Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

http://www.mirror.co...-marwan-1876981

Owner Marwan Koukash has revealed shock plans to ignore salary cap rules to turn Salford into a Super League power.

But the impatient City Reds’ chief claims his regulation-bending proposals are already employed by big-spending rivals.

Koukash’s outburst has put him on a collision course with RL bosses, working on a radical overhaul of the sport after the licensing period ends at the end of 2014.

Wigan were docked four points and the last team punished for salary cap overspend violations in 2007.

Salford have never spent up to the £1.8 million limit, and Koukash claimed: “Even spending the full cap will not give me a sporting chance of a trophy.

“So I will spend over it and re-create what three or four other clubs have been doing.”

A bit of a snipe at the end, should the RFL charge him with bringing the game into disrepute, ask him to name names or do nothing?

The Sun carries a similar article http://www.thesun.co...st-Salford.html

MARWAN KOUKASH has vowed to break Super League’s salary cap next season to make Salford competitive.That means any new players’ wives could be in for a pay day.

The City Reds owner’s plea for a dispensation to spend up to £400,000 above the £1.8million a year to make his side competitive was turned down by the RFL.

So he has amazingly admitted he is prepared to disregard the rules, claiming other clubs are already in breach.

Dr Koukash said: “I will spend over the cap as I’ll just recreate what other clubs have been doing.

"Hopefully I’ll be able to find jobs for the wives.

“People are doing it already, three or four clubs do it already so I’ll look at their inventive ways.

“Say I sign a player for £150,000 I’ll pay him £100,000 and his wife £50,000. Is that what the sport wants? Because if it is, that’s what we’ll do.

“It doesn’t interest me, just taking part. I need to win.

“I’ve come in thinking, ’If I spend the full cap I’ll have a sporting chance of landing a trophy or two’.

"But really when you sit down and think, ’What sort of team can you build with the £1.8m cap?’ and it’s not much.”

Koukash admits he hopes to have two major signings sealed for the City Reds in the next two weeks.

Hull KR’s Michael Dobson and Cory Paterson are firmly in their sights.

But his woes over the salary cap rumble on and he believes it is putting off potential investors as rugby league continues to restrict itself.

He added: “With the way it’s being operated now, it’s keeping a lid on its growth, we’re not allowing it to grow.

"The sport itself is massively under-marketed and undersold.

“There are a lot of Marwans out there who are willing to invest but let’s send the right message to them.

“If you’re willing to invest in the sport, you have a chance of winning trophies and competing.

“What’s the fun for me if I spend the full cap, which I’m close to this year already, and you still go to places like Wigan and get hammered like we did?

“There are other people, from the Middle East and so on, who are looking at investing.

"But for some reason the people who are involved want to keep it the way it is. They seem to be in a comfort zone.

“Fresh investors will no doubt raise the level of interest in the sport then all of a sudden you’ll have a scenario where clubs could bring in the best players in the world.

“People who say don’t increase the cap because it might ruin the sport have negative, defeatist attitudes.

“It’s totally the opposite. The way things are, over the next 18 months, we’ll probably lose two or three clubs. How good is that?”

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I bloody love this guy! :D

Posted Image

#3 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

So who are these middle eastern investors waiting in the wings?

We wouldn't mind having them at London.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

This pretty much sums up everything Koukash has done so far, shouted loud and wants everything his own way, but not done much except bring in Noble of course. Yet he's right. He's just being a dick about it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Say I sign a player for £150,000 I’ll pay him £100,000 and his wife £50,000.

Wherever salary or other benefits are expressed as being paid, payable or Accruing:

5.2.1 “to a Player”, such expression will be deemed to include payments that are paid, payable or Accrue:

1. to the Player himself;
  2. for the benefit of the Player;
  3. to, or for the benefit of, the spouse, partner, relative or trustee of the Player;

Maybe he could keep a secret filing cabinet like at Melbourne

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

This pretty much sums up everything Koukash has done so far, shouted loud and wants everything his own way, but not done much except bring in Noble of course. Yet he's right. He's just being a dick about it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Oh, phew. At least I won't get shouted down all alone!

