Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to move in with Barnet FC?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

a rumour that has been sweeping the massed ranks of London RL fans for the past couple of days (there's quite a long thread on it by now on the Broncos fans forum) has now surfaced in the media:

http://www.guardian....ground-the-hive

I'm chuffed with this but now stand back and wait for some sour northern git to point out the ground capacity and start carping. Go on then, dare you ;-)

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I like the idea (depending on car parking) as I can drive there fairly easily from my house :D

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

me too, 20 minutes - fandabbydozy! The site has 300 car parking spots and I know Canons Park tube has a car park nearby. Not sure what the street parking situation is - if it really is happening I'll do a recce. Really really want this to happen. The club could finally put down roots, we could get a good atmosphere going, the training facilities are top class, it's near my house - oh, did I already mention that?

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,895 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Two Jubilee Line stations close by, two Northern Line stations not that far away either. And, if the plans for the nearby Oriental City regeneration go ahead as planned, a good destination all round.

Edited by Futtocks, 09 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

The only downside surely is that capacity. There can't be any long-term future if we're going to call a 5,600 capacity venue 'home'.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's not East London though is it? I thought the idea was a share with Gillingham, or Orient or someone in that direction to alienate the core fans in the West
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

The only downside surely is that capacity. There can't be any long-term future if we're going to call a 5,600 capacity venue 'home'.

at the moment it's ample but if a revival comes then there looks like there's a lot of space to expand. What's better for now - a small, brand new ground that will have an atmosphere or rattling around like peas in a tin at a ground that holds a lot more? Plus what's the best ever London RL average attendance? Whatever it is, it wouldnt be that massive a redevelopment to build a stand big enough to match it.

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

http://www.thehivefootballcentre.com/

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

i think Barnet have plans to extend the capacity to 10,000 in time.. sure i read that online in the last couple of days. though obviously at the moment 5000 is going to be the capacity. but let sbe honest, if the Broncos managed a 5000 crowd in the next couple of years id be over the moon!

on a slight tangent, saw a saracens game on TV last weekend, they're ground in Barnet looks very very nice..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

It's 17 miles from The Stoop as the crow flies, so close-ish to its existing fan base.

#11 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

the facility looks pretty good to satisfy all the the club would require for training, development and administration.

The location while a little far out from the centre is easily connected by the tube.

Also within reasonable distance of the existing C1 clubs so may persuade a few supporters to double up.

Gives the Broncos and RFL a chance to build a bit of a N London RL hub with three pro clubs all within 25 miles of each other.

Shame the RFL and Broncos didn't get onto it at the planning stages and invest to become part owners.

#12 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

i think Barnet have plans to extend the capacity to 10,000 in time.. sure i read that online in the last couple of days. though obviously at the moment 5000 is going to be the capacity. but let sbe honest, if the Broncos managed a 5000 crowd in the next couple of years id be over the moon!

on a slight tangent, saw a saracens game on TV last weekend, they're ground in Barnet looks very very nice..

FYI The South East England Champion (Carnegie that was ) Schools finals were played at Saracens' Allianz stadium earlier this week, so it's already been used for Rugby League games. 

https://pbs.twimg.co...1_RCcAAvSR7.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.co...YTvCIAEvkHn.jpg

Edited by tw15, 09 May 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#13 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

the facility looks pretty good to satisfy all the the club would require for training, development and administration.

The location while a little far out from the centre is easily connected by the tube.

Also within reasonable distance of the existing C1 clubs so may persuade a few supporters to double up.

Gives the Broncos and RFL a chance to build a bit of a N London RL hub with three pro clubs all within 25 miles of each other.

Shame the RFL and Broncos didn't get onto it at the planning stages and invest to become part owners.

Nothing to stop the Broncos or RFL getting involved in ownership of the place further down the line. We're talking about a Conference football team here, it wouldnt be a case of being very much the junior partners.

I'm sure a large % of Skolars fans already are Broncos fans and as for this Stags ST holder I'll be first in line for a Broncos one as well if this move happens. Come on RL gods smile down upon me

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

On the 'Saturday afternoon from the Chandos, St Martin's Lane test ...' it's 65 minutes.
- Severus, July 2012

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

FYI The South East England Champion (Carnegie that was ) Schools finals were played at Saracens' Allianz stadium earlier this week, so it's already been used for Rugby League games. 

https://pbs.twimg.co...1_RCcAAvSR7.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.co...YTvCIAEvkHn.jpg

I don't know why, but that feels like a little "win" in my eyes! It warms the heart!!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Would look to be a solution that could be made to work. Right size for what they need, right side of London, on the tube, new ground, so they can be at the start of the ground's history, Barnet are never going to be a big club, and there seems to be the space to develop the ground, if London put down roots and develop as they should.

However you can't help but suspect that the Broncos will find some way to cock it up.

#17 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would love Broncos to find a proper home and flourish. Just what happened to the SL licencing law for a 10000 capacity stadium?

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

If this is the Broncos true long term home then thats brilliant !!

#19 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Sharing with a Rugby Union Club and calling them Harlequins was close to disasterous.............................Rugby League is not rugby Union., we do not have the same values or beliefs and culturally there was a massive Chasm. I am glad that London will move because they need to get away from being remotely connected to a Union club

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I would love Broncos to find a proper home and flourish. Just what happened to the SL licencing law for a 10000 capacity stadium?

It's worth a point on the licence that's all. It just happens to be one of the few points London could tick.
- Severus, July 2012