There will be no new WCC format

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm not sure that the WCC really needs to be expanded, but if it does, then Hetherington's idea was by far the best plan for it.

But if this really means that the NRL is going to put some serious weight behind international RL then it's the best outcome.

#22 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Plans like Gary Hetherington's for an expanded WCC will not be accepted.

The NRL commission will announce that one of their primary focus will be to improve the international calendar with no intention of changing the existing WCC format apart from exploring the opportunity for clubs to compete for the title at the end of the respective club seasons.

What a shame they don't make the WCC two divisions of 12!

That's not what Steve Mascord says that Scott Carter told him (check out the latest Forty 20). And,no offence, I'm leaning more towards believing him than your contacts/voices in head ;-)

Likely to be a two team comp in 2014 in Perth. The next it will be the 3 v 3 in England exactly as Hetherington said AND AND (I'm getting excited at this point) there are plans for the NRL teams to play exhibition games in Perpignan and London beforehand.  Check out Forty 20, there's a lot more to the article than that - a very interesting international calendar ahead. Exciting times we live in!

Edited by Rascal Bongo Stork, 13 May 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#23 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

The whole "stealing" thing doesn't sit right with me either. You hear it in rugby union also about New Zealand supposedly stealing all Islander players. I always get the feeling that people saying it must either think anyone who isn't white is an immigrant, or that actual migrants can't somehow assimiliate and become proper citizens of whichever nation they move to.

Must be a bit offensive for some of these Islander heritage players to hear how they should be playing for a place like Tonga, and not Australia or New Zealand, the countries in which for the most part they were born and raised in. It would be sort of like if an Aussie was to complain about England stealing players from the Carribean/Africa because there's been a few black Britons who've played in our team over the year  :lol:

That reminds me of a comment made on here during the Scotland v Tonga world cup game in 2008. Despite both sides being largely made up of players born elsewhere, this clown said that at least the pacific island side 'looked Tongan'.  :rolleyes:

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

As for the WCC, there might not be one for too much longer if we continue to lose players to the NRL and reduce the salary cap.

#25 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

That reminds me of a comment made on here during the Scotland v Tonga world cup game in 2008. Despite both sides being largely made up of players born elsewhere, this clown said that at least the pacific island side 'looked Tongan'.  :rolleyes:

Lol that's great. But that makes me curious... by what measure didn't the Scottish team look Scottish? Not enough red heads and a lack of tartan jerseys? :lol:

#26 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

That's not what Steve Mascord says that Scott Carter told him (check out the latest Forty 20). And,no offence, I'm leaning more towards believing him than your contacts/voices in head ;-)

Likely to be a two team comp in 2014 in Perth. The next it will be the 3 v 3 in England exactly as Hetherington said AND AND (I'm getting excited at this point) there are plans for the NRL teams to play exhibition games in Perpignan and London beforehand.  Check out Forty 20, there's a lot more to the article than that - a very interesting international calendar ahead. Exciting times we live in!

It is an interesting article, and it is at least reassuring that there is some long term planning going on. I guess the idea of the exhibition games is that they would be instead of pre-season trial games back in Oz. Seems like the Internationals for 2015 and even 2016 are still up in the air for discussion though. The idea of South Africa hosting the 2017 WC seems very unlikely though.

Edited by thirteenthman, 13 May 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Lol that's great. But that makes me curious... by what measure didn't the Scottish team look Scottish? Not enough red heads and a lack of tartan jerseys? :lol:

Exactly!

#28 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

Do you have a link for that article? if not, can it be scanned and put up here? I'd love to read it !

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

It is an interesting article, and it is at least reassuring that there is some long term planning going on. I guess the idea of the exhibition games is that they would be instead of pre-season trial games back in Oz. Seems like the Internationals for 2015 and even 2016 are still up in the air for discussion though. The idea of South Africa hosting the 2017 WC seems very unlikely though.

That hasn't seriously been discussed has it?!
Posted Image

#30 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Dont worry about the voices in my head (not yet anyway, I will let you know when to be concerned).

I am told that this info from Steve Mascord is a little out of date compared to the recent (less than two weeks ago) NRL Commission meeting which outlined their disapproval of any change to the format.

Ultimately, while the RLIF have no power to enforce any change to the WCC structure, there will be no change in the format accepted by the NRLC.

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

The expanded WCC was never going to happen.
Whats in it for the NRL Clubs?

#32 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

i have heard this before DHW, but all I have to say is Tony Carroll. Don't start getting on some moral high ground. The Aussies have been at the forefront of ruining international RL for almost 20 years

You used the term "steal" a term that that is extremely patronising to those individuals that chose to play for Australia or New Zealand, nobody held abducted these players and held a gun to their heads they chose who they wanted to play for. If anything it is Australia that is hard done by since they are responsible for teaching these players to play RL.

How many players representing the the likes for Samoa and Tonga have actually learnt to play RL outside Austrlia or new Zealand.

