Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#61 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Rich ! From a Wigan follower the very club that breached the salary cap when Noble was coach and they avoided relegation after signing Fielden at a then world record and where the 'I'm all right Jack' attitude still exists.http://www.wigantoda...y-cap-1-5625250

Not a very nice attitude after the RFL did all it could to assist your club just a short time ago.
  Dr Koukash has made his feelings known as an outsider after entering the sport.The chairman at St Helens who made his wealth through banking also wishes the salary cap was raised.As the RFL seem reluctant to express their deliberations to a wider public it would seem Dr Koukash has a low patience threshold.
 As Dr Koukash has made a lot of money in more than one area,he is probably far more qualified and knowledgeable than any number of detractors and is wanting to raise the profile of the sport and encourage more investment.
  About time someone with some business savvy got involved.I cannot see a queue of players forming,to complain,any time soon.

wigan follower me??? i think the first part of my user name should give you a clue as to who i support!!!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#62 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

You are hardly a 'brilliant mind' yourself if you think Dr K has anything to do with the fall in crowds at Salford this year. Really silly point.

Oddly one of the points made by some on here in his favour when he first started banging on was that 'all publicity is good publicity' and this dynamic approach would have them flocking to the City of Salford Stadium.

Hasn't happened. And I'm not aware that the new owner has done anything to try and get people into the habit of seeing Salford play (but then as I'm not local maybe he has been and he's just really unlucky).

Doing down the competition, shouting about how your club needs special treatment or it will be uncompetitive and then announcing that you're going to break the rules anyway ... exactly how is this building a sustainable club or one that people will support?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#63 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

At least he's being honest,unlike the other clubs that have broken the salary cap.Good on him,I say.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#64 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

At least he's being honest,unlike the other clubs that have broken the salary cap.Good on him,I say.

It's always good to handicap your team. It'll be awesome for Salford when the points deduction is applied next season and impacts the team that they've actually managed to recruit rather than this season's patchwork version.
- Severus, July 2012

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

My word Ginge you do not like him do you?   Give it a rest.  As for Salford - we are very lucky to have had hime in the first place - we had no chance of competing this season as our squad was decimated and all our decent players `cherry picked`.   Compare our crowds NEXT season and then I would be happy to debate with you.

Salford are lucky to have him, and rugby league is also lucky to have his money. But if he does get found out and Salford are docked points for overspending the salary cap* time and time again until he gets his way, he might get fed up and walk, which really would be bad. It's almost as if Salford are a pawn in this.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

* however clubs are supposed to be punished by breaking the cap these days, since it went live miraculously everyone has fallen in line and no sanctions have been placed.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#67 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's always good to handicap your team. It'll be awesome for Salford when the points deduction is applied next season and impacts the team that they've actually managed to recruit rather than this season's patchwork version.

Meh.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#68 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

True, but on here some posters know where to look online to find streaming of live games, whether they are legitimate websites or not...

However, we're not allowed to post them on here. Slightly convoluted point but what I mean is the powers that be won't allow it, even though it happens.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#69 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

** polite cough **
                            As I mistook you for a Wigan follower the first time,I must stress that for a Widnes follower to mention promotion and relegation after you lot cried sufficiently to form a sea when Crusaders were promoted,and the salary cap has failed in not only its objectives but in the way it has been policed,the criticism of Dr Koukash is wholly wrong.
The coverage for/and of Salford in the press,and on forums,is pretty impressive.
As you NOW do not want to return to promotion and relegation demonstrates the hypocrisy of a Widnes follower now that you have a rich owner and one who seems to have got his own way with the RFL,for reasons not made public.

no hypocrisy from me, i never agreed with the slipshod way in which the promoted team were given around 3 months to build a team worthy of competing in the top flight, licensing has given every team that opportunity which was only afforded to catalans before the license structure was introduced.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#70 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Oddly one of the points made by some on here in his favour when he first started banging on was that 'all publicity is good publicity' and this dynamic approach would have them flocking to the City of Salford Stadium.

Hasn't happened. And I'm not aware that the new owner has done anything to try and get people into the habit of seeing Salford play (but then as I'm not local maybe he has been and he's just really unlucky).

Doing down the competition, shouting about how your club needs special treatment or it will be uncompetitive and then announcing that you're going to break the rules anyway ... exactly how is this building a sustainable club or one that people will support?

