Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet's 'war' song

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Going back to a point a few days ago about Hunslet's song and it's origins, here is part of a news cutting from 14th April 1892, two weeks before the final v Leeds. It's the 4th round at Brighouse.

Albert Goldthorpe got possession, and although surrounded by opponents, dropped a really magnificent goal. What a yell was there, my countrymen, the OLD Hunslet war cry, and the singing of the OLD tune, which has so often greeted similar performances of our Albert.

It does therefore seem that it started sometime before the 1892 final, and will probably never be known when exactly.

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#2 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I always believed that it was an old music hall song that Hunslet adopted.

From your report Gabby which refers to the OLD Hunslet song about the time of the 1892 final as Hunslet were formed in 1883 it wouldn't have been very old at that time. I don't know if we will ever find out the origin or when it was first sung-- although there may be someone out there who knows more than we do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users