Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#121 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Or classed as one of the golden boy clubs thus treated differently when caught.

Since the cap went live, no-one has been caught, which in itself I find baffling.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#122 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Since the cap went live, no-one has been caught, which in itself I find baffling.

Isn't that the whole point of it being live. If you attempt to sign someone who could possibly take you over the cap the RFL won't allow it.

#123 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

Isn't that the whole point of it being live. If you attempt to sign someone who could possibly take you over the cap the RFL won't allow it.

Yes, it is. I'm just amazaed everyone has managed to fall in line immediately since... or have they? Dun, dun, dunnn!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#124 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

So if they're caught the cap's not working and if they're not caught the cap's not working.

Catch-22 rugby league style.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#125 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

So if they're caught the cap's not working and if they're not caught the cap's not working.

Catch-22 rugby league style.

Prefer to call it Tap-20.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#126 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Wasn't the issue with the old salary cap was that it was based on a percentage of turnover which could be open to interpretation?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#127 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I read what he said as an attempt to goad the RFL into some form of action over the salary cap.

Read post #89 neither of you are naive.

#128 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Prefer to call it Tap-20.

Good work
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#129 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Sorry of this has already been mentioned, but surely, with the live cap now in place, it's not possible to break the salary cap anyway? Players just won't be registered.
Posted Image

#130 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I think he's making noises about the cap for the reasons I posted earlier, he wants it policing properly (though I do think they try hard as it is) or changing, his preference being keep it and change it/police it better.

He's no bloody fool, he know's what he's saying and isn't mouthing off for the hell of it.

Also read this above Red John.

I've long since given up taking press releases seriously, and certainly don't take them at face value.

The messages are always half hidden and I don't think he's either trying to get rid of the cap so he can lead Rugby League to the stars and back with an army of new investors, nor is he intending to break all the rules because he can't get his own way.

I'll go for the middle ground where he has threatened to utlise underhand practices to spend more if other clubs are allowed to get away with it. It raises a headline and raises the profile of his club and will hopefully get the lapsed Salford fans behind the club in this "It's me and Salford against the RL world" type of marketing.

As for the idea that scrap the cap and Fred and Albert Koukash will come in and take a club each and spend millions too is not exactly in line with reality.

The record is that nobody rich wanted Bradford.
The record is that nobody rich wanted Wakefield.
The rich man at HKR doesn't want to know nor does anyone else
The rich man at Cas doesn't want to know nor does anyone else
The rich man at Widnes doesn't want to know nor does anyone else

That's five clubs who can't manage the salary cap as it is!

Koukash knows that for him success is to replace one of the three top dogs. If the top dogs ARE getting away with things then he needs to act and has acted.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 May 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#131 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

The record is that nobody rich wanted Bradford.
The record is that nobody rich wanted Wakefield.
The rich man at HKR doesn't want to know nor does anyone else
The rich man at Cas doesn't want to know nor does anyone else
The rich man at Widnes doesn't want to know nor does anyone else

There's rich men and then there are rich men.

These rich might probably aren't rich enough, where as Dr Koukash probably is. Wakey and Bulls merely have wealthy men.

Edited by Ponterover, 10 May 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#132 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

The topic , as usual has gone the way of most recent posts about Salford & Marwan Koukash-  Doubters who think he is skint , & Haters with short memories .

I'm not so stupid as to argue against claims  Koukash is sometimes ill educated in the ' craft of SL manners ' or not hyprotical , yes he is pursuing a cap increase for Salford's/ his interest .  

We had a well mannered Chairman who guided the club for over 30 yrs , never upset anyone mainly because he never had the Players Or capital to really contest. but ultimately he left us a devastated club owing millions by playing fair ...

Now we have a not so well mannered Chairman for 12 weeks , who is upsetting everyone , because he has capital and wants to use it for players to contest, and he he might not play fair ..

ask me which one I prefer , and say that those 3 quotes above  aren't patently true.

Excellent post Middleman.  btw - the Darren Brown image is better than yours on our Board :lol: :lol:

#133 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Since the cap went live, no-one has been caught, which in itself I find baffling

Not really, the cap is easy to circumvent: Sponsor, brings top talent from overseas for which he'll pay the bloke 250k per annum to act as a rep for his firm - player takes up a £500 per week job at a SL club [just to keep up his fitness]. The RFL don't have any right to check a sponsor's bank account [and probably don't even know who the sponsor is] so, much as they might well suspect something is a tad fishy, what can they do about it? As long as the overseas bloke sticks to his visa conditions about working he's laughing.

