season building a squad on a shoestring we are unlikely to reach) who loses can be put into the bottom! If we lost we're in relegation if we win we are in 6th! 

Pleased with the flowing game of rugby on display today? No! But with the pressure (so called 'supporters' have been adding to) building with each match I am pleased the team have got back to winning. Scoring in 2nd half and stopping Cougars scoring in 2nd Half... Even you must admit that is a big turn around and a platform to move on from allowing the squad to believe they can give 'pure effort' and get results.

So think hard before you post as you 'are so experienced' you know there are ups and downs in a season and the type of rugby that will entertain comes with confidence - but that comes over time not immediately! Any team that has suffered our injuries, DR working against us and pure bad luck over the 8 game streak and the 'drivel' heard from the stands would also have let their heads drop. Dark clouds have gathered over the last few games yet they have done something about it and proved they can provide 'PURE EFFORT' to move them on!

BTW - I have not at any point implied good rugby just a good win to build on... then as that builds the good rugby will follow

Coolie's big enough to look after himself but as one of the "so-called supporters" spouting the "drivel heard from the stands" I take exception to your arrogance that you understand everything and those who disagree know nothing. We've been following this club for many years, and hope to do so for many more, but we also recognise poor rugby and inadequate players when we see them. We reserve our right to voice our opinions on these as and when we see fit, so long as we are paying to be entertained by them.

HTH

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#49 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Lol dont ya just love this forum lol

....but i lack the confidence that you all seem to have in the way things are going.
if weve got to the situation where we have to praise and pat each other on the back after beating a side like keighley....things are desperate.

we all know the team can do it,they proved this right up to the second half at barrow...where the slide happened and second half vs whitehaven.

I think your comment on the fev game inferred that they didnt try yesterday.  The way things have been going lately a pat on the back and a bit of praise for yesterday was not out of place, but that siad, things are still desperate and I still am pretty short of confidence so we are still agreeing more than  disagreeing....

#50 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Micky1920.

Interesting to watch these highlights. Both teams should have had a try chalked of in my opinion - Keighley's second was passede off the floor and our third was a knock-on. Overall I felt the ref did well, however.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#51 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Coolie's big enough to look after himself but as one of the "so-called supporters" spouting the "drivel heard from the stands" I take exception to your arrogance that you understand everything and those who disagree know nothing. We've been following this club for many years, and hope to do so for many more, but we also recognise poor rugby and inadequate players when we see them. We reserve our right to voice our opinions on these as and when we see fit, so long as we are paying to be entertained by them.

HTH

Arrogance? I have never expressed the opinion that I understand everything and those who disagree know nothing!

All I understand is yesterday the lads stopped the rot and there is now a platform to move forward and get some wins as the run of bad results and collapsing is broken.

I feel the flaming and negativity after yesterday is misplaced as although I agree the rugby wasn't pretty, the effort was put in playing for the shirts to turn things around and succeeded.

Yet 'supporters' are still not happy - The word supporter includes the word support!

Things take time but there is a light at the tunnel and hopefully the lads will be bathing in it after Thursday and Swinton then the confident swagger may return and the opportunity to play free flowing rugby will come.

The team is the team we have to support them as they play in the shirt and wear the badge!

#52 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Arrogance? I have never expressed the opinion that I understand everything and those who disagree know nothing!

All I understand is yesterday the lads stopped the rot and there is now a platform to move forward and get some wins as the run of bad results and collapsing is broken.

I feel the flaming and negativity after yesterday is misplaced as although I agree the rugby wasn't pretty, the effort was put in playing for the shirts to turn things around and succeeded.

Yet 'supporters' are still not happy - The word supporter includes the word support!

Things take time but there is a light at the tunnel and hopefully the lads will be bathing in it after Thursday and Swinton then the confident swagger may return and the opportunity to play free flowing rugby will come.

The team is the team we have to support them as they play in the shirt and wear the badge!

If you wish to offer unconditional support then that is your prerogative, but it isn't my choice. Blind loyalty to any player wearing the shirt is simply not good enough - I've seen some rubbish players wear that shirt over the years and I'm sure I will do so again. By wearing the shirt they didn't become good players in the past and that holds equally so now.

I support the club loyally, but not unconditially, and will continue to do so for as long as I'm able. I want them to succeed as much as anyone else but I also reserve the right to criticise what I see as wrong or inadequate as and when I see fit and will not be dictated to by anyone else as to when my views are unacceptable. Criticise my views all that you want to, that is your right, but don't criticise me or anyone else for expressing them.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#53 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Overall I felt the ref did well, however.

Hey, keep those opinions to yourself!!!!

Next you will be saying he had a good game......that's just not possible.....is it???? lol

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#54 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I agree BSJ, but often the shoe is on the other foot and contributors saying positive things about the team are often ridiculed or accused of living in "cloud cuckoo land". Regular visitors to the forum will know that I'm an eternal optimist and will back my team regardless of results, so I've experienced the backlash first hand! It works both ways!

Never been one to boo my own team or slag off individuals on the internet. Prefer to channel my frustrations in a positive way, either by shouting even louder from the terraces or helping the club out with something it's struggling with. Call me deluded if you like, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for yesterday's match, once we started completing our sets in enemy territory we scored tries, and we were the team that looked like scoring next when the hooter sounded. It wasn't as if we were hanging on.

Thought Pryce was great and Cosgrove made a big impact from the bench.

It was a scrappy win, but I don't think we could realistically expect a champagne performance after so many weeks in the doldrums. We didn't play well and we beat a team fighting for its life against relegation. I'll take that, and I hope to see more steps forward against Halifax, particularly if we can welcome Lillycrop, Spicer and Tonks back from injury.

