TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

12/05/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Agreed. I know of at least three people - my wife and children - who didn't fancy it because of the weather. Pennine Way is quite high up and exposed anyway, add sitting on that stand and it really does get quite nasty up there weather-wise.

Aptly named then. All Hemel need now is a few old blokes moaning about the good old days and they'll be fully integrated.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#22 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well Oxford proved to be as tough an opposition as I thought they would be and put up incredible defence against Crusaders and got the bonus point I predicted and they deserved.  A smashing ground in a great setting with a historic club house. A very enjoyable trip with our fans although we do appear to have upset one Oxford fan on Facebook who compared us to a football crowd. I have not seem negative comments on Cru fans previously and the criticism comes as something of a shock.  I resent being compared to a football crowd; our fans are loud, proud and passionate but always humorous and respectful.

#23 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think in the early days you're going to get a bit of a culture clash. The Oxford fan in question is probably a Union guy who is finally seeing the light and isnt used to a more lively spectating experience. I got upbraided by an All Golds fan and received several more disgusted looks for making noise whilst they tried for a conversion with the scoreline still close. They'll all get used to our barbaric ways eventually

#24 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

I walked around the ground as the game was played at Oxford and had some good conversations with various people (London Irish shirts etc). Everybody I spoke to was new to Rugby League but all only had positive things to say. I think you are spot on Rascal Bongo Stork. I remember going to York for the first time with Celtic Crusaders and myself (From Salford) and supporters club chairman (From Doncaster)were having a noisy conversation as a York player lined up a conversion. Some of the Welsh lads who were newly converted from RU thought we should be quiet! They soon learned when they saw that opposition supporters did everything they could to put off out kickers. Not saying what is right or wrong here. Just pointing out the cultural differences.

#25 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

we came so close at 12-12 then eventually lost, happy we got a bonus point takes us to 5 points from 4 games that's the best for us in 4seasons apart from crusaders away our other 3 games 1 win and 2 very close defeats its a big improvement on past seasons for us and im so happy that we not getting a good hiding every game were competitive now and look a lot better team, we will improve further as season goes on, tough 1 next v Oldham away wont be easy for us though we'll be competitive once more im sure, roll on Oldham.....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well Oxford proved to be as tough an opposition as I thought they would be and put up incredible defence against Crusaders and got the bonus point I predicted and they deserved.  A smashing ground in a great setting with a historic club house. A very enjoyable trip with our fans although we do appear to have upset one Oxford fan on Facebook who compared us to a football crowd. I have not seem negative comments on Cru fans previously and the criticism comes as something of a shock.  I resent being compared to a football crowd; our fans are loud, proud and passionate but always humorous and respectful.

Your fans are fantastic.  Don't let anyone tell you any different!

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

we came so close at 12-12 then eventually lost, happy we got a bonus point takes us to 5 points from 4 games that's the best for us in 4seasons apart from crusaders away our other 3 games 1 win and 2 very close defeats its a big improvement on past seasons for us and im so happy that we not getting a good hiding every game were competitive now and look a lot better team, we will improve further as season goes on, tough 1 next v Oldham away wont be easy for us though we'll be competitive once more im sure, roll on Oldham.....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

I was so hoping that Thunder would manage back to back wins!  Had they done so then IMO that would have been a real morale boost for team, coach and fans.  But a bonus point is not to be sniffed at.  Hoping there will be another win for Thunder soon.

#28 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think in the early days you're going to get a bit of a culture clash. The Oxford fan in question is probably a Union guy who is finally seeing the light and isnt used to a more lively spectating experience. I got upbraided by an All Golds fan and received several more disgusted looks for making noise whilst they tried for a conversion with the scoreline still close. They'll all get used to our barbaric ways eventually

IF he is a union fan then he must have led a very sheltered life too. If he had been at the Millennium Stadium for Wales v England in this years 6 Nation I wonder would he have been shushing the crowd?  I doubt also he has been to Clermont Auvergne in Marsailles, probably one of the noisiest crowds in rugby of either code.

Lets hope Oxford fans come along to the Racecourse an enjoy the atmosphere; they will receive the warm welcome we give to all our away visitors.

#29 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm sure there are noisy rugger crowds - not heard them myself as I'd rather have nails driven into my head than watch it - but if you're an Oxfordshire club rugger man or maybe go along to watch Oxford University then you're not going to get oiks singing in the style of football fans, beastly business altogether

#30 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

What was the crowd at Oxford?

#31 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Given as 374 but didn't look quite that many to me. I actually counted 150 in the home stand and Crusaders took about 75, but there were others dotted around the ground and maybe, considering some were in the bar, 374 could be correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users