BTW, I don't actually think anything like that is going on, and I truthfully believe the clubs are being generally honest, but it would be possible, even if the number of people in the know [like all the other reps who never see said overseas chap in the office] might well start murmering out loud..

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#134 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Personally if I was a Salford fan I'd be worried about Koukash's comments about needing to win. It smacks to me of complete impatience and the words of someone who isn't in it for the long haul or to build something - its more of a gloryhunter mentality. There's a chance that in a year or two when he still hasn't won anything and crowds are still low then he'll get bored and clear off.

As for the salary cap, well obviously Marwan doesn't like it but those who think he should get his own way should think very carefully about what they're advocating. The benfactors at other clubs are getting fed up now at struggling to compete with the big clubs despite pouring money in, if you give the big clubs a bigger cap then the smaller clubs' position becomes even worse and you might just find some of those benefactors walk away and give up on an impossible task. You might appease one man and lose 5 or 6 other key people from the game in the process. Is that progress ? If the likes of Hudgell, O'Connor, Fulton, Hughes etc think its becoming a waste of time and money now then leaving them lagging further behind might just be the tipping point that drives them away completely.

#135 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Not really, the cap is easy to circumvent: Sponsor, brings top talent from overseas for which he'll pay the bloke 250k per annum to act as a rep for his firm - player takes up a £500 per week job at a SL club [just to keep up his fitness]. The RFL don't have any right to check a sponsor's bank account [and probably don't even know who the sponsor is] so, much as they might well suspect something is a tad fishy, what can they do about it? As long as the overseas bloke sticks to his visa conditions about working he's laughing.

BTW, I don't actually think anything like that is going on, and I truthfully believe the clubs are being generally honest, but it would be possible, even if the number of people in the know [like all the other reps who never see said overseas chap in the office] might well start murmering out loud..

I think that the clubs cant risk behaving in this manner. Imagine a club adopting this policy and then the player in a few years time falling out with the club for one reason or another. That player then has ammunition to tell the authorities of his circumstances.

There is no way a club would go about adopting these policies. The cap is there and the clubs are forced to abide by it or face the very likelihood that they will be caught and punished.

#136 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Personally if I was a Salford fan I'd be worried about Koukash's comments about needing to win. It smacks to me of complete impatience and the words of someone who isn't in it for the long haul or to build something - its more of a gloryhunter mentality. There's a chance that in a year or two when he still hasn't won anything and crowds are still low then he'll get bored and clear off.

As for the salary cap, well obviously Marwan doesn't like it but those who think he should get his own way should think very carefully about what they're advocating. The benfactors at other clubs are getting fed up now at struggling to compete with the big clubs despite pouring money in, if you give the big clubs a bigger cap then the smaller clubs' position becomes even worse and you might just find some of those benefactors walk away and give up on an impossible task. You might appease one man and lose 5 or 6 other key people from the game in the process. Is that progress ? If the likes of Hudgell, O'Connor, Fulton, Hughes etc think its becoming a waste of time and money now then leaving them lagging further behind might just be the tipping point that drives them away completely.

I agree. Other sports with have alternate ways to narrow the competition like a draft system as well as a cap. Unfortunately an increase at the moment will not increase the competitiveness of clubs but widen it the gap

#137 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

And I agree entirely, we have the beginnings of a clique.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#138 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

The benfactors at other clubs are getting fed up now at struggling to compete with the big clubs despite pouring money in, if you give the big clubs a bigger cap then the smaller clubs' position becomes even worse and you might just find some of those benefactors walk away and give up on an impossible task. You might appease one man and lose 5 or 6 other key people from the game in the process. Is that progress ? If the likes of Hudgell, O'Connor, Fulton, Hughes etc think its becoming a waste of time and money now then leaving them lagging further behind might just be the tipping point that drives them away completely.

Isn't this happening already ?

#139 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

He needs the increase to fit Sonny Bill Willaims and Michael Dobson in his side. You heard it hear first!

#140 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Seems the Dr has had some secret meetings with a couple of other SL owners i think.

CM

it's no secret that he is a good friend of eamon mcanus
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users