Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

11/05/13 - CCup5 - Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos - 2.30pm (BBC)

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Which team will go through to the next round? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team will go through to the next round?

1. Huddersfield Giants (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Leeds Rhinos (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Oh, and Hardaker's claims to be a safer option under the high ball than the incumbent England number 1 look decidedly ropy to me - great player though he is on attack.

What, due to one drop early in the game? He was safe as houses after that.

I actually thought it was his worst game in attack in a long time otherwise though. Continuously took the wrong option when coming into the line and blew a lot of chances wide of him by keeping the ball.

Edited by Harrigan, 11 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#142 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

HA!

How did Ganson turn down Cordings try

I watched at home, I thought Ganson's ego got in the way.

#143 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Was the worlds greatest player playing today ?

Quarterback I think.

#144 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Danny McGuire punches out on numerous occasions doesnt even got a talking to

Joe Wardle gets shoved by ablett, words between them then punches out and gets a red card????

Is it me???

I think the reason Wardle got a red was that it was a continued assault where Ablett didn't even get his hands up never mind throw one back. One or two cracks would've been a yellow, but he kept going at him.

Good win for the Giants, their defense worked hard for each other and Brough certainly was the most capable half on the pitch. Leeds looked like they struggled to get into the gear required to keep up.

#145 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

A far more likely scenario is that Sinfield will tantrum at the ref until a Giants player is incorrectly sent off.

Well, almost right!

#146 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

McGuire appears to be on the eve of destruction.

B'dum tish.

One for the oldies......

#147 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

What, due to one drop early in the game? He was safe as houses after that.

I agree.

The variable wind made things difficult at times today, particularly under the high ball. It also made timing of the split second, shot or bust passes difficult at times. One dropped ball in those conditions is no disgrace.

#148 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Immense performance from Huddersfield who totally outplayed their opponents, exposing the limitations of this supposedly "great" Leeds side by simply getting in their face and refusing to go away.

Huddersfield's win was all the more remarkable as not only did they have to defeat Leeds, they also had to defeat an incredibly pro-Leeds refereeing performance by the all the match officials. Huddersfield had a perfectly good try disallowed, Leeds were never onside and should have had men sent to the sin bin for employing their usual tactic of giving away penalties deliberately once their opponents got any momemtum. The amount of Leeds forward passes that went unpunished reached comedic proportions and I'd love to know how Maguire throws punches and stays on yet wardle throws punches and has to go off? The special relationship at work again if you ask me.

Anyway, the best side won in the end and it was wonderful to see Sinfield, Maguire, Bailey and the rest of them, including the truly dreadful Hetheringtons, skulking around at the finish with faces like smacked aaaarses.

Well done Huddy - gggrrreat result for Rugby League!!! I'm absolutely delighted!!!!

#149 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

RLFans is that way ->

Bite from a bitter whino
bluewhitearmy

#150 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Immense performance from Huddersfield who totally outplayed their opponents, exposing the limitations of this supposedly "great" Leeds side by simply getting in their face and refusing to go away.

Huddersfield's win was all the more remarkable as not only did they have to defeat Leeds, they also had to defeat an incredibly pro-Leeds refereeing performance by the all the match officials. Huddersfield had a perfectly good try disallowed, Leeds were never onside and should have had men sent to the sin bin for employing their usual tactic of giving away penalties deliberately once their opponents got any momemtum. The amount of Leeds forward passes that went unpunished reached comedic proportions and I'd love to know how Maguire throws punches and stays on yet wardle throws punches and has to go off? The special relationship at work again if you ask me.

Anyway, the best side won in the end and it was wonderful to see Sinfield, Maguire, Bailey and the rest of them, including the truly dreadful Hetheringtons, skulking around at the finish with faces like smacked aaaarses.

Well done Huddy - gggrrreat result for Rugby League!!! I'm absolutely delighted!!!!

Fantastic.

Seems like it's been ages.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#151 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

B'dum tish.

One for the oldies......

Tell me,over and over again my friend.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#152 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,604 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Leeds special relationship...

Posted Image

#153 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Oh, and Hardaker's claims to be a safer option under the high ball than the incumbent England number 1 look decidedly ropy to me - great player though he is on attack.

I've a lot of time for Tomkins. But obviously as a Fev fan I'm also a big fan of Zak.  Last year in the cup tie at P O Road, Tomkins knocked on under his own posts.  It's wasn't a fifty-fifty he clearly knocked on, I saw it live, and I saw it again on the video. He got a way with it - the ref for some reason didn't give it, and on the next play he mysteriously awarded Wigan a penalty. Zak was not so lucky.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#154 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I used to feel like that about Wigan when they were in their pomp, but I've got over it. Leeds are a very, very good team, In  the GF last year Sinny withstood all the ###### Wire could throw at him and came up with a matchwinning performance.  Yesterday he didn't because Huddersfield were too good. Especially their defence at the start of the second half.  Sinny, Peacock, Burrow and McGuire are all old men in RL terms.  In particular I thought McGuire had a very poor game.  If Huddersfield can keep up that sort of form it will take a very good side to stop them.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#155 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Well done to Leeds for the numbers they brought over yesterday, Game wise they were just beaten by a better side on the day, It was a great game and a good performance from the Giants, I have to say that Leeds do appear sometimes to  get more than their fair share of the calls, but in this instance that may be just my bias. Would love another home tie, would rather not meet Wigan or Wolves at this stage though, Hull at home would be good, they travel well in big games and it would be another great match.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#156 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm blooming well hoping wire draw Wigan in the next round and get dumped out of the cup

Purely based on the fact that Huddersfield can beat anyone but Wire at the moment lol

#157 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,624 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Believe me; this isn't sour grapes.

I think Leeds are over-reliant on three players ... Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow. All are now 30 and looked a bit vulnerable yesterday, especially McGuire.

For over thirty years, the Leeds academy has been turning out top players, and Kallum Watkins and Jamie Jones Bishop have come through recently. However, I haven't seen any star-potential playmakers on the horizon.

I think the club ought to start buying now. Two needed for next season.

In addition, their two best props have limited lifespans and there are no obvious replacements within the squad

A spending spree is a must.

Unfortunately, ( a ) we have three good halfbacks and ( b ) we need the money.

:(

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#158 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think Leeds are over-reliant on three players ... Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow. All are now 30 and looked a bit vulnerable yesterday, especially McGuire.

For over thirty years, the Leeds academy has been turning out top players, and Kallum Watkins and Jamie Jones Bishop have come through recently. However, I haven't seen any star-potential playmakers on the horizon.

In addition, their two best props have limited lifespans and there are no obvious replacements within the squad

Stevie Ward.

#159 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

We have some good halfs coming through currently and Liam Sutcliffe had been 18th man for the last month. The reason no one knows about them is because we have Sinfield and McGuire who haven't really missed a game in 2 years.

Edited by Harrigan, 12 May 2013 - 11:06 AM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#160 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Maybe a subject for another thread but I can't see Sammut moving to a club like Leeds, he's a bit too unreliable for them. Controversially I think we have actually looked worse since Gale returned to the squad. I can't remember him ever having an outstanding game for us.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users