Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

marquee players

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Seen today on loveRL that it seems that the salary cap will not be increased but a marquee player allowance will be introduced. How many marquee players do you think should be allowed for this and how would you like to see a marquee player defined?

For me I think only one per squad otherwise it will distort the cap to much and I think that a player should have to have at least 5 international caps to be classed as marquee so that if a club wants to have an overseas player as the marquee then it only goes on the best ones.

Thoughts?
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Jamie Peacock was speaking about this on the superleague show, it didn't come accross like he'd thought it through too much, but in fairness he wasn't given much time to expand on his views.

I'm yet to see a structured argument detailing how it could work.

#3 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Think it would need to be at least two players to allow for injuries- if you are for instance a Hull or Catalans fan then you probably would not be too impressed to be told that you could not sign anyone as a replacement whilst Gareth Ellis or Scott Dureau recover from their long-term injuries.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#4 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Think it would need to be at least two players to allow for injuries- if you are for instance a Hull or Catalans fan then you probably would not be too impressed to be told that you could not sign anyone as a replacement whilst Gareth Ellis or Scott Dureau recover from their long-term injuries.

One per club, the rest of the cap is there to sign players of a good standard just as it is now.

#5 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

It will make players spot balled by opposing teams, i do feel a marginal increase in the salary cap is the way forward, we probably need a little more Sky Tv money to make it a reality though

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

If a club has a very strict wage structure, how does this affect them? If the rest of the squad know that player A is on twice as much as everyone else, would it create resentment within a squad?

#7 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

The allowance does not mean that player has to be paid much more just that their wage is not included within the cap. I guess the clubs can do what they want with it.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Aslong as they have to be English then I have no problem with it.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Aslong as they have to be English then I have no problem with it.

"English" ?

Not "British", then ?

I'm not sure that even limiting it to EU would be legal. We have to live in the framework of laws set by the Government.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

The allowance does not mean that player has to be paid much more just that their wage is not included within the cap. I guess the clubs can do what they want with it.

I don't understand why this has to be so complex. As you say, it's simply that a player's salary won't count on the cap, which will basically mean that the highest salary at the club will not be included.

This is a decent way of a) breaking the bank for real world class players who you just don't want to lose, and B) increasing the cap without giving blanket pay increases.

#11 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

I don't understand why this has to be so complex. As you say, it's simply that a player's salary won't count on the cap, which will basically mean that the highest salary at the club will not be included.

This is a decent way of a) breaking the bank for real world class players who you just don't want to lose, and B) increasing the cap without giving blanket pay increases.

Thats it, if a club wants to offer greg inglis a billion pounds they can but more likely a club could just have one other player as a top earner and clubs not spending the cap don't get priced out of the market.

#12 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hows about 2. One England International and one overseas international; Aus or NZ

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#13 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hows about 2. One England International and one overseas international; Aus or NZ

Define 'international' though. If you meant current internationals there probably wouldn't be any team who'd be able to attract Oz or NZ players.

#14 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Should only be able to do this for your home grown talent like;
Tomkins - Wigan
Sinfield - Leeds
Roby - Sts
Briscoe - Hull

Or

The player must of been at your club more than say 5years to qualify like;
Briers - Warrington
Chase - Cas ?
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

If this comes in, will they be keeping the increase to the cap for home grown players, or would this be a replacement?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Dave Solomona. He could just about fit one on.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Have we not been here before, in 2001 was there not RFL additional funding to keep Kris Radlinski and Keiran Cunningham in League so that they would not follow the likes of Henry Paul and switch to Union IIRC.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 08 May 2013 - 05:33 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Something I forgot to mention, which I read yesterday in the press release, was Blake Solly mentioning there was already a Salary Cap dispensation (of sorts) in place for players moving across from union, in this case Andy Powell and Jordan Davies.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

The recent purchases of Andy Powell to Wigan and Jordan Davies to Salford from rugby union have covered up some of the talent that will be departing Super League at the end of the season. However it does question whether the salary cap is the sole reason behind this recent exodus. 

Solly explained how clubs will benefit from bringing in players from the opposite code. He said: "We’ve got a salary cap concession for people like Andy (Powell) and Jordan Davies who has just signed for Salford. 

"They don’t go on the salary cap as full value in their first two years, so it’s something that the clubs decided a few years ago that if there were players like Andy and Jordan around, then it was an opportune time to get them in and not hurt your salary cap position.”

Here.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I would have it that every club can have one GB marquee player that only counts on the salary cap at a nominal value so you can pay them whatever you want. I would also have a 50% dispensation for a club to sign one player from union and one player from overseas, with some further dispensations for long service players too. With all this you'd probably actually need to lower the salary cap a little as every club would qualify for most of these dispensations.

Paying for it all might not be so difficult as once you get past the salary cap issue, a sponsor might be willing to pick up the marquee player's salary in its entirety. And I also wonder if there could be some form of tax on total salaries in excess of the cap which is then used to fund lower levels of the game or even out the completion.

Edited by Mushy, 09 May 2013 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users