Ben Harrison

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Set to play for Swinton on Sunday, tbh I'd be quiet embarrassed to be a Swinton fan

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

And maybe Morley the following weekend. What a joke!

Posted Image

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

###### JOKE!!!!!! :angry:

#4 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Who actually cares. I'd be happy to see either of these 2 or briers playing against barrow at craven park.
1 player doesn't make a team, might help draw a few more in through the gate

#5 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's not in the spirit of the game and its not what dual reg is supposed to be about.

Posted Image

#6 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Who actually cares. I'd be happy to see either of these 2 or briers playing against barrow at craven park.

It's not the fact of one or two players, there full time super league players as they say and it's basically Warringtons 2nd team

#7 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

It's not the fact of one or two players, there full time super league players as they say and it's basically Warringtons 2nd team

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Perhaps Swinton should have followed Barrow and Leighs business model and signed an unsustainable squad and encountered financial problems mid season.

But I guess paying wages you cant afford isnt new to Barrow . That way of operating is of course entirely morally acceptable. 

Id have to check my year books and old forums but Im PRETTY sure Barrow have enjoyed more DR signings than most in recent years....but when its your own club it doesnt matter....

#9 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Perhaps Swinton should have followed Barrow and Leighs business model and signed an unsustainable squad and encountered financial problems mid season.

But I guess paying wages you cant afford isnt new to Barrow . That way of operating is of course entirely morally acceptable. 

Id have to check my year books and old forums but Im PRETTY sure Barrow have enjoyed more DR signings than most in recent years....but when its your own club it doesnt matter....

yeah barrow have had a few but the main point most people are trying to make is that barrow still run their own club, we dont have warrington pulling the strings.

perhaps if we sold craven park and had to ground share then we too would have no debt, i personally prefer to have a ground rather than share one,

#10 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Thats not the argument though is it Gus? Thats just little digs at Swinton and to be honest not at Swinton because this is a forum,its just little digs at Swinton FANS. 

This is Rugby League. Its badly run. Its rules are a joke. Im not a massive fan of how things have panned out. These little "attacks" though are just petty though because EVERY single RL club is up to stuff to be successful.

The vast majority of our team in recent weeks have been with us a while so we are reducing our reliance on Warrington not increasing it.   

#11 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

We would all be singing a different tune if Barrow had an agreement with a SL club.

The main point is the old DR system still gave the championship club control and allowed players on DR to strengthen either weakened positions through injury or suspension. The choice of player was given to the lower club as you either requested a player or were offered a player with the option to say thanks but no thanks!

The DR system adopted by Barrow last season brought in academy players looking to gain experience allowing them to fight for a first team place the position of the majority of teams in the championship now have little or no say in the selection of the team. With the likes of first team players now being allowed on DR it has ruined the concept of "gaining experience" and often these players will call the shots in the game. Who's gaining from that? A championship squad who are never guaranteed a starting position (or a wage); or a SL club that can bring first team players back to match fitness without the cost of a reserve team?

In my opinion it is a step backwards for the lower leagues and as seen in the league it’s no great advantage to the championship clubs entering into the agreement. I would never dismiss out of hand the option to join the DR structure; however I would still rather have the old system where you knew who you were getting if we are to keep the DR.

For me I would rather see the DR structure aimed at the amateur leagues allowing amateurs a pathway into the professional game without losing their amateur status not the existing system that only exists to benefit the SL clubs.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Because there are no rules covering the DR system then no rules are being broken but does it make it morally right what Tony Smith and Warrington are doing?     And let's face it, it is Warrington that is doing this, as Swinton could if they so wished say "No" to taking the likes of Briers, Morley, Harrison, Wood, etc, but in my opinion this is all about Tony Smith showing the system up for what it is and his way of getting the Reserve team that he fought to get and failed.

Some clubs have played it straight down the middle the way it was intended and others have milked it for everything they can get out of it.    Which clubs are right and which are wrong is for everyone to decide but hopefully no club that his tried to do things right, morally or otherwise, suffers because of the way this is panning out.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Who cares, Jeez, if its not this your moaning about its attendances at London bleeding Broncos

#14 Flying whinger

Flying whinger
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Who cares, Jeez, if its not this your moaning about its attendances at London bleeding Broncos

^

Exactly.

Dont you think we've got enough to worry about at the moment? I personally couldn't care less if Swinton played the entire Warrington 1st team in their next fixture!

All i care about is where our next pound coin is coming from...

Edited by Flying whinger, 09 May 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#15 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

the forum has many topics this is just one of them! if you dont care about the subject being discussed dont read it.....and dont comment. Discuss the next pound and where it is going to come from on the other topic.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#16 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yes we have played Wood and Briers to name but two but they have started in a team which contains a vast majority of the Swinton players, The two Hawkyards, Watson, I'Anson, Mills, Penny, Ainscough and Smith roll off the tongue and yet here you lot are pontificating about one player....please do me a favour.....good luck in beating your money troubles, clubs like Swinton and Barrow are needed or would you prefer Tolouse etc.

#17 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Let swinton keep abusing the scheme, its only going to be the benefit of everyone else when the rules get clarified and altered at the end of the season due to this total abuse of the dual registration ideology. When the likes of Wood, Bridge, McCarthy, Briers, Morley and Harrison, all current or not to long past are International players, it shows how warrington are abusing it, and make no mistake it is Warrington, not Swinton. Tony Smith picks the swinton team and tells Gary chambers how to coach it

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Let swinton keep abusing the scheme, its only going to be the benefit of everyone else when the rules get clarified and altered at the end of the season due to this total abuse of the dual registration ideology. When the likes of Wood, Bridge, McCarthy, Briers, Morley and Harrison, all current or not to long past are International players, it shows how warrington are abusing it, and make no mistake it is Warrington, not Swinton. Tony Smith picks the swinton team and tells Gary chambers how to coach it

I had a flick back through me old yearbooks.
I dont remember as much consternation when you won the championship by cheating in 2009.
Our team mainly consisting of kids is nowt in comparison.
Give it a rest

#19 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

I had a flick back through me old yearbooks.
I dont remember as much consternation when you won the championship by cheating in 2009.
Our team mainly consisting of kids is nowt in comparison.
Give it a rest

depends which way you look at it as cheating, i personally dont think barrow did anything different to the other sides in championship, its just we had a showman call des johnson running the show who was loud and outspoken, people dont like that, hence why barrow were investigated and other teams have not been.

i always wonder how some of the top teams in the championship can get all the good players they have with the poor crowds they get meaning that their salary cap must be small but still some teams can cram a fair few decent players in their squad 

#20 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

depends which way you look at it as cheating, i personally dont think barrow did anything different to the other sides in championship, its just we had a showman call des johnson running the show who was loud and outspoken, people dont like that, hence why barrow were investigated and other teams have not been.

i always wonder how some of the top teams in the championship can get all the good players they have with the poor crowds they get meaning that their salary cap must be small but still some teams can cram a fair few decent players in their squad

So it IS different when its your own team isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users