Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bringing back promotion and relegation will set the sport back in this country several years

The return of boom and bust

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Newspapers are yesterdays medium. The poster was mentioning the coverage of the soccer promotion/relegation clashes on Sky Sports.

Since Sky cover RL and relegated/promoted teams would be either leaving or joining their coverage, it would be in their interest to A) cover the p and r news for their viewers and B) hype up any relegation battles they might be covering on their slate of televised games.

The media landscape is vastly changed since 1977. I don't think that's a relevant comparison.

Whooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Padge, 09 May 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#102 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

kevin brown and gareth hock, which marquee signings did your club make????

Hock is a loan signing from Wigan, Kevin Brown is about at marquee as Tommy Saxton.

#103 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

kevin brown and gareth hock, which marquee signings did your club make????

Looking forward to seeing your signing Hock play for you next season.

#104 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hock is a loan signing from Wigan, Kevin Brown is about at marquee as Tommy Saxton.

No need to bring our players into this debate lol. But I will say id rather have tommy lol.

Edited by thundergaz, 09 May 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#105 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

so come on which marquee signings did your club make for this season???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#106 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Looking forward to seeing your signing Hock play for you next season.

thats ok danny tickle is taking his place, who are barrow signing again??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#107 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

thats ok danny tickle is taking his place, who are barrow signing again??

Fantastic you may break into the top ten now.

#108 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Fantastic you may break into the top ten now.

the top 10 in super league is much higher than the bottom 10 in the championships...

#109 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

People who keep saying p and r won't work because there's little chance of part-timers from the championship being able to compete in the top division are probably right but aren't looking at the other possibility, which surely is to make the top division part- time again? All this argument counts for nothing. The simple truth is that rugby league is a minority sport played in a few small areas in the North and neither generates enough revenue to support all these full-time teams nor can it produce a big enough pool of players.
Super league couldn't care less what happened in the lower divisions. Bradford go bust with debts is £1.5 m get bailed out, York go bust with debts of £50,000, no one cares.
Super league may have raised fitness levels and given players time to spend all day in the gym and tattoo parlour, but it's so samey and boring. Wingers valued more for their ability to jump up and catch kicks rather than run fast and swerve past defenders. Forwards routinely getting spelled after 20 minutes etc. Bring back part time players and p and r and let's live within our means and make the game truly sustainable (and maybe more interesting?)
I used to literally get a shiver run up my spine watching the game in the 70s. Now I spend most of my time yawning.

#110 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

People who keep saying p and r won't work because there's little chance of part-timers from the championship being able to compete in the top division are probably right but aren't looking at the other possibility, which surely is to make the top division part- time again? All this argument counts for nothing. The simple truth is that rugby league is a minority sport played in a few small areas in the North and neither generates enough revenue to support all these full-time teams nor can it produce a big enough pool of players.

The simple truth is the game is contracted to deliver to SKY an elite professional competition

There is no option to go part time without rejecting the SKY contract.

Reject that and the game will end up smaller than it was when it used to interest you.

#111 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

so come on which marquee signings did your club make for this season???

We got an ex-SOO prop forward, but trinity don't do marquee signings these days as it's a waste of money.  Let me get this right, are you now saying that Brown is a marquee signing or not?  You seem somewhat confused.

#112 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

you mean justin poore, another thug from the antipodes? and yes kevin brown is a marquee signing!!

#113 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

you mean justin poore, another thug from the antipodes? and yes kevin brown is a marquee signing!!

Had he signed for Widnes St Maries then I'd agree.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 May 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#114 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

yes kevin brown who has played continually in super league for his entire career and has represented his country!! but don't take that from me just look at how highly he is rated by people in the game.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 10 May 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#115 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

yes kevin brown who has played continually in super league for his entire career and has represented his country!! but don't take that from me just look at how highly he is rated by people in the game.

He started at Wigan, got shifted to Huddersfield, and now is at Widnes.  Would you describe that as an upwards curve?

#116 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

he is part of the rejuvenation of our club and will play an important part in our development. his replacement is already in place at the club in danny craven so when kevin goes it will be a seamless transition without signing some overrated antipodean.

#117 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

he is part of the rejuvenation of our club and will play an important part in our development. his replacement is already in place at the club in danny craven so when kevin goes it will be a seamless transition without signing some overrated antipodean.

He's as marquee as Frank Winterstein.

#118 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm shocked anyone really believes that P&R will do anything other than harm RL in the UK. No surprises the only morons pushing that barrow are self-interested parties who cannot see past the end of their own nose.

Spot on.

#119 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

He's as marquee as Frank Winterstein.

Nice one

#120 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,128 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'm shocked anyone really believes that P&R will do anything other than harm RL in the UK. No surprises the only morons pushing that barrow are self-interested parties who cannot see past the end of their own nose.

There are no morons on this forum; not now anyway
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users