Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

10/05/13 - CCup5 - Hull FC v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Which team will go through to the next round? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team will go through to the next round?

1. Hull FC (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Discuss this Tetley's Challenge Cup fifth round tie here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Referee: T Roby

Touch Judge: C Kendall

Touch Judge: W Turley

Reserve: R Thompson

Match Commissioner: S Cross

In Goal: T Hudson

In Goal: B Robinson

Time Keeper: C Morris

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hull FC squad: Josh Bowden, Tom Briscoe, Jason Crookes, Ben Crooks, Gareth Ellis, Chris Green, Daniel Holdsworth, Aaron Heremaia, Richard Horne, Danny Houghton, Paul Johnson, Tom Lineham, Andy Lynch, Shannon McDonnell, Mark O'Meley, Jay Pitts, Liam Watts, Richard Whiting, Kirk Yeaman.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Agar to get his old club .Wakey by 10

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Wakefield squad: Richard Mathers, Peter Fox, Dean Collis, Lee Smith, Ben Cockayne, Tim Smith, Justin Poore, Paul Aiton, Andy Raleigh, Ali Lauiti'iti, Danny Kirmond, Danny Washbrook, Kyle Wood, Kyle Amor, Oliver Wilkes, Vince Mellars, Matty Wildie, Chris Annakin, Jon Molloy.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Ellis excited by the lure of the Challenge Cup

Hull FC captain Gareth Ellis is primed and ready to hit the Wembley trail when he makes his long-overdue Tetley’s Challenge Cup ‘debut’ against his former club Wakefield Trinity Wildcats on Friday night (8.00).
Ellis tasted Super League action for the first time this year in Hull FC’s 48-12 victory over London last week and having come through the match in good health, is relishing the cut and thrust of a Challenge Cup fifth round tie.
The England international was sidelined by a foot injury sustained in the warm up on the opening day of the season, leading to a frustrating few months out for a player who joined Hull FC at the end of 2012 after a successful four-year stint in the NRL with Wests Tigers.
“It was great to be playing again and fantastic to get the reception I did from the passionate Hull FC fans,” said Ellis.
“I’ve been lucky with injury throughout my career and that made the last few months all the more frustrating. Thankfully that period is behind me now and I’m looking to kick on.
“The Challenge Cup is unique and it’s going to be a special match for me on Friday. When I was considering all my options in Sydney, the chance to play in a Challenge Cup final at Wembley was something that helped sway my decision to come back to England.
“I was lucky enough to play at Wembley with England in the Four Nations in 2011 and it’s an incredible venue. To lead out Hull FC in August would be an amazing experience but that’s not something that anyone here is talking about right now.
“There’s a lot of rugby to be played between now and then and we know we are going to have to be at the top of our game against a Wakefield team which is in good form at the moment.”
Wakefield will head for the KC Stadium buoyed by an impressive 30-12 defeat of Catalan Dragons on Sunday and Ellis is acutely aware how much an extended Cup run will mean to his old club.
“I started my career at Wakefield and know from experience that the Challenge Cup will be a massive target for everyone at the club,” said Ellis, who spent five years at Belle Vue before joining Leeds Rhinos in 2005.
“They’re a very well drilled team and we know they will come to the KC in determined mood with a strong following. It would be great to see as many Hull FC there as possible to join us on what we hope will be a very special journey.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#7 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I would expect us to carry on with our improvement over the last five games now that Ellis and Holdsworth are back to near full fitness again. Wakey will not only have to watch these two but Crooks and Lineham are scoring tries for fun at the minute, FC by 10.

Edited by westhuller, 08 May 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#8 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

FC have too much in all areas - FC by 16 :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#9 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Should be a cracking game.Could go either way but Hull by 5/6 points.

#10 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Washbrook sets sights on place in Cup history

Wakefield Trinity star Danny Washbrook says the prospect of earning a place in Rugby League’s history books will be a huge driving force when the Wildcats face his former club Hull FC in a Tetley’s Challenge Cup fifth round tie on Friday, May 10 (8.00pm).
Washbrook will go up against his former club on the 50thanniversary of Wakefield’s last Challenge Cup triumph, when they beat Wigan 25-10 in 1963, and he says the prospect of joining the famous names from that era on the list of Wembley winners is a massive incentive for everyone at the club.
“It’s good to still be involved at this stage,” said Washbrook. “Personally, it’s nice to be in the mix as over the past few years I’ve gone out at the fourth round stage which has been disappointing.
“I’m looking forward to the game against Hull. It’s always good to go up against one of your former clubs but I’ll be focusing on the day the same way as I would do for any other game – it’s important we keep our concentration because there are no second chances in the Cup.
“It’s 50 years almost to the day since Wakefield last won the trophy and we’re all aware of that and we’re all aware of the club’s proud tradition in the competition. It would be fantastic for us if we could celebrate that landmark by progressing through this round and going all the way this season.
“Every player in the competition grows up with the Challenge Cup and knows the history of the competition and everyone loves it. We all want to win it and the chance to get your name in the record books is something everyone desires.”
Wakefield have struggled to recapture the form that saw them record seven consecutive victories at the end of 2012 and have won just five games during Super League so far this season with one of those defeats coming against Hull FC when they met in April, but Washbrook says that league form will have no bearing this weekend.
“The Tetley’s Challenge Cup is all about winning,” he said. “You can be having a poor run in the league but it all goes out the window in the Cup.
“At Hull in 2008 we made the final during a season where we were up and down in the league, so that gives us confidence going into the game.
“There can be times during the league when in the last stages of the game, you may ease up if you know it’s out of your reach or if you are comfortably ahead, but in cup games it’s full-on for the whole game and that pressure means it’s all or nothing on the day.
“I know we’ll be going out there to win and we’ll be giving it our all until the final whistle.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hull FC, by 16.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

About 500 here from Wakey, lively start by both teams

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Horne try, 6-0.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ellis over, 10-0.

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yeaman over, 16-0.

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Pitts over, 20-0.

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Lauititi over, 20-6.

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Pitts' 2nd, 24-6.

1 minute left.

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

24-6 game over.

#20 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Great result for us tonight against a very strong Wakey team. Our defence was superb tonight holding out for back to back sets on our line. Youngster Chris Green was fantastic for us in the middle tonight for the Wildcats Amor had a very good game ran really strongly for them all game. Another game under the belt for Ellis and Holdsworth with Ellis opening his try account for us tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users