As stated already instead of destroying international RL without Austrlia amd to a lesser extent New Zealand international RL would be in a far worse state.

#33 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

That hasn't seriously been discussed has it?!

I'll quote Scott Carter from the interview:-

As RLIF chairman, I can say that there are two bids. There's South Africa, a country where there is definitely the infrasctructure and experience to stage an event of this magnitude. There is definitely still interest there. However, the SARL is having recognition issues with the government.

As NZRL chairman, I would say that the joint bid  of Australia and New Zealand, considering the audience and facilities would have overwhelming merit.

Steve Mascord does add that bid documents have gone out to SARL, ARL and the NZRL, so this interest may get no further than that. Carter does say further in the interview, in reference to the possible game between an Anzac side and GB in April 2015 that "some things get discussed without really being considered seriously".

#34 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Do you have a link for that article? if not, can it be scanned and put up here? I'd love to read it !

Guessing from your username you can't just pop down the shops and buy it - they don't put articles up to read for free so I'd reccomend looking at their digital issues online - http://www.exactedit...om/read/forty20 - will cost a couple of quid for the latest issue but if you like RL then you will love it, jam-packed full of similar articles. Downside is you will have to read off a screen so hopefully you have a tablet computer or such similar device. Think you can download a PDF as well which you can select bits to print off if you prefer.

RLW is good too mind, I feel obliged to say at this point!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'll quote Scott Carter from the interview:-

Steve Mascord does add that bid documents have gone out to SARL, ARL and the NZRL, so this interest may get no further than that. Carter does say further in the interview, in reference to the possible game between an Anzac side and GB in April 2015 that "some things get discussed without really being considered seriously".

Think it would be good if a joint bid between NZ, Western Australia and South Australia would be good, since the last one was only on the East Coasy,
Posted Image

#36 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Think it would be good if a joint bid between NZ, Western Australia and South Australia would be good, since the last one was only on the East Coasy,

Well, Carter does say that for both the 2014 4 Nations and the 2017 WC, a bidding process will be used to decide venues. A lobbying process has already begun for 2014 to the interested cities know which games are available. As Carter says, if a NZ city wants to bid for the final they can - so if Perth or Adelaide are interested they can bid as well.

#37 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Guessing from your username you can't just pop down the shops and buy it - they don't put articles up to read for free so I'd reccomend looking at their digital issues online - http://www.exactedit...om/read/forty20 - will cost a couple of quid for the latest issue but if you like RL then you will love it, jam-packed full of similar articles. Downside is you will have to read off a screen so hopefully you have a tablet computer or such similar device. Think you can download a PDF as well which you can select bits to print off if you prefer.

RLW is good too mind, I feel obliged to say at this point!

Thanks. i already subscribe to RLW, may also do with Forty20 ! need to get my fix of UKRL here in Oz !

#38 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

You used the term "steal" a term that that is extremely patronising to those individuals that chose to play for Australia or New Zealand, nobody held abducted these players and held a gun to their heads they chose who they wanted to play for. If anything it is Australia that is hard done by since they are responsible for teaching these players to play RL.

How many players representing the the likes for Samoa and Tonga have actually learnt to play RL outside Austrlia or new Zealand.

As stated already instead of destroying international RL without Austrlia amd to a lesser extent New Zealand international RL would be in a far worse state.

Well DHW, I am not sure where I used the word or term "steal" like you have claimed.

I am sure many players started playing in their home countries or were taught in the beginning by their fathers in the park.

Regardless, the advantage of Aus training players from other countries to play at a high level is that they play week on week in the NRL.

Until this year however, NRL clubs have restricted the opportunity for regular high profile fixtures between these nations because the players wouldn't be released mid season like they are for SOO and the ANZAC test. The snowball effect is that to get high profile fixtures, players from the pacific had to represent Aus or NZ.

so because there are Aussies playing for Italy and Ireland and whoever, don't kid yourself that the NRL/ARL have had a strong recent history in developing the international game.

#39 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

so because there are Aussies playing for Italy and Ireland and whoever, don't kid yourself that the NRL/ARL have had a strong recent history in developing the international game.

No... apart from inadvertedly being the main reason New Zealand is worth a damn as a league entity, while being the current world champions of the game. Apart from that, Australia have had no role in developing the international game.

People really ought to stop looking at the international game and international development in such a restrictive sense. The strength of the NRL has been responsible for major development of the international game in the southern hemisphere.

#40 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

People really ought to stop looking at the international game and international development in such a restrictive sense. The strength of the NRL has been responsible for major development of the international game in the southern hemisphere.

Please explain this point? 

1. What major development has there been to the international game in the southern hemisphere?

2. How is the NRL responsible?

I think you are trying to make a good point however. If it is that the NRL should be leading the charge for southern hemisphere and RFL or RLEF for northern hemisphere give or take a few anomalies then I agree. It's just a shame the NRL have done very little over the past 15 years in their neck of the woods 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users