Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New League Structures

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

If the proposed new 2 leagues of 12 does come off, who do you think will be the teams in each league. Surely the team currently in the championship, most likely Featherstone but could also be Halifax or Sheffield, should be allowed a place in the top league. This was what they have been working towards for the last 3 years and now the RFL have changed the league structure.

If that does happen then three teams will be placed in league 2, how will this be decided and who do you think it will be?

Who will be the 12 teams in league 2?

How will the leagues be structured underneath the 2 Super Leagues and will there be relegation from Super League 2?

Does anyone have any idea on the salary cap for the league?

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

If the proposed new 2 leagues of 12 does come off, who do you think will be the teams in each league. Surely the team currently in the championship, most likely Featherstone but could also be Halifax or Sheffield, should be allowed a place in the top league. This was what they have been working towards for the last 3 years and now the RFL have changed the league structure.

If that does happen then three teams will be placed in league 2, how will this be decided and who do you think it will be?

How will the leagues be structured underneath the 2 Super Leagues and will there be relegation from Super League 2?

I'm told that the championship chairmen are meeting today to discuss.

At Fev, we have a fans forum with the chairman tonight, so hopefully we'll get to find out a bit more detail then.

I can't go myself, but I'm sure someone will post any snippets we get.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

What about those teams in the lower half of superleague that have been working to stregnthen their position in superleague for the past 3 (+) years?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#4 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

What about those teams in the lower half of superleague that have been working to stregnthen their position in superleague for the past 3 (+) years?

good point, thats why its a strange proposal.

#5 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

If they are in the second tier, they will have the chance of being promoted the following year. The will be one of the favourites to go up.

All for the good of the game.

#6 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I dont see how the new structure is in any way beneficial to the game in any way. Teams should be building to Challenge top 4/6 clubs not bringing them down to the bottom 8/10 as it will do.

Super League was set up to be an Elite Competition and that should be the way it goes.

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

If it does come off I think they will be no relegation from SL2 more like a franchise to enter like it is for SL now. Hope I'm wrong but if they want 2 competitive leagues with P&R without the boom and bust scenario then I see this as been one of the rules.But if I'm being honest I don't see it coming off because I can't see where they would get 12 teams from to form SL2. At max you could take 5 from the champ and then 2 from SL and say Toulouse but that's only 8 where is the other 4 going to come from?.Also most of the champ clubs are partnered with a SL club so how can they realistically be taken seriously to enter SL2 as they have entered these arrangements to save money as they have none.

Edited by thundergaz, 09 May 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I dont see how the new structure is in any way beneficial to the game in any way. Teams should be building to Challenge top 4/6 clubs not bringing them down to the bottom 8/10 as it will do.

Super League was set up to be an Elite Competition and that should be the way it goes.

Spot on. This is essentially a dumbing down of the original Super League concept.

#9 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

As much as I agree their is teams in SL now who will never challenge the top 4 clubs so the 2 tier structure could be a good thing maybe teams going up might one day challenge the top 4 clubs. Just giving another side to it that's all.It also might give the clubs who are in SL just making up the numbers a kick up the backside that they need.

Edited by thundergaz, 09 May 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#10 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I think what needs to be understood is what the primary aim is here of the restructure, and then what the other potential issues are in following each scenario. Is it to provide elite intensity or offer a path to the top.

Personally I think 2 leagues of 10 is poss the way to go with each team playing the others 3 times. This would give the elite league the intensity required, or at least provide more than at he minute. A top 4 or 5 play off would then follow. Obviously the same structure below would apply. Also having 1 up and 1 down makes it not a closed show. The funding needs to be concentrated amongst the elite to ensure it remains an elite competition. I would suggest keeping the cap as it is and allowing a marque player outside of this. Assuming the sky money stays the same, the top 10 could get a slight increase on their current share and the remainder split between the league below. I would allow the salary cap of both league to be he same to allow sugar daddies to make up the significant shortfall for clubs in the lower league should they wish to spend up to the cap. Obviously guarantees would be needed from them to protect the clubs financial futures of boom bust scenarios.

I will talk up RL to anyone who will listen to me, but the mid season split from 2 leagues of 12 to 3 leagues of 8 makes things difficult for casual fans to understand and I think he negatives would outweigh he positives of it. The issues of seasons tickets for clubs that are likely to drop into the middle 8 been a primary one to discuss. Take Cas for example, you couldn't charge the same to watch them play Leigh, Sheffield, Halifax etc as you could for them to play Leeds, Saints and Wigan etc. and I would imagine no club would want to have the hassle of selling at least 2 different types season ticket in a season given the additional admin costs also involved. Also with some teams part time ad others full time, that would provide a lot of one sided results and teams could not make he transition between part time and full time mid season successfully.