Oh Lordy, do you really think having an outspoken chairman is likely to have any bearing on attendance? Did you actually type that with a straight face?

If that was so, maybe London need to bring in Nigel Farage as chairman.

What Koukash has actually done is simple: he's made it clear that the tolerance of mediocrity and ineptitude is a thing of the past.

However, he's also realised that the current status quo makes it virtually impossible to break up the ruling cartel, so he's essentially making provocative statements to challenge conventional thinking and, hopefully, force the RFL to respond.

If you really think he's saying these things to build crowds or to somehow drop the club in it, then you need to have a long lie down.

He's rattling cages and awaiting a response. Nothing more.

#71 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Oh Lordy, do you really think having an outspoken chairman is likely to have any bearing on attendance? Did you actually type that with a straight face?

What Koukash has actually done is simple: he's made it clear that the tolerance of mediocrity and ineptitude is a thing of the past.

However, he's also realised that the current status quo makes it virtually impossible to break up the ruling cartel, so he's essentially making provocative statements to challenge conventional thinking and, hopefully, force the RFL to respond.

If you really think he's saying these things to build crowds or to somehow drop the club in it, then you need to have a long lie down.

Oddly, I don't think having an outspoken chairman increases attendances. I think the exact opposite. I think it harms attendances. That's why I drew attention to them virtually halving back to Willows levels since the Doctor took over. I'm aware of all the other issues but do think that a smart Chairman, particularly a wealthy one, would be working damn hard to get the fanbase back and I'm not aware that he is.

I know he's rattling cages and awaiting a response. He's done it regularly since arriving. And on every point he has been ignored. If it's a tactic, it's not working.
- Severus, July 2012

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

To what end though? His opening gambit was to have a Salford salary cap dispensation. Which was rejected so he'll do what the rest do. I doesn't seem to me like it was a move to bring about change in the league, he's openly admitted he likes winning and in turn wants Salford to win things from near enough the off, he'll do this by whatever means he thinks he can.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

i remember the last person who came to that area making all kinds of wild statements and promises....michael knighton anyone??

#74 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Oddly, I don't think having an outspoken chairman increases attendances. I think the exact opposite. I think it harms attendances. That's why I drew attention to them virtually halving back to Willows levels since the Doctor took over. I'm aware of all the other issues but do think that a smart Chairman, particularly a wealthy one, would be working damn hard to get the fanbase back and I'm not aware that he is.

I know he's rattling cages and awaiting a response. He's done it regularly since arriving. And on every point he has been ignored. If it's a tactic, it's not working.

You're points about crowds "virtually halving back to Willows levels since the Doctor took over" show a real lack of factual awareness. So it's really not worth having a debate.

You've got an issue with the doctor and are happy to disregard the facts in order to promote your argument. Fine, go for it.

#75 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

You've got an issue with the doctor

And his cheerleaders.

But, believe me, if I am wrong and he creates a stable, winning and well-supported team in Salford there won't be many happier than me.

I'll even come on here and say I was wrong.

For now though, all I can see is bluster.
- Severus, July 2012

#76 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

True, but on here some posters know where to look online to find streaming of live games, whether they are legitimate websites or not...

However, we're not allowed to post them on here. Slightly convoluted point but what I mean is the powers that be won't allow it, even though it happens.

The powers that be here don't have a role in stopping these sites.

The RFL have a role in monitoring the Salary Cap.

#77 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

The powers that be here don't have a role in stopping these sites.

The RFL have a role in monitoring the Salary Cap.

<_< ######.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#78 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Did Simon Moran take this approach with Warrington - or did he realise that with some hard work and clever investments you actually could break into the top group?

Did Ken Davey decide that he couldn;t do anything within the salary cap at Hudds?

Did Catalan take this approach? Or Hull?

No, they all got their heads down and cracked on with it, with varying levels of success. To suggest that teams can't break into the top group is nonsense.

#79 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

This guy is just what the sport needs - headlines, creativity, can do and blllllooody well will do !

Has he got any friends who might be intersted ?

#80 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

It's pretty obvious to me he isn't plotting to do anything illegal, he's just venting his frustration at the salary cap, and I think he's right to point out that it looks to be holding the game back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users