Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#81 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

i remember the last person who came to that area making all kinds of wild statements and promises....michael knighton anyone??

Maybe but Mr Koukash has money - or the availability of money - His Horse Bills every month are £200k+ - Mr Knighton was a Schoolteacher without Capital.  Therein lies the answer.

#82 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Did Simon Moran take this approach with Warrington - or did he realise that with some hard work and clever investments you actually could break into the top group?

Did Ken Davey decide that he couldn;t do anything within the salary cap at Hudds?

Did Catalan take this approach? Or Hull?

No, they all got their heads down and cracked on with it, with varying levels of success. To suggest that teams can't break into the top group is nonsense.

You've named four clubs with a grand final of TWO grand final appearances between them.

You've also named Warrington as evidence of what can be achieved by complying with the salary cap. Brilliant!

#83 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

At least he's being honest,unlike the other clubs that have broken the salary cap.Good on him,I say.

How do you know he is being honest. He may have already knowingly broken the salary cap and his allegations have not been accompanied by any detail or supporting evidence.

#84 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

How do you know he is being honest. He may have already knowingly broken the salary cap and his allegations have not been accompanied by any detail or supporting evidence.

You know something. I really don't care if he breaks the cap or not.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#85 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

You've named four clubs with a grand final of TWO grand final appearances between them.

You've also named Warrington as evidence of what can be achieved by complying with the salary cap. Brilliant!

Not really worth discussing much with you tbh Pottsy.

I hope you are not saying that Warrington do not comply with the salary cap. Not sure webby would be overjoyed with that.

#86 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

This guy is just what the sport needs - headlines, creativity, can do and blllllooody well will do !

Has he got any friends who might be intersted ?

Wigan recently have been far more effective at grabbing headlines. Koukash has an obvious disregard for rules and seems to consider co-operating with people in a civil manner is how to do business in a field he has no knowledge of.

#87 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's a bit hard to properly understand what the Doctor is trying to achieve from these kinds of comments?

Is is about publicity and media attention, if so then it's working. If it's about gaining political advantage amongst the clubs then it can't be helping.

If it's truly about winning on the field though then I don't get it. Surely if the cap is tight then you a) Spend big off the field on infrastructure and support staff.

He's started well by bringing in Noble. But instead of breaking the cap why not build the best academy structure in SL and attract the top Rugby talent in the Greater Manchester area. Target the top 14-18year olds, buy the best development coach you can find, build the best gym and then let the pot simmer for 5 years.

After that time you'll be guaranteed to be a Top 4 teams with depth of talent and cheap stars coming through.

It just seems like he's not putting enough emphasis on the foundations and is impatient. But, as I say, that's assuming his agenda is transparent...

#88 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

i remember the last person who came to that area making all kinds of wild statements and promises....michael knighton anyone??

He is far from a Knighton , you any idea how much his weekly bill and associated costs will be for over a 100 horses in training??

The guy has serious dough and if he can be convinced that the game is a worthwhile way to spend his money then it might lead to other likeminded individuals to whom a few million a year on a RL club is chicken feed joining in....if only...and impossible with a salary cap of £1.65 million...

Edited by Marty Funkhouser, 09 May 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#89 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

It's pretty obvious to me he isn't plotting to do anything illegal, he's just venting his frustration at the salary cap, and I think he's right to point out that it looks to be holding the game back.

I think what he may be saying to the RFL is "if you have a cap police it properly" the RFL should be asking him what the fiddles are and who is using them then they can close any loopholes. 

He probably wants to only spend the cap limit, he knows however if he does and some clubs are by-passing the cap, he couldn't compete for top players, even if he decides to use the available 'fiddles' he won't be able to compete as the opposition who are a more attractive proposition than the cellar dwelling Salford could just up their package to a player.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#90 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

It's pretty obvious to me he isn't plotting to do anything illegal, he's just venting his frustration at the salary cap, and I think he's right to point out that it looks to be holding the game back.

His rant doesn't make sense though.

If he is frustrated with the cap, say that. It's pretty easy.

To suggest that the top clubs are ignoring the cap is out of order. Why are just the big clubs ignoring the cap? It fits in with the paranoid ramblings of fans who are jealous basically. 

Whilst people are defending his rants, it sends out a worrying signal for me. He hardly comes across as stable and in it for the long term based on his impatient rants so far. 

I don't doubt he will make things exciting and interesting over the next couple of years, I'm not convinced he'll be there in 10 years doing the hard work. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, because without him things don't look great at Salford.

#91 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

If the RFL are serious about the salary cap being adhered to then they should centrally employ ALL superleague players and take charge of the payroll/administration of their contracts as defined by the clubs for each player.

If Marwan Koukash wants to make Salford successful then he should start by giving Brian Noble the time and space to get on with it instead of seeking out cheap publicity that makes him look small minded, shouty, and ill informed.  If he has proof that others are abusing the cap then he should share it.  If he hasn't he should shut up.

