Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Maybe he just looks around and wonders how some clubs get away with doing a b & c when others don't? Maybe he just wants the best for Salford and isn't prepared to sit back and die wondering?

Whatever, IMO it makes a change to see a chairman of a lower club kicking off and wanting the best for them. I'm sure he'll calm down in time.

Are clubs getting away with it? I'm sure it's very very easy to do a quick check to see if Wigan, Warrington or Leeds have any players wives working for one of their sponsor's companies.

I'm also interested in his point that he is pretty much paying to the full cap already this year. If that is the case they are either paying well over the odds already, or it is clear that the top clubs ignore the cap.

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'd rather he shouted about it rather than kept it quiet if I'm honest. Good on him IMO. No investor can currently get his side into the top 4 with the current cap I'm afraid. Fev go on about spending full cap if they get into SL yet they'll be lucky to break into the top 8 even if they do so.

Maybe the top clubs don't want a rise in salary cap because if it stays at 1.8m they have a better chance to stay at the top.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Most on here are missing the big picture.

Are those - so vehemently against MK`s comments - satisfied with the way the game is going? - satisfied that the very top players are actually coming into RL? etc etc

Moyes is on £80k a week whilst at Everton.   So lets say Salford amass 30 players @ £ 60k pa  the current salary cap is hit.   Is that the quality we need in this game?

We must start to appeal to people who want to see excitement and quality and until the Cap is abolished the game will not made inroads.

Not really sure of your point. Football has a billion pound contract and sponsors coming out of its ears so their players and managers can be paid more.

#44 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Are clubs getting away with it? I'm sure it's very very easy to do a quick check to see if Wigan, Warrington or Leeds have any players wives working for one of their sponsor's companies.

I'm also interested in his point that he is pretty much paying to the full cap already this year. If that is the case they are either paying well over the odds already, or it is clear that the top clubs ignore the cap.

Sinfield has said that a lot of the Leeds players could earn more moving to other clubs, but they'll stay on a slightly lower salary because of the culture at the club and the opportunity to win things. I'm sure the same can be said of players at Wigan/Wire etc.

So spending the salary cap won't necessarily get you players that are as good as another club that pays the full cap (look at London for example)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Dave, businesses are always one step ahead of the authorities when it comes to declaring incomes or avoiding paying their full whack. I'm pretty sure the guys involved in our top RL clubs are no different.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#46 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Mentioned on another thread, margquee players, union players salary don't count onf the cap for two years, I think, I posted it but my memory is a bit bleary!

Seperately, this is a bit of a slap in the face of the RFL - which they may need - but it was Wood who introduced him to the game and told him explicitely about Salford's troubles. They then allowed him to complete the take-over.

I am all in favour of a marquee player allowance in RL.

Let's be clear though that in the Aviva Premiership there is only 1 marquee player (MP) per club and that there are a number of restrictions governing the application of the allowance in regard to English players.

For example, Newcastle RU are likely to be promoted back to the Aviva for next season. Let's imagine they want a new fly half/ stand off. The Falcons could sign All Black maestro Dan Carter, register him as their marquee player on a £2m pa contract, pay him that amount from day 1 and still have the full £4.3m cap for the rest of their squad. So their effective cap is £6.3m.

However, if they wanted to sign say Owen Farrell from Saracens, they would have to wait 2 years before they could register him as their marquee player. They could pay him £2m pa from day 1 but this would count on the cap. This measure is designed to stop clubs raiding each other for English players.

Obviously there could be issues about the exact identity of the marquee player and other squad members feeling hard done by so I think most Premiership clubs keep their marquee player's identity underwraps. Bath I think went public on the fact All Black McDonald was their MP but by all accounts he was a flop (Bath are loaded though so wouldn't have been an issue). It is probably fair to assume that Gavin Henson was London Welsh's MP, and that Danny Cirpriani would be Sale's MP.

#47 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

He is outspoken because he wants to keep the topic on the agenda ,

It's not surprise the SL clubs who voted for no change in the cap are the ones who are benefitting most from the current arrangement...

the quote about overspending the cap initially is not a new one , he annouced this in his 1st interview in January .

Is it about being honest about how finances are actually handled in SL , or about knowing ' your place ' in the SL pecking order ?

