League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bringing back promotion and relegation will set the sport back in this country several years

The return of boom and bust

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Only the challenge cup was on the BBC in the early nineties, I was already watching Eddie and Stevo on my BSB Squariel long before Super League started.

Challenge Cup

Regal Trophy

Home Internationals (including the likes of Wigan v Australia)

An example of the differences to now:

Wigan were on the BBC 6 times live in 92/93

5 times in 93/94

8 times in 94/95

I have no records for other teams.

#42 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

alex murphy, jim mills, martin offiah, jonathon davies, paul newlove, ellery hanley, need i really go on???

So I think we're agreeing that there were loads of household names then, not so many (if any at all) now

#43 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

OT you say your club but you're a Fev fan aren't you?

No
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#44 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Fell out with the club by all accounts

Who is this 'all' you speak of? Where do they get the information to make these 'accounts'?
I most certainly haven't 'fallen out' with featherstone rovers. I just haven't any connection wuth them for my own reasons.

I still enjoy the game.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 May 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Keeping it local

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

So I think we're agreeing that there were loads of household names then, not so many (if any at all) now

I doubt whether any of these people were household names: most households aren't interested in sport especially rugby league

Then as if now most households can think of a soccer player...Rooney, and Beckham more than likely, as for union: back in the day will carling because if princess Diana, and nowadays jonny wilkinson who is now at the end if his career anyway.
Keeping it local

#46 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've been watching, listening and reading with both interest and shock at proposals and calls for the return of promotion/relegation.

Bringing back p&r would be totally the wrong decision for Super League and a return to boom and bust where clubs move between the championship and SL without stability, at the time licensing was introduced there were tangible reasons why it was felt it had to be implemented, those being allowing clubs to develop and put the right structures in place without fear of relegation as time in the top flight would bring about a continued development of professionalism both on and off the field strengthening the competitiveness of the sport.
Also we wanted clubs to have the time to develop young players without looking at the quick fixes of importing aussies and kiwis and the threat of relegation hanging over everyone's heads.

In short I actually think the suggested proposals are a cop out and don't challenge head on the underlying and real issues of the sport, which is lack of sponsorship, adding value to the SL product, players moving to NRL/Union, media presence and the geographical spread of the sport at the top level so in my books the sport will continue to be underlings to the NRL and Union.

We are pandering to the lowest common denominator and trying to cut a slice of the SL TV money pie to everyone who wants a piece of the action when the initial purpose of SL was elite competition with elite players and clubs.....this will not address the problems and predict that should these proposals go through we will be back discussing the same problems within the game in a few years time.

Completely disagree

Who wants to sponsor a sport that only has 14 clubs with the rest left to rot? Who wants to sponsor a top league with meaningless games for lower teams. Who wants to invest in a club outside SL when there is absolutely no guarantee your cash investment will get you up. Who wants to watch meaningless games outside SL? Who wants to watch a newly formed club in their thousands when there is no chance of SL for a millenia?

Licensing benefits one club really - Wakey. Is it right that the needs of one club outweighs the needs of everyone else?

As a regular London fan I cannot wait for relegation to return. It will "Buck" the team up and see a return to proper games rather than the terdy friendly-like games near the season end

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 08 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#47 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

We seem to have a lot of people who spend too little time in the real world. The general public want p&r, it's part of the culture in the UK, in the same way it isn't in Australia or USA. That's the same GP you have to attract to the product to replace the ones walking away.
Global sport changed with the income from Tv, compArisons before and after are silly, what is relevant is how we have done against our primary competitors, soccer and RU in that time- anyone thinking well needs their head examined, we have gone backward at pace, yet both have retained p&r

#48 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

We seem to have a lot of people who spend too little time in the real world. The general public want p&r, it's part of the culture in the UK, in the same way it isn't in Australia or USA. That's the same GP you have to attract to the product to replace the ones walking away.
Global sport changed with the income from Tv, compArisons before and after are silly, what is relevant is how we have done against our primary competitors, soccer and RU in that time- anyone thinking well needs their head examined, we have gone backward at pace, yet both have retained p&r

what he said :D

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#49 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've been watching, listening and reading with both interest and shock at proposals and calls for the return of promotion/relegation. 

Bringing back p&r would be totally the wrong decision for Super League and a return to boom and bust where clubs move between the championship and SL without stability, at the time licensing was introduced there were tangible reasons why it was felt it had to be implemented, those being allowing clubs to develop and put the right structures in place without fear of relegation as time in the top flight would bring about a continued development of professionalism both on and off the field strengthening the competitiveness of the sport. 
Also we wanted clubs to have the time to develop young players without looking at the quick fixes of importing aussies and kiwis and the threat of relegation hanging over everyone's heads. 

In short I actually think the suggested proposals are a cop out and don't challenge head on the underlying and real issues of the sport, which is lack of sponsorship, adding value to the SL product, players moving to NRL/Union, media presence and the geographical spread of the sport at the top level so in my books the sport will continue to be underlings to the NRL and Union. 