Also, I don't think our level of effort has been an issue at any stage of the season, and think it's a little unfair to question it. 

Edited by Tom Coates, 13 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#55 Ramemhard

Ramemhard
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

So you can criticise the 'drivel' (for want of a word) that you see on the pitch and I can criticise the 'drivel' I hear in the stands. It is all part of the admission fee and the 'entertainment'!

We are all entitled to opinions and I for one have not launched a personal attack on anyone for being disappointed by the performance nor would ever boo the team I support. 

Just pointing out that perhaps all is not as negative as some would like us to believe and it would be nice for supporters to show support to those who find themselves in the shirt.

THEY GOT A WIN!!! lets all hope they can move on and up.... WE ARE IN SIXTH! We may not have played the best rugby but the table does not lie! 

Yes I am not as old nor lived in the area for as long as you (from your posts) and have missed out on the good and bad times but I do live in the here and now and have come to support my local team having only just moved to the area.

There are problems and we all want them to be fixed yet we will all have different ideas how to fix them - now that is opinion I am interested in when solutions are tabled.... it is just I see some comments made from the stands and in this forum disappointing when there was a strong turnaround in performance yesterday i.e. THEY WON! THEY SCORED! THEY STOPPED THE TEAM FROM SCORING IN THE 2ND! They haven't done that for a long time and they may not do it again so enjoy the moment! Oh no lets moan,moan, moan!

There are a lot of positives from the game in my view and I saw things that have not been evident in the games I have seen that have given me hope that I made the right decision to see Dewsbury play and not go and watch SL or Batley. This negative doom and gloom from the stands and forums would put the casual punter off from coming again as they would feel it pointless paying the admission fee!

My opinion, my view yet you are telling me that I am not allowed to express this as this is critisising you personally???  ..... CONUNDRUM

#56 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

So you can criticise the 'drivel' (for want of a word) that you see on the pitch and I can criticise the 'drivel' I hear in the stands. It is all part of the admission fee and the 'entertainment'!

We are all entitled to opinions and I for one have not launched a personal attack on anyone for being disappointed by the performance nor would ever boo the team I support.

Just pointing out that perhaps all is not as negative as some would like us to believe and it would be nice for supporters to show support to those who find themselves in the shirt.

THEY GOT A WIN!!! lets all hope they can move on and up.... WE ARE IN SIXTH! We may not have played the best rugby but the table does not lie! 

Yes I am not as old nor lived in the area for as long as you (from your posts) and have missed out on the good and bad times but I do live in the here and now and have come to support my local team having only just moved to the area.

There are problems and we all want them to be fixed yet we will all have different ideas how to fix them - now that is opinion I am interested in when solutions are tabled.... it is just I see some comments made from the stands and in this forum disappointing when there was a strong turnaround in performance yesterday i.e. THEY WON! THEY SCORED! THEY STOPPED THE TEAM FROM SCORING IN THE 2ND! They haven't done that for a long time and they may not do it again so enjoy the moment! Oh no lets moan,moan, moan!

There are a lot of positives from the game in my view and I saw things that have not been evident in the games I have seen that have given me hope that I made the right decision to see Dewsbury play and not go and watch SL or Batley. This negative doom and gloom from the stands and forums would put the casual punter off from coming again as they would feel it pointless paying the admission fee!

My opinion, my view yet you are telling me that I am not allowed to express this as this is critisising you personally???  ..... CONUNDRUM

Just backtrack a little would you? There is no conundrum.

I haven't at any point criticised your opinions on the team performance and have in fact stated that you are perfectly entitled to hold them. I also said that you are perfectly entitled to criticise my views, but don't criticise me for holding them or expressing them. You appear to be intelligent enough to understand the difference. What I did take umbrage with, if you read my posts carefully, is your implication that those who may criticise the team's performance and fail to show unswerving loyalty are unfitted to calling themselves supporters. They have been supporters of the team for many, many seasons (and may possibly have criticised them throughout) but they are supporters nonetheless and should be recognised and respected as such.

Maybe if you used the expression "fans" that differentiation would be acceptable.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#57 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ok think we need to get this "trying" in context

im not saying for one minute any lad steps on the field not to "try" there best...not one minute

the players have an ability that they can perform too...danny jones can try as hard as he want but will never come up to danny brough on a quiet day.
its down to the level of coaching to strive to make the player better thus to achive more.

if a young player is only coached to the level he plays i.e under 21 when put against pro's or even semi pro's they will struggle to keep the intensity up for 80 minutes this is why i think the second half cave in's came more as a mental collapse rather than physicly running out of steam.
end of the day its all the young headless roosters that flap about the chicken coop,its the old experienced c.ock that sits and waits for the hens to get tired before making a move.

adding experience to this team will carry them thru.

thats whats missing. ;)

so no more talk they aint trying more like playing too their ability or in some games this season as in the fev game,playing above their ability and years.

that should be the confussion sorted...

and on the subject of old c.ocks...wheres piggy ?

#58 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Just waiting for you hens to tire before I make my move ;)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#59 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

have ya got your bags packed mate...only a matter of weeks before the ''mount for sale'' sign gets planted
it will be a sad day having to share the same stand as batley fans...already clearing my throat for chants of

''gypo's !!! gypo's !! ''

and the ''nomads of the taliban,welcome batley r.l.f.c'' tee-shirts ;)

its like xmas you know its coming,but just dont know the level of prezzies your gonna get :)

#60 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

If it were to happen Coolie at last there would be a decent team playing at the tip rat stadium ;)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users