Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Odds on him lasting the year in rugby league?

The last thing we want or need in RL is people who want to rock the boat or see it as worthy of aspiration.

#22 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Great stuff Marwan.  Visionary unlike many on here and sadly at RFL.    The key quote `the game is undersold`

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm stunned that anybody thinks these are good quotes. 

He is basically saying he will cheat and commit fraud within the competition. TBH, that is the kind of thing that should see a person banned from being deemed not a fit and proper person to run a club.

It's actually outrageous.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Dave, it sometimes takes something like this to stir up the cosy boys gang that seem to have settled into Red Hall. Nothing wrong with a bit of controversy sometimes, I'm sure he is no mug and not so green as to tell about something wrong he might do.

Besides, he's only saying what actually happens.

Edited by Johnoco, 09 May 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#25 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

He is basically saying he will cheat and commit fraud within the competition. TBH, that is the kind of thing that should see a person banned from being deemed not a fit and proper person to run a club.

Looked what happened to Des Johnson.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Rich ! From a Wigan follower the very club that breached the salary cap when Noble was coach and they avoided relegation after signing Fielden at a then world record and where the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude still exists.http://www.wigantoda...y-cap-1-5625250

Not a very nice attitude after the RFL did all it could to assist your club just a short time ago.

Dr Koukash has made his feelings known as an outsider after entering the sport.The chairman at St Helens who made his wealth through banking also wishes the salary cap was raised.As the RFL seem reluctant to express their deliberations to a wider public it would seem Dr Koukash has a low patience threshold.

As Dr Koukash has made a lot of money in more than one area,he is probably far more qualified and knowledgeable than any number of detractors and is wanting to raise the profile of the sport and encourage more investment.

About time someone with some business savvy got involved.I cannot see a queue of players forming,to complain,any time soon.

First swing and a miss came with VW, he's very, very much a Widnes fan. Very.

Me. What the RFL did for Bradford is of much deliberation, but it was an off the field decision, and that has been churned over many times. Fans still dislike us for it. Clubs also helped us out when we needed it and got special treatment. Doesn't mean to say I agree with him openly saying he'll cheat. Nor did I when we broke the cap. Anyway, Koukash has made his bed, and probably won't make many friends now he's ratted out the big clubs. As we all know in business, it's not what you know, it's who. He has made a lot of money, although probably isn't the richest in SL, and he doesn't half like to shout about it too, perhaps if he invested it in boosting crowds and infrastructure then he might get somewhere. All the sugar-daddies - even though from day one he said he wasn't one, that changed quickly - are business savvy, and they've worked out how to get away with things.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

The last thing we want or need in RL is people who want to rock the boat or see it as worthy of aspiration.

Get back to me when he does something for the good of the game rather than the good of his ego.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Get back to me when he does something for the good of the game rather than the good of his ego.

What exactly does he owe RL? He's putting his money where his mouth is, he's entitled to mouth off.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Come on John that's not a fair comment. 

What next? Him deciding that it's his right to have faster and bigger players so he will pump them with steroids and ignore those rules too?

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

What next? Him deciding that it's his right to have faster and bigger players so he will pump them with steroids and ignore those rules too?

He's already tried playing with 14 men.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Dave, it sometimes takes something like this to stir up the cosy boys gang that seem to have settled into Red Hall. Nothing wrong with a bit of controversy sometimes, I'm sure he is no mug and not so green as to tell about something wrong he might do.

Besides, he's only saying what actually happens.

Is he? 

My understanding is there has been quite a radical discussion on the table for the last few weeks around the future of the game - just because he is not happy with the outcome (that the clubs voted on) then that's his issue.

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

He's already tried playing with 14 men.

:lol:

#33 brooza

brooza
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

“I’ve come in thinking, ’If I spend the full cap I’ll have a sporting chance of landing a trophy or two’.

"But really when you sit down and think, ’What sort of team can you build with the £1.8m cap?’ and it’s not much.”

“What’s the fun for me if I spend the full cap, which I’m close to this year already, and you still go to places like Wigan and get hammered like we did?

You can spend 3 times the cap and still get hammered, it all depends on who you spend the money on

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Maybe he just looks around and wonders how some clubs get away with doing a b & c when others don't? Maybe he just wants the best for Salford and isn't prepared to sit back and die wondering?

Whatever, IMO it makes a change to see a chairman of a lower club kicking off and wanting the best for them. I'm sure he'll calm down in time.

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Maybe he's confused by the fact that some clubs have higher salary caps than others (due to having brought through international players and/or london weighting)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#36 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Good on him, the cap definitely needs a good bump upwards. 

I reckon 50% of the current SL clubs could afford to spend full cap if it went up to £2.5 or £3m. They might not want to but then that is their decision.

People moan about RL falling behind RU in this country, well one way to reverse that trend is to get some high profile code crossers. But given the average Aviva Premiership back earns north of £80k per annum, with the better players on at least double that it's not going to happen anytime soon with the cap restrictions.

Ben Foden, England RU international would be fantastic in RL. So would George North, Wales RU international. And a fair few others. If the money was available they would come. 

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Absolutely spot on
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Most on here are missing the big picture.

Are those - so vehemently against MK`s comments - satisfied with the way the game is going? - satisfied that the very top players are actually coming into RL? etc etc

Moyes is on £80k a week whilst at Everton.   So lets say Salford amass 30 players @ £ 60k pa  the current salary cap is hit.   Is that the quality we need in this game?

We must start to appeal to people who want to see excitement and quality and until the Cap is abolished the game will not made inroads.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Good on him, the cap definitely needs a good bump upwards. 

I reckon 50% of the current SL clubs could afford to spend full cap if it went up to £2.5 or £3m. They might not want to but then that is their decision.

People moan about RL falling behind RU in this country, well one way to reverse that trend is to get some high profile code crossers. But given the average Aviva Premiership back earns north of £80k per annum, with the better players on at least double that it's not going to happen anytime soon with the cap restrictions.

Ben Foden, England RU international would be fantastic in RL. So would George North, Wales RU international. And a fair few others. If the money was available they would come. 

Mentioned on another thread, margquee players, union players salary don't count onf the cap for two years, I think, I posted it but my memory is a bit bleary!

Seperately, this is a bit of a slap in the face of the RFL - which they may need - but it was Wood who introduced him to the game and told him explicitely about Salford's troubles. They then allowed him to complete the take-over.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

First swing and a miss came with VW, he's very, very much a Widnes fan. Very.

Me. What the RFL did for Bradford is of much deliberation, but it was an off the field decision, and that has been churned over many times. Fans still dislike us for it. Clubs also helped us out when we needed it and got special treatment. Doesn't mean to say I agree with him openly saying he'll cheat. Nor did I when we broke the cap. Anyway, Koukash has made his bed, and probably won't make many friends now he's ratted out the big clubs. As we all know in business, it's not what you know, it's who. He has made a lot of money, although probably isn't the richest in SL, and he doesn't half like to shout about it too, perhaps if he invested it in boosting crowds and infrastructure then he might get somewhere. All the sugar-daddies - even though from day one he said he wasn't one, that changed quickly - are business savvy, and they've worked out how to get away with things.

Maybe he just thinks certain chairmen are being very hypocritical in saying one thing in public and doing a very different thing in private, and is calling them for that?

If there are clubs flaunting the cap with creative solutions because the cap is too low, why can't the sport just be transparent and say the cap needs raising?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users