Salford City Reds' owner says he'll simply mirror what other clubs have done to work around the Super League's salary cap rules

With Brian Noble - Ed Farish & Andrew Chalmers he'll be well appraised how ' things are done ' , isn't it he is actually being the most candid about what is going on ?

He'd  have to go some to bring a sport so mis mangaged by it's own authorities into disrepute ..

Edited by Middleman, 09 May 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#48 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Dave, it sometimes takes something like this to stir up the cosy boys gang that seem to have settled into Red Hall. Nothing wrong with a bit of controversy sometimes, I'm sure he is no mug and not so green as to tell about something wrong he might do.

Besides, he's only saying what actually happens.

I think thats what he might be trying to do, stir the hornets nest so to speak, rattle a few cages, and see where it gets him!

#49 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

totally agree with hindle and brooza flagrant disregard for the rules of the game will bring anarchy and koukash is being an absolute prat spouting that he will break the salary cap, perhaps he should break the cap and sign a few thousand more supporters for the club..............

If what he says is true, there already is a 'flagrant disregard for the rules.' It's just being restricted to a small cartel.

At least he's being honest.

#50 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think thats what he might be trying to do, stir the hornets nest so to speak, rattle a few cages, and see where it gets him!

So far: nowhere.

The salary cap has not been raised, Salford have not been exempted from the cap ...

Meanwhile Salford's average crowd has dropped from 5,431 last season to 3,285 this.

What a brilliant mind the good doctor is.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

The salary cap has not been raised, Salford have not been exempted from the cap ...

Meanwhile Salford's average crowd has dropped from 5,431 last season to 3,285 this.

Had he not taken over what would have happened? Would crowds magically have grown?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#52 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

If Scott Prince had signed for Hull his dog was getting a £250k kennel built ;) :D
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#53 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Sinfield has said that a lot of the Leeds players could earn more moving to other clubs, but they'll stay on a slightly lower salary because of the culture at the club and the opportunity to win things. I'm sure the same can be said of players at Wigan/Wire etc.

So spending the salary cap won't necessarily get you players that are as good as another club that pays the full cap (look at London for example)

This is exactly why the cap doesn't work. The bigger clubs will stay the bigger clubs as the only way the up and coming clubs (think man city in football) can compete is by offering big wages.

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

He has signed Darrell Griffin though.

#55 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

and this type of announcement is the reason we should never return to P&R people like koukash would willingly break the rules to keep their club in the top flight.

** polite cough **

As I mistook you for a Wigan follower the first time,I must stress that for a Widnes follower to mention promotion and relegation after you lot cried sufficiently to form a sea when Crusaders were promoted,and the salary cap has failed in not only its objectives but in the way it has been policed,the criticism of Dr Koukash is wholly wrong.

The coverage for/and of Salford in the press,and on forums,is pretty impressive.

As you NOW do not want to return to promotion and relegation demonstrates the hypocrisy of a Widnes follower now that you have a rich owner and one who seems to have got his own way with the RFL,for reasons not made public.

#56 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

You are hardly a 'brilliant mind' yourself if you think Dr K has anything to do with the fall in crowds at Salford this year. Really silly point.

#57 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

My word Ginge you do not like him do you?   Give it a rest.  As for Salford - we are very lucky to have had hime in the first place - we had no chance of competing this season as our squad was decimated and all our decent players `cherry picked`.   Compare our crowds NEXT season and then I would be happy to debate with you.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Before I catch up, I did wonder; if this was to help bring about change then I'd be all for it, except it isn't, he opens by saying he asked for a dispensation for Salford. That was refused so now he's taken this tactic.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

My word Ginge you do not like him do you?   Give it a rest.  As for Salford - we are very lucky to have had hime in the first place - we had no chance of competing this season as our squad was decimated and all our decent players `cherry picked`.   Compare our crowds NEXT season and then I would be happy to debate with you.

If he's still around next season then I'll be happy to debate with you too. It's not that I don't like him it's just that beyond waving a cheque book around and yelling I've not seen anything to back up this idea of a shrewd man who's going to turn Salford into a powerhouse. The fact that crowds have plunged is significant to my mind because if the noises coming out of the club were positive rather than an owner shouting about how little respect he has for the competition then the combination of new ground and new investment should have led to at least a plateau from last season.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

If what he says is true, there already is a 'flagrant disregard for the rules.' It's just being restricted to a small cartel.

At least he's being honest.

It's a big if. How would he know that the big clubs are breaking the cap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users