Nevermind Kashcow, right now he's more Cartman Koukash.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

totally agree with hindle and brooza flagrant disregard for the rules of the game will bring anarchy and koukash is being an absolute prat spouting that he will break the salary cap, perhaps he should break the cap and sign a few thousand more supporters for the club..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

He might aswell tell the redtops Sean Long left his dad's phone number too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wherever salary or other benefits are expressed as being paid, payable or Accruing:

5.2.1 “to a Player”, such expression will be deemed to include payments that are paid, payable or Accrue:

1. to the Player himself;
  2. for the benefit of the Player;
  3. to, or for the benefit of, the spouse, partner, relative or trustee of the Player;

I'm no lawyer, but how can the RFL have the right to restrict the earning or job prospects of Mrs A, and prevent her from working at a club because they happen to employ Mr A as a player?

Perhaps Mr Koukash should get some top players to play for Salford on a voluntary basis like Radlinski is said to have done for Wigan in the year that they broke the spirit of the cap.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

and this type of announcement is the reason we should never return to P&R people like koukash would willingly break the rules to keep their club in the top flight.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I imagine his unintentional whistleblowing will go down well with the other Chairman too. Everyone knows the teams at the top find ways and means to spend more than they should, they're just a lot smarterer about it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I like the guy (based purely on what I read)
He likes RL but isn't content to be an also ran and doesn't see RL as something to keep quiet about. A few more Drs in RL please.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#14 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

I bet ALL top clubs are at it, no matter how they harp on about strict wage structures.

#15 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

I understand employing wives at the club is a murky area, but what can the cap auditors do if he were to employ wives in his other business interests? Surely if Mrs A is set up as an independent consulant and his business in the Middle East employs their services or he perhaps one of his businesses invests £50k in their aerobic instructor business, how is that policed?

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm no lawyer, but how can the RFL have the right to restrict the earning or job prospects of Mrs A, and prevent her from working at a club because they happen to employ Mr A as a player?

Perhaps Mr Koukash should get some top players to play for Salford on a voluntary basis like Radlinski is said to have done for Wigan in the year that they broke the spirit of the cap.

Short answer is they can't stop them.

What is important, is that it is the clubs who make these regulations - not some faceless beaurocracy and if the majority of clubs decide they don't want to play with others who break the rules, then Mr koukash can pay what he wants to who he wants, but his team will probably be suspended from the league, by the other clubs. I'd guess that there are articles of association registered somewhere setting out their powers.

What is doubly stupid about his statement is that if he'd kept his trap shup and just done it, he may well have got away with it - but at the end of the day, breaking the rules and bragging about it is always going to be a jump too far.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 Gregory Peccary

Gregory Peccary
  • Coach
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

This guy really is a breath of fresh air. Go for it, Marwan.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Odds on him lasting the year in rugby league?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I understand employing wives at the club is a murky area, but what can the cap auditors do if he were to employ wives in his other business interests? Surely if Mrs A is set up as an independent consulant and his business in the Middle East employs their services or he perhaps one of his businesses invests £50k in their aerobic instructor business, how is that policed?

Also been thought of

5.2.2 “by a Club”, such expression shall be deemed to include payments and other benefits that are paid, payable or Accrue:

1. by the Club itself;
  2. on behalf of the Club;
  3. by, or on behalf of, any person, business or entity associated or affiliated with the Club (including, without limitation, other sporting clubs, whether linked by common management, ownership, control, directorships, company officers, shareholding, undertaking or otherwise);
  4. by, or on behalf of, a sponsor or other commercial partner of the Club; and/or
  5. such other cases as the RSCM determines should be treated as payments by the Club.

#20 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

and this type of announcement is the reason we should never return to P&R people like koukash would willingly break the rules to keep their club in the top flight.

Rich ! From a Wigan follower the very club that breached the salary cap when Noble was coach and they avoided relegation after signing Fielden at a then world record and where the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude still exists.http://www.wigantoda...y-cap-1-5625250

Not a very nice attitude after the RFL did all it could to assist your club just a short time ago.

Dr Koukash has made his feelings known as an outsider after entering the sport.The chairman at St Helens who made his wealth through banking also wishes the salary cap was raised.As the RFL seem reluctant to express their deliberations to a wider public it would seem Dr Koukash has a low patience threshold.

As Dr Koukash has made a lot of money in more than one area,he is probably far more qualified and knowledgeable than any number of detractors and is wanting to raise the profile of the sport and encourage more investment.

About time someone with some business savvy got involved.I cannot see a queue of players forming,to complain,any time soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users