Hunslet's 'war' song

gabby

Going back to a point a few days ago about Hunslet's song and it's origins, here is part of a news cutting from 14th April 1892, two weeks before the final v Leeds. It's the 4th round at Brighouse.

Albert Goldthorpe got possession, and although surrounded by opponents, dropped a really magnificent goal. What a yell was there, my countrymen, the OLD Hunslet war cry, and the singing of the OLD tune, which has so often greeted similar performances of our Albert.

It does therefore seem that it started sometime before the 1892 final, and will probably never be known when exactly.

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool

than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

I always believed that it was an old music hall song that Hunslet adopted.

From your report Gabby which refers to the OLD Hunslet song about the time of the 1892 final as Hunslet were formed in 1883 it wouldn't have been very old at that time. I don't know if we will ever find out the origin or when it was first sung-- although there may be someone out there who knows more than we do.

Archived