New League Structures

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

What makes you think Leigh have no chance of getting promotion to SL?

It seems to me that there are two possible ways for Leigh to get into Superleague.  The first is to decide that's where they are heading and work consistently and damned hard to build a club that can meet the entry criteria and use the three years to continue building until they stabilise.

The second is to campaign to have open promotion restored into SL, get lucky enough to go up and then hope to God that they can scrape enough wins together to stay up, and build the club's finances on an overly optimistic forecast of a boom in attendances that in reality will never be big enough.

I believe Leigh have already tried the second route.  It didn't go well.

The first route isn't going too great either.

Posted Image

#42 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

So how will the salary caps work?

Will League 1s be brought down from its current value and League 2 be brought up significantly, this will be the only way that the middle league will have a good chance of been competitive.

If League 1s salary cap is brought down, then in theory, there would be a much better spread of players throughout the clubs, making the game more even, which is meant to happen at the moment but clearly doesn't.

I saw in the paper that Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson are supposedly heading to saints and wigan, for the good of the game shouldn't homegrown London players be left to develop and play in London? With a new lower salary cap, the clubs lower down the league table would be able to hang on to their players more often and have a better team. 

Once the Super League becomes more competitive, then that would be the time to raise the cap, not now.

#43 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

So Featherstone Rovers are happy about joining the second half of Superleague, the one that will be cut adrift from the top tier.  So much for ambition, I want them to join Superleague, not a wishy washy watered down version where clubs won't be able to sell season ticket safe in the knowledge of what their fixtures are.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#44 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

So Featherstone Rovers are happy about joining the second half of Superleague, the one that will be cut adrift from the top tier.  So much for ambition, I want them to join Superleague, not a wishy washy watered down version where clubs won't be able to sell season ticket safe in the knowledge of what their fixtures are.

The reason we're happy is that there is a fair chance of us making the top four of the middle eight in 2015 and being promoted to the top 12 for the start of the 2016 season. Assuming that we are allowed to spend significantly more than we are allowed now.

The season ticket issue is something that requires more thought, but it is not insurmountable.

My only fear with this system is that it will just become a bigger closed shop. There must be an annual route in at the bottom of SL2. How else will ambitious and/or expansion clubs make the big time, without dumping them in at the deep end like all the previous, failed attempts?

Clarification is also needed about the status of the French club(s). What happens if it/they are in the relegation spot(s)?

Edited by Ponterover, 10 May 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#45 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

The reason we're happy is that there is a fair chance of us making the top four of the middle eight in 2015 and being promoted to the top 12 for the start of the 2016 season. Assuming that we are allowed to spend significantly more than we are allowed now.

The season ticket issue is something that requires more thought, but it is not insurmountable.

My view is that Featherstone are having their head patted condescendingly with this proposal.  Stick to your guns Rovers, you were given a promise that one club would be properly promoted, and this isn't it. 

#46 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

My view is that Featherstone are having their head patted condescendingly with this proposal.  Stick to your guns Rovers, you were given a promise that one club would be properly promoted, and this isn't it. 

Don't think the season ticket issue will be a problem. You are buying a season ticket to get in, to support your club. I don't think ,any supporters buy a season ticket to watch the opposition.

You might not know how your team are going to do, so they may play in the top 8, middle 8 or bottom 8, but that's sport.

Can't wait for this to come in.

#47 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Don't think the season ticket issue will be a problem. You are buying a season ticket to get in, to support your club. I don't think ,any supporters buy a season ticket to watch the opposition.
You might not know how your team are going to do, so they may play in the top 8, middle 8 or bottom 8, but that's sport.
Can't wait for this to come in.

Of course it will be a problem. It's a cost thing, you can't charge the same price to watch lower league games as it is an inferior product.

#48 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

The thing is, that Rovers as a club and the vast majority don't see licensing as a fair or sporting way to decide things.

We believe in P&R, others get off on shady backroom decisions. Each to their own.

