TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

New League Structures

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

but surely the club's that have been clamouring for inclusion in the SL will step up from their current pay levels, Batley will still be resolutely semi pro. So you'd have 4 fully pro teams drop from SL, you'd have the 2 clubs that had already dropped out of SL,you'd have, perhaps, Toulouse - also fully pro. You might have a fully pro Featherstone and the likes of Halifax&Sheffield easily outpaying whatever Batley could offer. Batley's chances of even getting in the top 4 of SL2 are going to be a much tougher ask than they are in the Championship and even if they made it do you think they could week in week out rack up wins in the promotion/relegation group? No chance. But...if they did, like I say - it'd be a 11 game sojourn in SL1 and back to business as usual. Yo yo club, no way.

What makes you think Sheffield can outbid anyone for players. Do you have some inside information of their finances which is not well known. i have the utmost admiration for the Eagles and what they have achieved and the fact that they make a profit but i think it has been done in spite of the fact that they have very little in the way of financial resources.

Batley regulalrly defeat the best that the championship has to offer and have proved competitive against SL opposition. i think you do them and their club a diservice. I think they could well compete in that league.

As for yo yo. I thought that going up and coming straight back down was the very definition of a yo yo club. I thought you and i agreed that this is what would happen to Batley should they get promoted so I am surprised you challenge that minor point.

#82 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

ok, take Sheffield out of the equation if that makes you happy. And Halifax.  So we have 2 clubs drop out of SL, then we have 4 drop down from SL1. That's 6 clubs that can blast Batley out of the water right there. Add Toulouse(maybe). Add Featherstone. That's 7 or 8 clubs. Do you really think a club that is determined to cut it's cloth accordingly is going to outdo them? Not over a couple of games but over a course of 14 games against full time opposition. How many games do Batley beat full time pro's over, how many out of 14.Eh? EH? EHHHHH????

edit - and the definition of a yo yo club is not one that has one lucky promotion and goes back and doesnt return. It'd be one that would go between SL1 and SL2 on a regular basis - do you really think Batley will ping in and out of the best 12 clubs in the country? 

Edited by Rascal Bongo Stork, 10 May 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#83 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Quite like the idea of the two leagues splitting into three, provided the obvious logistics of the latter half of the season can be ironed out. Gives all 24 clubs something to play for, ensures competitive games for the entire season and allows every club to find their level. For example if Featherstone happened to start in SL2 but finished in the top four in the first part of the season, then the same again in the second part, they would be in the top division to start the following year. People have been asking for promotion and relegation then are moaning when options are offered. Such a system is just about the easiest to reward ambitious clubs, by not making raising to the top division unattainable or particularly difficult. I don't say it often, but well done RFL on an innovative option that is the shake up that the game needs.

#84 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

ok, take Sheffield out of the equation if that makes you happy. And Halifax.  So we have 2 clubs drop out of SL, then we have 4 drop down from SL1. That's 6 clubs that can blast Batley out of the water right there. Add Toulouse(maybe). Add Featherstone. That's 7 or 8 clubs. Do you really think a club that is determined to cut it's cloth accordingly is going to outdo them? Not over a couple of games but over a course of 14 games against full time opposition. How many games do Batley beat full time pro's over, how many out of 14.Eh? EH? EHHHHH????

edit - and the definition of a yo yo club is not one that has one lucky promotion and goes back and doesnt return. It'd be one that would go between SL1 and SL2 on a regular basis - do you really think Batley will ping in and out of the best 12 clubs in the country? 

Well Batley have and do beat Featherstone and as for your probably SL suspects, Castleford, London and probably Toulouse who will be a start up operation. I think Batley could give a good account of them selves against that group. They surprised everyone by winning the Northern Rail Cup and they are improved since then. They don't have to finish 1st do they, just creep in at 4th will do the job.

It just so happens that the independent clubs are ruling the roost in the Championships but just suppose Halifax or Fev were in a DR arrangement, would you rule out the possibility of then getting promoted and having to play against their SL partner using the said partner's players. That is the point i was getting at and Batley are currently the best example of a DR club but this could change.

It will certainly be interesting and action on the field will prove which of us is right.

However, if this thing is set up to promote failure as you opine, what is the point of it ?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users