League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bringing back promotion and relegation will set the sport back in this country several years

The return of boom and bust

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

The point is that with the proposed arrangements, the second tier will have a lot more than 3 months to build and there'll be an exciting on field fight to witness.

And with the increase in Salary cap, they won't have to start again when it come to players, they will already have or have a majority of full time pros. The increased funding and potential crowds would allow for more investment in marketing etc. I think it's a great idea.

Edited by a.n Other, 08 May 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Only because they were on the BBC with a captive audience, not because of huge interest in RL. 

In the 80s 'the average person' could have named a dozen snooker players, the same number of darts players and added in a motley collection of rugby league players and county cricketers from the Sunday League.

Hell, in 1988 everyone knew who the main striker in the British hockey team was.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Only because they were on the BBC with a captive audience, not because of huge interest in RL.

Only the challenge cup was on the BBC in the early nineties, I was already watching Eddie and Stevo on my BSB Squariel long before Super League started.

#24 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

In the 80s 'the average person' could have named a dozen snooker players, the same number of darts players and added in a motley collection of rugby league players and county cricketers from the Sunday League.

Hell, in 1988 everyone knew who the main striker in the British hockey team was.

Sean Kerly?

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Sean Kerly?

Twas indeed.

"And where were the Germans?  And, frankly, who cares?"

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Only the challenge cup was on the BBC in the early nineties, I was already watching Eddie and Stevo on my BSB Squariel long before Super League started.

Internationals? Martin Offiah? etc Lots of people knew those players but hadn't a clue about RL. It doesn't indicate RL was better then.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Internationals? Martin Offiah? etc Lots of people knew those players but hadn't a clue about RL. It doesn't indicate RL was better then.

Didn't say RL was better, but it certainly had a higher profile.

I'll concede the point about internationals, although they are on the BBC now

Actually, thinking about it, overseas internationals were on BSB or Sky, maybe highlights were on the BBC. Home internationals were certainly on the BBC though.

That was the proper international team too

Edited by Ponterover, 08 May 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Didn't say RL was better, but it certainly had a higher profile.

I'll concede the point about internationals, although they are on the BBC now

It had a higher profile yes, but by default, not because it was the go to sport of millions. That it didn't build on that or make the game a lot bigger in that era tells me that all was not quite as great as some people are claiming and that simply bringing back P&R may not be the panacea that people are claiming. (exciting as it is)

#29 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

It had a higher profile yes, but by default, not because it was the go to sport of millions. That it didn't build on that or make the game a lot bigger in that era tells me that all was not quite as great as some people are claiming and that simply bringing back P&R may not be the panacea that people are claiming. (exciting as it is)

Drifting off topic a bit, but fwiw selling up lock stock and barrell to Sky was badly timed. Significant presence (not just the waining challenge cup) should have been kept on terrestrial TV, like cricket, soccer and RU did, until we had moved to the next level.

All of course in my opinion.

Edited by Ponterover, 08 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

All those sports have nationwide representation as the key bargaining tool. RL did not have that then. Indeed it never will if some have their way.

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

That just doesn't sit with reality though does it?

Licensing has not prevented Wakey, Bulls and Salford going belly up, nor has it saved Leigh and Barrow from themselves.

Licensing has made the sport a procession of stale friendlies.

Licensing does not generate column inches in the press, P&R does.

Nobody sponsors us, because we have a low profile, see above.

Again licensing and the sl project in general isn't supposed to stop going belly up. There are many reasons for businesses to fail: you don't even have to be incompetent for your business to fail. What sl and licensing is supposed to do is manage their affairs in a more professional way, plan properly, and have clear goals that are realistic. Your own club is apparently an example of that very thing
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Drifting off topic a bit, but fwiw selling up lock stock and barrell to Sky was badly timed. Significant presence (not just the waining challenge cup) should have been kept on terrestrial TV, like cricket, soccer and RU did, until we had moved to the next level.

All of course in my opinion.

It wasn't supposed to be a panacea
But it was the salvation of a sport on the brink and your club voted for it.
Rugby league's treatment at the hands of the bbc was nothing like that if soccer, cricket, and rugby union in just about every aspect. All of these sports have lucrative partnership with sky.
The sky deal gave rugby league a fresh chance to break away from the historic shackles that had been holding it back. That chance to a great extent has been taken, thibgs were bound to gi wgrong and have, but it also has been hampered by small minded self interest amongst other factors.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I mean players

alex murphy, jim mills, martin offiah, jonathon davies, paul newlove, ellery hanley, need i really go on???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#34 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

But it has been doing - the clubs going bust are ones that have been poorly run, not just the ones chasing promotion

Bit like Cas and Widnes when they both chased promotion, one club came up, one club went bust - they were interchangeable depending on the result of one promotion match

Moreover there IS a route into super league, and one that is sustainable - again as Widnes have admirably proved. They earned their elevation and then could take a longer term, stable plan to secure their presence in SL

IF they had been in peril of relegation they would have spent a packet to fight it off, and may not have succeeded

Why am I saying this? It's been said a million times and borne out in history.

This game is determined to destroy itself on the altar of P&R that has never worked

Widnes certainly didn't earn it on the pitch, they never even reached the grand final despite having the best budget. In the last season in the championship Fev put 40 past them home and away. The license has been a disaster and isn't sport, its just about SL protecting themselves. Promotion decided mid season in a boardroom every 3 years is an absolute disgrace.

#35 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

No it isn't

Hth

#36 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

So do I...Except the bit about it taking a few years, think it will be a lot quicker.

I think in an ideal world everyone would like P & R, unfortunately in RL world this means a huge leap from semi pro to a full time operation in just a few weeks when pre-season is taken into account.

then don't promote the same year make them wait another season give them time to prepare and build a team.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

licensing has allowed teams like widnes to be promoted and develop whilst in super league, we are gradually building a squad that will be competetive in super league as opposed to ###### or bust. can you imagine last seasons championship grand final winners (4th place sheffield) in super league this season regularly getting 50 or 60 points put past them every week with perhaps 800 home fans, what good would that be to the development of the game?

bloody hell i agree with him................

#38 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Again licensing and the sl project in general isn't supposed to stop going belly up. There are many reasons for businesses to fail: you don't even have to be incompetent for your business to fail. What sl and licensing is supposed to do is manage their affairs in a more professional way, plan properly, and have clear goals that are realistic. Your own club is apparently an example of that very thing

OT you say your club but you're a Fev fan aren't you?

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Widnes certainly didn't earn it on the pitch, they never even reached the grand final despite having the best budget. In the last season in the championship Fev put 40 past them home and away. The license has been a disaster and isn't sport, its just about SL protecting themselves. Promotion decided mid season in a boardroom every 3 years is an absolute disgrace.

Widnes certainly did earn it on the pitch, which promotion criteria did they not achieve.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#40 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

OT you say your club but you're a Fev fan aren't you?

Fell out with the club by all accounts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users