I don't care if we are relegated sometimes. Without the lows, you can't appreciate the highs.

#49 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Of course it will be a problem. It's a cost thing, you can't charge the same price to watch lower league games as it is an inferior product.

That's incredibly patronising.

I buy a season ticket knowing full well that some weeks it will be a "big" club, other weeks will be a "small" club.

By your reckoning, even in the current set up, Wigan would be worth more than Cas or HKR (for example). It doesn't stop season ticket sales now.

Regardless of the opposition, I'll be there so a season ticket makes sense.

#50 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

That's incredibly patronising.

I buy a season ticket knowing full well that some weeks it will be a "big" club, other weeks will be a "small" club.

By your reckoning, even in the current set up, Wigan would be worth more than Cas or HKR (for example). It doesn't stop season ticket sales now.

Regardless of the opposition, I'll be there so a season ticket makes sense.

It's also incredibly true.  Where have the extra 1000 fans come from at Rovers in the last year or so?  Like it or not die hards like you are NOT the majority even at Featherstone.  People also plan their summer holidays around fixtures, and whilst that's annoying and complex enough for the fans, how about the commercial side of things for clubs.  Should say Bradford plan for a 15000 crowd with Leeds in July, or a 5000 crowd with Halifax or Featherstone?  All it will lead to is the top clubs taking more and more cream and even if Featherstone prosper in the odd year or two they'll be even further away from the true elite within a couple of years.

It's a crackers proposal, that will slightly elevate those at the top of the championship right now for a year or so, but damage them in the long term whilst casting adrift those in the lower half of superleague right now.

#51 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

The promise was a CC club would be promoted if Superleague remained at 14 clubs and the CC club met minimum standards.

If it's 2 x 12 the promise is invalidated.

The bullet will be a dud....

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

There are those who think that championship rugby is superior to SL . They for some reason squeal the loudest and debilitatingly longest about what scandal it is that their team isn't in it.
And yet again what seems matter most is not what is best for the game, but what suits their club and their own agenda
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#53 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

There are those who think that championship rugby is superior to SL .

Using attendances they are outvoted 6:1.

#54 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I saw in the paper that Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson are supposedly heading to saints and wigan, for the good of the game shouldn't homegrown London players be left to develop and play in London?

Alternatively, for the good of the game shouldn't homegrown London players be spread around the country, allowing more Londoners to come through?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Using attendances they are outvoted 6:1.

But they're not real fans though are they?
Keeping it local

#56 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

There are those who think that championship rugby is superior to SL .

It isn't.  It's not superior to SL.   But it's not inferior either.  It's different.

It's blokes playing RL.   To me, that's a good thing if it's tick and pass in the park or GB vs Australia in an Ashes decider.

That's me.  I'm done.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

It isn't. It's not superior to SL. But it's not inferior either. It's different.

It's blokes playing RL. To me, that's a good thing if it's tick and pass in the park or GB vs Australia in an Ashes decider.

Exactly
Keeping it local

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

So how will the salary caps work?

Will League 1s be brought down from its current value and League 2 be brought up significantly, this will be the only way that the middle league will have a good chance of been competitive.

If League 1s salary cap is brought down, then in theory, there would be a much better spread of players throughout the clubs, making the game more even, which is meant to happen at the moment but clearly doesn't.

I saw in the paper that Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson are supposedly heading to saints and wigan, for the good of the game shouldn't homegrown London players be left to develop and play in London? With a new lower salary cap, the clubs lower down the league table would be able to hang on to their players more often and have a better team.

Once the Super League becomes more competitive, then that would be the time to raise the cap, not now.

No, what would happen is more players would leave SL. The cap shouldn't be getting lower.
Posted Image

#59 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't see why season passes are an issue as well. You sell them at the start of the season, it covers the season. Simple.
Posted Image

#60 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

They will be in the same league of 8 come the split after 11 games, so they won't be a "lower league" side, they will be in the same division as the club they are playing.

Edited by a.n Other, 10 May 2013 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users