There will be no new WCC format

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Plans like Gary Hetherington's for an expanded WCC will not be accepted.

The NRL commission will announce that one of their primary focus will be to improve the international calendar with no intention of changing the existing WCC format apart from exploring the opportunity for clubs to compete for the title at the end of the respective club seasons.

What a shame they don't make the WCC two divisions of 12!

#2 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Instead of the 14/16 two divisions they have now?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

You have any inside knowledge on this or did it come to you in a dream?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Plans like Gary Hetherington's for an expanded WCC will not be accepted.

The NRL commission will announce that one of their primary focus will be to improve the international calendar with no intention of changing the existing WCC format apart from exploring the opportunity for clubs to compete for the title at the end of the respective club seasons.

To be honest I would be more than happy if the NRL are to get serious about the international game, a development that is much overdue and more important IMO than expanding the WCC.

If any change were to be made to the WCC, it is to play both SL and NRL Grand Finals on the same weekend and then the WCC within a fortnight of the Grand Finals.

#5 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Instead of the 14/16 two divisions they have now?

haha, indeed

#6 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

You have any inside knowledge on this or did it come to you in a dream?

yes, this information has been discussed already among the higher management within the RFL

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

So you know higher management with the RFL then?

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Honestly, arrange one match between Samoa and Tonga and suddenly the NRL are experts on the international game.

Genuinely would be a welcome development if they were to get keen on fixing it though. And I'd definitely take that over the WCC.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

The NRL commission will announce that one of their primary focus will be to improve the international calendar

They should start by not stealing Pacific Islanders from Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc. And the Kiwis can stop too!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#10 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

That's on daft idea gone at least. Now if we can just scrap this idea of an under funded SL 2.

#11 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

In the Samoa v Tonga game, one of the TV commentators said 30% of NRL players were Polynesian, and 40% were at under 19 comp level.

That suggests there's probably enough players for some decent Polynesian teams.  

With PNG, NZ, Tonga, Samoa and Australia, you've got the potential for a competitive 5 Nations tournament. The Samoa v Tonga game was played in Aus, and on TV in Tonga (Samoa as well I guess), so it could be played in Aus to full crowds.

Edited by tw15, 10 May 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#12 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Yeah that is of Polynesian heritage. Many are Australian or New Zealand born. I find myself a little contradicted because I would fully embrace these players to represent their heritage if they are born Australian, yet find it embarrassing when I hear Aussie accents interviewed in an Italian jumper.

I like the idea of a 5 nations style comp but the scary thing is, if those pacific island nations get regular big stage internationals against the Aussies and Kiwis, I see England falling to 6th in the world rankings

Edited by statties, 10 May 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

They should start by not stealing Pacific Islanders from Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc. And the Kiwis can stop too!

Such as who?
Posted Image

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

the scary thing is, if those pacific island nations get regular big stage internationals against the Aussies and Kiwis, I see England falling to 6th in the world rankings

If England fall behind those countries they have only themselves to blame.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

well, imo at least there wont be some convoluted WCC tournament mid season with more representatives than the two premiers. I just hope like another poster that this game is played at the end of the season and not the beginning.

#16 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Such as who?

Fuifui Moimoi

#17 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Which Pacific Islanders would these be ? Australia has contributed more players to international RL than any other followed by New Zealand.. 

#18 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

i have heard this before DHW, but all I have to say is Tony Carroll. Don't start getting on some moral high ground. The Aussies have been at the forefront of ruining international RL for almost 20 years

#19 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

The whole "stealing" thing doesn't sit right with me either. You hear it in rugby union also about New Zealand supposedly stealing all Islander players. I always get the feeling that people saying it must either think anyone who isn't white is an immigrant, or that actual migrants can't somehow assimiliate and become proper citizens of whichever nation they move to.

Must be a bit offensive for some of these Islander heritage players to hear how they should be playing for a place like Tonga, and not Australia or New Zealand, the countries in which for the most part they were born and raised in. It would be sort of like if an Aussie was to complain about England stealing players from the Carribean/Africa because there's been a few black Britons who've played in our team over the year  :lol: 

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Fuifui Moimoi

You mean a player that immigrated to NZ as a child, played all his junior RL in NZ and was developed there? I'd say he's very much representative of NZ RL.

Does Willie Manu playing for Tongan mean he was stolen from the Aussies then?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users