If we just started with 3 leagues of 8 with each team playing the others twice home and twice away, and 1 up 1 down, would fans get sick of watching the same teams? Personally I would say no here as its the games that involve the top sides that I prefer watching, especially as a neutral. But I think others would not want to see the same 2 teams play each other up to 7 times a season.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Surely this is all about giving ambitious second tier teams "promotion" to a second tier ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

So does anyone think a current championship club will be in the top league and if not is this fair?

What teams do you think will be in the second tier? 

Will there be any expansion teams?

#13 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

So does anyone think a current championship club will be in the top league and if not is this fair?

What teams do you think will be in the second tier?

Will there be any expansion teams?

I would imagine not. It will be the top 12 SL clubs, then the top 10 Championship clubs moving up to join the bottom two SL clubs. It's fair if the structure is in place for clubs to have the chance of promotion. The structure stated allows for that, so I think it's fair. The League below would then allow the smaller clubs to compete with each other on an equal footing. Would even alow for promotion for clubs wanting it from tier 3 as well.

The more I think a out this idea, the more I like it. Well done the RFL.

#14 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

if the powers that be let this one through, in two years time committees will be meeting once again to amend the league structure because the 750 odd fans of existing Champ 1 clubs are protesting their inability to be promoted to SL2.

I keep hearing support for this current concept from mainly existing top 4 Championship clubs, but none seem to have given a moment of concern for Champ 1 clubs.

This is all really getting a bit silly now. I say bring the Aussies over and have them run our club competition to a standard worthy of the title Super.

The RFL have no balls to stand up to a minority of clubs that obviously want what is best for them (rightly so) but to the detriment of the top level of our sport.

#15 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Initially I'd go with:-

1. Wigan
  2. St Helens
  3. Leeds
  4. Hull
  5. Warrington
  6. Huddersfield
  7. Wakefield
  8. Bradford
  9. Catalans
  10. Salford
  11. Hull KR (so long as they have a financial backer) 
  12. Widnes

Division 2 would therefore be:-

1. London
  2. Castleford
  3. Featherstone
  4. Sheffield
  5. Halifax
  6. Toulouse (if they are serious)
  7. Leigh
  8. York
  9. Batley
  10. Whitehaven / Workington
  11. NW Crusaders
  12. Swinton

With Division 3 leaving:-

1. Dewsbury
  2. Whitehaven / Workington
  3. Barrow
  4. Hunslet
  5. Keighley
  6. Doncaster
  7. South Wales
  8. Hemel
  9. Oxford
  10. Gloucestershire AG
  11. Gateshead
  12. Oldham
  13. Rochdale
  14. London Skolars

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,078 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

if the powers that be let this one through, in two years time committees will be meeting once again to amend the league structure because the 750 odd fans of existing Champ 1 clubs are protesting their inability to be promoted to SL2.

I keep hearing support for this current concept from mainly existing top 4 Championship clubs, but none seem to have given a moment of concern for Champ 1 clubs.

This is all really getting a bit silly now. I say bring the Aussies over and have them run our club competition to a standard worthy of the title Super.

The RFL have no balls to stand up to a minority of clubs that obviously want what is best for them (rightly so) but to the detriment of the top level of our sport.

The RFL can't really have the balls. The clubs get to vote on these things. If the RFL went against the wishes of the clubs, the clubs would just set up a new organisation.

#17 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

1. Toulouse (if they are serious)

The Toulouse one is interesting and apologies if this has been raised on one of the other threads. I keep reading that their entry would be on the back of a new French TV deal with BeIN Sports TV. Two questions on this - is this a serious proposition or just paper talk, and would a possible TV deal in France be possible if Toulouse were in the 2nd tier, as they were a couple of years ago, and Catalan in the top tier? I would've thought that a big money TV deal in France would be more likely if the the French teams were guaranteed a spot in the top tier, something that apparently isn't on the cards.

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

The RFL can't really have the balls. The clubs get to vote on these things. If the RFL went against the wishes of the clubs, the clubs would just set up a new organisation.

Am I right in thinking that Super League (Europe) consists of 15 members, each with equal voting rights (14 clubs plus RFL)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#19 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

I know the clubs do wield much power in the competition, however the clubs know they don't have the administration to run their own competition, they need the RFL as much as the RFL need them. This is not the Premier League where there is a mountain of money coming from all angles.

The time is right now for both parties to come together to form an organisation (commission if you will) that make the critical decisions on running the professional game and dividing the income revenue from professional RL between the clubs, competitions and the RFL. The RFL's sole job should be running the national side and developing grassroots RL 

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

If they are in the second tier, they will have the chance of being promoted the following year. The will be one of the favourites to go up.

All for the good of the game.

This will just undue the strides that some of these clubs have made in recent years to improve themselves, the top few will be even further from reach as the standard at the bottom end of the table decreases.  eventually this will lead to an eight or ten team league.  So in a generation we'll have gone from a 14/16 team top division of British clubs to a 8/10 team league with just 6/8 British clubs, and shock horror the French national side will still be awful.

Progress?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,