Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is Silverwood making it up as he goes along?

Or does this sound right?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've got to say the RFL refs being on twitter is a brave fantastic move, but it could be a bumpy road.

Q - when Danny McGuire stood up and appeared to punch L'Estrange in the head, shouldnt it be a card like Poore for Wakey? https://twitter.com/...823925191393280

Felt McGuire did lash out but doesn’t really catch L’Estrange enough to warrant any more than a penalty & warning. RS https://twitter.com/...824179718529025

I must admit I am shocked that the intent doesn't seem to have been taken into account.  Surely McGuire didn't "lash out" with the intention of not hitting him?  Without trying to sound biased towards my own side, Justin Poore was sent from the field AND recieved a ban after "lashing out" following severe provocation from this year's media darling Liam Farrell.  Surely McGuire in throwing one had the same intent as Poore. 

Edited by Larry the Leit, 07 May 2013 - 07:21 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think the RFL Refs on Twitter is excellent. Don't have any problem with Silverwood's call. The refs know the rules best, they watched that incident again on video, so don't have a problem. Wasn't much room for doubt in Justin's case, was there?

There was one Tweet from the Wigan game (I think) where the ref said "Yep, got that one wrong".

Good on them.

I think if fans read the Twitter account with an open mind, many of us will learn a few things about the rules and how they are interpreted.

Fans might actually enjoy watching the games more, unless they get off in shouting themselves blue in the face telling the (professional, experienced & trained) ref, that he doesn't know the rules!!

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I think the RFL Refs on Twitter is excellent. Don't have any problem with Silverwood's call. The refs know the rules best, they watched that incident again on video, so don't have a problem. Wasn't much room for doubt in Justin's case, was there?

There was one Tweet from the Wigan game (I think) where the ref said "Yep, got that one wrong".

Good on them.

I think if fans read the Twitter account with an open mind, many of us will learn a few things about the rules and how they are interpreted.

Fans might actually enjoy watching the games more, unless they get off in shouting themselves blue in the face telling the (professional, experienced & trained) ref, that he doesn't know the rules!!

No doubt with Poore, but my point was that McGuire threw exactly the same number of punches, and simply because he missed he's not been punished.  My understanding is that intent is intent and should be punished.

I love the account, but I just wonder whether Silverwood got this wrong at the time and has chosen to justify his call with a wishy washy explanation.  I'm just seeking a bit of clarity.

#4 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Good on them.

come on, it is a known fact that these referees go into fixtures with a clear intention to ruin a day out for the fans of one team. I mean are you actually suggesting that the referees should be allowed to make errors like players (albeit less than the players)?

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

They didn't answer either of my questions, therefore I think it's rubbish!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've got to say the RFL refs being on twitter is a brave fantastic move, but it could be a bumpy road.

Q - when Danny McGuire stood up and appeared to punch L'Estrange in the head, shouldnt it be a card like Poore for Wakey? https://twitter.com/...823925191393280

Felt McGuire did lash out but doesn’t really catch L’Estrange enough to warrant any more than a penalty & warning. RS https://twitter.com/...824179718529025

I must admit I am shocked that the intent doesn't seem to have been taken into account.  Surely McGuire didn't "lash out" with the intention of not hitting him?  Without trying to sound biased towards my own side, Justin Poore was sent from the field AND recieved a ban after "lashing out" following severe provocation from this year's media darling Liam Farrell.  Surely McGuire in throwing one had the same intent as Poore. 

Why don;t you tweet them asking about the law around intent?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

I must admit I am shocked that the intent doesn't seem to have been taken into account.

Just to be clear, Silverwood is right. Unless the intent was to do something very dangerous the interpretation has always been to penalise the outcome. Personally I agree you should punish the intent, but if you do that then you end up having to send players off for air shots which no one wants, fans or players, and would be seen as damaging the game. Which is why we have the current interpretation.

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Just to be clear, Silverwood is right. Unless the intent was to do something very dangerous the interpretation has always been to penalise the outcome. Personally I agree you should punish the intent, but if you do that then you end up having to send players off for air shots which no one wants, fans or players, and would be seen as damaging the game. Which is why we have the current interpretation.

Or you'll end up with a situation where players don't routinely try to punch each other.  No bad thing.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Or you'll end up with a situation where players don't routinely try to punch each other.  No bad thing.

We already have that situation. Not an issue.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

We already have that situation. Not an issue.

Well perhaps, however I'm at a loss as to why it's okay for McGuire to swing and miss.  He's not been punished.

#11 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well perhaps, however I'm at a loss as to why it's okay for McGuire to swing and miss. He's not been punished.

Silly boy, he plays for Leeds
He can even swing and hit and remain unpunished...

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Silly boy, he plays for Leeds
He can even swing and hit and remain unpunished...

Oh dear,failed attempt at banter.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#13 Exiled Rhino

Exiled Rhino
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I do remember a lovely swinging arm from Karl Fairbank that would have sent Vince Fawcett's head over the posts if he hadn't ducked under it.  Fairbank walked for that one.  As he seemed to do in nearly every Leeds - Bradford game in the early 90s.  The other ones did connect, mind.

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Oh dear,failed attempt at banter.

Banter nothing, that ones deadly serious

#15 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton
  • Coach
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

first time i've seen that clip, Farrell s***housing then put on ######, priceless!

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Banter nothing, that ones deadly serious

Sorry,just plain pathetic then.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

first time i've seen that clip, Farrell s***housing then put on ######, priceless!

Physical intimidation is a huge part of the international game, I'm pretty sure that the Aussies will have seen that and laughed their heads off.  It should also rule him out of contention for the Man of Steel award on principle.

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

So just a week after watching McGuire lash out with a punch and getting a warning during the fixture, today we see him do it again, this time multiple punches thrown and no card for him, not even a penalty.  Wardle rightly sent off for punching, but I am perplexed as to why McGuire didn't come under scrutiny for his customary rush of blood.

He's clueless at fighting, but the intent is clear.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 May 2013 - 03:04 PM.