He's been around shouting his mouth off for a couple of months now, all I've seen from him is the capture of Brian Noble (and how protracted was that?), public dressing down of his players, the unjust sacking of Phil Vievers, and the signing of a player (Griffin) that has had attitude problems pretty much wherever he's been.  What investment has there been in marketing and building on the very low crowd numbers?

I can't help raising a smile at the shot he's put accross the bows of the RFL and the cosy crew. I wonder if it's those that went to sound out Toulouse that's he's decided are the baddies.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#92 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

He is far from a Knighton , you any idea how much his weekly bill and associated costs will be for over a 100 horses in training??

The guy has serious dough and if he can be convinced that the game is a worthwhile way to spend his money then it might lead to other likeminded individuals to whom a few million a year on a RL club is chicken feed joining in....if only...and impossible with a salary cap of £1.65 million...

It's not impossible though, that's the thing.

Warrington have benefited from having a rich backer. So have Hudds. 

There are loads of things that can be invested in to get the competitive edge (including transfer fees).

Turning Salford round into a thriving club for the long term would be an outstanding achievement, and if he achieves that then I'm sure nobody will care what nonsense he comes up with.

#93 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Maybe he just looks around and wonders how some clubs get away with doing a b & c when others don't? Maybe he just wants the best for Salford and isn't prepared to sit back and die wondering?

Whatever, IMO it makes a change to see a chairman of a lower club kicking off and wanting the best for them. I'm sure he'll calm down in time.

Makes you wonder reading some of these replies if the fans of some clubs are just a little bit jealous ( not mention scared?) of what may be achieved at Salford if/when? They do recruit some much higher profile players and start to worry the (club) powers that be.

I would not say that I like the thought of so many outside influences ( I don't) coming into the game and eventually, presumably, taking over it, but yet again it cannot be argued with that his statement: of the game being "massively undersold " could not be put more accurately.

l

#94 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

FANTASTIC STUFF Go the Dr he is 100% right:)

I know of one ex Leeds player who used to openly tell everyone in the bar at the Catalan Dragons a few years ago that he used to collect his extra dosh in Hong Kong on the way home to OZ:))) Everyone knows it goes on the Dr is 100% right AND GOOD LUCK TO HIM:)

CM

Walter Mitty strikes again.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#95 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

If the RFL are serious about the salary cap being adhered to then they should centrally employ ALL superleague players and take charge of the payroll/administration of their contracts as defined by the clubs for each player.

How does paying players via the RFL stop someone writing a player a cheque, unless you think they'd be daft enough to send it to the RFL wages department to pass on.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#96 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Makes you wonder reading some of these replies if the fans of some clubs are just a little bit jealous ( not mention scared?) of what may be achieved at Salford if/when? They do recruit some much higher profile players and start to worry the (club) powers that be.

I would not say that I like the thought of so many outside influences ( I don't) coming into the game and eventually, presumably, taking over it, but yet again it cannot be argued with that his statement: of the game being "massively undersold " could not be put more accurately.

l

I'm not sure why anybody would be jealous or worried. 

I don't think anybody is happy with what has been going on at Salford for the last few years with their under-performance. Read the threads from when he took over, people all over the game were delighted and everybody knew then that he was rich and prepared to invest - people are now questioning his ramblings.

#97 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

I know for a FACT that Salford have been breaking the cap for years*

I don't, I was just seeing how easy it was to type something like this without evidence. It would appear that there is no filter on here.

#98 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

I think what he may be saying to the RFL is "if you have a cap police it properly" the RFL should be asking him what the fiddles are and who is using them then they can close any loopholes. 

I agree with this.  Noble should be able to give him a perspective from his time at Wigan I would think.

#99 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

"The sport itself is massively under-marketed and undersold."

"But for some reason the people who are involved want to keep it the way it is. They seem to be in a comfort zone.

“People who say don’t increase the cap because it might ruin the sport have negative, defeatist attitudes.

“It’s totally the opposite. The way things are, over the next 18 months, we’ll probably lose two or three clubs. How good is that?”

The topic , as usual has gone the way of most recent posts about Salford & Marwan Koukash-  Doubters who think he is skint , & Haters with short memories .

I'm not so stupid as to argue against claims  Koukash is sometimes ill educated in the ' craft of SL manners ' or not hyprotical , yes he is pursuing a cap increase for Salford's/ his interest .  

We had a well mannered Chairman who guided the club for over 30 yrs , never upset anyone mainly because he never had the Players Or capital to really contest. but ultimately he left us a devastated club owing millions by playing fair ...

Now we have a not so well mannered Chairman for 12 weeks , who is upsetting everyone , because he has capital and wants to use it for players to contest, and he he might not play fair ..

ask me which one I prefer , and say that those 3 quotes above  aren't patently true.

#100 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

How does paying players via the RFL stop someone writing a player a cheque, unless you think they'd be daft enough to send it to the RFL wages department to pass on.

Fair call.  Without them having to account for all their debits/credits and HMRC involvement I don't think that it can ever be assured.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 09 May 2013 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users