Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Has Rugby League Improved since the early 70's

Phil Clarks point

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

there have been transfer bans haven't there? Did they make any difference?

edit: anyway that'll be the early seventies then if you check out GB's record against Australia.

There was a transfer ban which I think was only lifted in the early eighties. Though it tended not to apply to Kiwis.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

mid 70s working class Britain was a low point anyway wasnt it - not just RL

Illustrating a massive flaw in rugby league demography and culture: it's narrow class and income base: terrible. But if you think that was a did the only issue you are deluding yourself
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Illustrating a massive flaw in rugby league demography and culture: it's narrow class and income base: terrible. But if you think that was a did the only issue you are deluding yourself

That demography has also held us back in the sponsorship stakes. Fags and brewers in the past (back to brewers now) and loan sharks and gambling today.

Edited by Padge, 14 May 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#44 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

What else do you think it was then?

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Lack of ambition and a willingness to 'know its place' rather than break out if its northern working class shackles.

A destructive league structure frequently tinkered with to attempt to address the in built flaws that were causing that destruction

A willingness to embrace, even celebrate the stereotype that it represented giving the media an open goal

Bad leadership from the top. The appalling fallowield was replaced by the much better Oxley, and things improved but a lot of damage had been done and Oxley along with Howes still persisted with beer and fags

The way the sport was structured with clubs acting in their own narrow self interest

Lack of investment in even basically civilised facilities

Them wot tdays
Keeping it local

#46 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Impossible

Utter tosh. I watched the game for 30 years and the skills of players across the board have improved out of sight. Individuals have got stronger, faster and fitter

How are the latter an indication of the former?

#47 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Lack of ambition and a willingness to 'know its place' rather than break out if its northern working class shackles.

A destructive league structure frequently tinkered with to attempt to address the in built flaws that were causing that destruction

A willingness to embrace, even celebrate the stereotype that it represented giving the media an open goal

Bad leadership from the top. The appalling fallowield was replaced by the much better Oxley, and things improved but a lot of damage had been done and Oxley along with Howes still persisted with beer and fags

The way the sport was structured with clubs acting in their own narrow self interest

Lack of investment in even basically civilised facilities

Them wot tdays

Agree about some of those (not the league structure though surprise surprise!)

Mind -didnt RU have a John Player Trophy in the 70s?

#48 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

In two words, Bill Fallowfield - a mole from the RFU sent to destroy the game. Not only did he turn out at lock for Moortown RFC, he also tried to re-introduce the Union style ruck after the tackle.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#49 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Agree about some of those (not the league structure though surprise surprise!)

Mind -didnt RU have a John Player Trophy in the 70s?

What sport didn't have tobacco sponsorship once the government had banned TV advertising?  Union, Cricket, Snooker, Formula One, RL, I'm sure there are loads more.  It's said that when a Tory health minister tried to ban tobacco sponsorship of sport Denis Thatcher himself (a former Union ref) intervened to put a stop to the ban because Union were benefitting from John Player.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

In two words, Bill Fallowfield - a mole from the RFU sent to destroy the game. Not only did he turn out at lock for Moortown RFC, he also tried to re-introduce the Union style ruck after the tackle.

I was too young but Fallowfields time in charge sounds horrendous and indeed it does seem like he was an insider working to kill off RL.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#51 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Have you any more detail to share Trojan?  It's well before my time, and his Wiki entry gives me nothing to go on http://en.wikipedia....ill_Fallowfield

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,125 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

It was also Fallowfield's decision to abolish the Welsh national team, at a time when they were pretty decent.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

What sport didn't have tobacco sponsorship once the government had banned TV advertising?  Union, Cricket, Snooker, Formula One, RL, I'm sure there are loads more.  It's said that when a Tory health minister tried to ban tobacco sponsorship of sport Denis Thatcher himself (a former Union ref) intervened to put a stop to the ban because Union were benefitting from John Player.

it was a question of extent and dependence.

For much of the 70s  80s and beyond  rugby league was completely dependent on tobacco and alcohol sponsorship

not just the player' number 6/john player trophy , but the challenge cup-involving everal successive brands.

This was a measure ofthe narrowness of Rugby League's appeal to sponsors as much as the spread oftobacco and alcohol sponsorship.

Keeping it local

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

It was also Fallowfield's decision to abolish the Welsh national team, at a time when they were pretty decent.

he also scuppered the world cup,

Keeping it local

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Have you any more detail to share Trojan?  It's well before my time, and his Wiki entry gives me nothing to go on http://en.wikipedia....ill_Fallowfield

covered extensively in the writings of Tony Collins

Keeping it local

#56 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Interesting that the article quoted on the wikipedia pages say he introduced the limited tackle law. Isn't that something that RL fans see as a good thing?

Fides invicta triumphat

#57 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

covered extensively in the writings of Tony Collins

I must get round to reading more of his stuff.  I don't suppose you could tap out a very brief précis could you Frank?

Interesting that the article quoted on the wikipedia pages say he introduced the limited tackle law. Isn't that something that RL fans see as a good thing?

One swallow and all that I'd guess.  I don't mind a drop of Fanta from time to time etc.

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,528 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I must get round to reading more of his stuff.  I don't suppose you could tap out a very brief précis could you Frank?

One swallow and all that I'd guess.  I don't mind a drop of Fanta from time to time etc.

will do

Fallowfield didn't introduce it although it was done on his prolongued watch.

Limited tackles were introduced in Australia after St George had pretty much sewn up unlimited tackle rugby tactically season upon season.

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users