We are pandering to the lowest common denominator and trying to cut a slice of the SL TV money pie to everyone who wants a piece of the action when the initial purpose of SL was elite competition with elite players and clubs.....this will not address the problems and predict that should these proposals go through we will be back discussing the same problems within the game in a few years time.

Absolutely spot on.

It's fans of your club I most feel for really. The sport just gave up lock, stock and barrel on expansion into new markets. You deserve much better, as do all of us.

#50 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Where are we going to get all these new Fulltime players from for SL2 or will it be a mix of FT/PT players?

#51 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

It isn't a question of wanting it: although by saying that you touch an important element of this dreary debate. It is possible to want p and r but consider it inappropriate because of the circumstances the sport finds itself in. So many people, who by the way are members if the public like anyone else, say that it is not appropriate and invariably give detailed information why qv. even though they wish it were feasible. On the other hand you have people who want p and r because it suits them. It's what they want and nothing else will do no matter what. I find this attitude self serving and small minded.
Do you seriously believe that rugby league is or ever was a 'competitor' of soccer: the most widespread, popular and wealthiest sport in the world? For crying out loud.
Keeping it local

#52 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Where are we going to get all these new Fulltime players from for SL2 or will it be a mix of FT/PT players?

1/ Part timers stepping up to full time
2/ Young already-pro lads at existing SL clubs
3/ Young academy lads outside SL
4/ RU (my own club Leigh used to recruit many a good either well known or unknown RU player. I think this is now more attractive since RU went pro).
5/ Local amateur setups (ours is one of the best in the country)
6/ pro's already at clubs which have oversized squads ( i.e. those clubs hoarding players and gben shipping them out to the Championship

#53 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

It isn't a question of wanting it: although by saying that you touch an important element of this dreary debate. It is possible to want p and r but consider it inappropriate because of the circumstances the sport finds itself in. So many people, who by the way are members if the public like anyone else, say that it is not appropriate and invariably give detailed information why qv. even though they wish it were feasible. On the other hand you have people who want p and r because it suits them. It's what they want and nothing else will do no matter what. I find this attitude self serving and small minded.
Do you seriously believe that rugby league is or ever was a 'competitor' of soccer: the most widespread, popular and wealthiest sport in the world? For crying out loud.

I genuinely believe that the proposed triple 8 division could bring in many new rich backers at the clubs outside SL. I also feel it can speed up promotion to SL for our new clubs. I really hope we'll see Cru back in the top flight in 2-3 years

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,815 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sponsors seem to fall over themselves to get involved in the Premier League. It can't be due to the competition element because only 2 or 3 teams stand a chance. The rest have to settle for the Eufa cup or not getting relegated.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#55 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Who is this 'all' you speak of? Where do they get the information to make these 'accounts'?
I most certainly haven't 'fallen out' with featherstone rovers. I just haven't any connection wuth them for my own reasons.

I still enjoy the game.

What's you're reason for becoming disconnected with Fev? (If you don't want to say on here that's fine and I apologise for prying, just generally curios)

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I genuinely believe that the proposed triple 8 division could bring in many new rich backers at the clubs outside SL. I also feel it can speed up promotion to SL for our new clubs. I really hope we'll see Cru back in the top flight in 2-3 years

Lobby mate I couldn't care less. I've adopted the philosophy if the self serving reactionaries: and I'm now only bothered about what suits me . Therefore all I care about is whether there's a game to watch and enjoy. Everyone else with their little self serving agendas can kiss my ass. I think Toulouse wod bring far more to sl than any of the clubs in the championship though: but hey ho
Keeping it local

#57 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

1/ Part timers stepping up to full time
2/ Young already-pro lads at existing SL clubs
3/ Young academy lads outside SL
4/ RU (my own club Leigh used to recruit many a good either well known or unknown RU player. I think this is now more attractive since RU went pro).
5/ Local amateur setups (ours is one of the best in the country)
6/ pro's already at clubs which have oversized squads ( i.e. those clubs hoarding players and gben shipping them out to the Championship

lobby the two leigh amateur clubs are struggling to field teams at under 15 and under 16 to 18, so the production line is drying up and you forgot to mention the obvious source for players..............the antipodes
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

What's you're reason for becoming disconnected with Fev? (If you don't want to say on here that's fine and I apologise for prying, just generally curios)

Personal reasons to do with life outside rugby league: ie the fact that there is one
And other reasons none of which relate to the club and the people who run it or are employed by it.
That's all I want to say
And I thank you for your interest
Cw
Keeping it local

#59 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

sl should be something to aim for for a club and its fans, something for the 10 year old supporters of halifax to go to bed dreaming about, NOT a given right because you have more shiney plastic seats than your local rival, sport is just that , its SPORT! about winning -losing- failing- bettering yourselves against others, dreaming, aiming, hoping, celebrating, joy, despair NOT how good the burger bar is!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#60 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

People who believe SL signalled the demise of the game over here in the mid 90's are barking up the wrong tree. The major factor attributed to RL's lessening impact on mainstream media was the professionalism of Union. That meant RL could no longer attract the best players from both codes.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users