Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could you imagine the English/Scottish border being closed every day like this.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

http://www.wimp.com/indiapakistan/

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I didn't have sound on, I don't know if that made it better or worse! I don't understand the significance or meaning whatsoever, but I thought it was brilliant!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

I reckon JohnM would love it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

It's like a haka.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I reckon JohnM would love it.

Taxpayers Alliance would be furious though.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

If the beardie Pakistani soldier was pasty, white and ginger then it could easily have been a sketch from Monty Python on the England/Scotland border.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

That was brilliant. I loved the handshake at the end, as if the entire thing was purely staged for the cameras and no-one has died in Indian/Pakistani arguments over the years.

I think the Indian shouty guy's moustache was drawn on using a marker pen.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

That was brilliant. I loved the handshake at the end, as if the entire thing was purely staged for the cameras and no-one has died in Indian/Pakistani arguments over the years.

I think the Indian shouty guy's moustache was drawn on using a marker pen.

I found the handshake ironic simply because both countries regularly have border contact and the last skirmish in early January between the 6th and 15th saw two soldiers from each country getting killed.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Bunch of nobs

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Which one is Methven?

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

It's for the tourists though isn't it?  Should Scotland leave the Union and both nations remain in the EU then there'll be no difference to today will there? I've driven from Holland to Belgium to France, to Spain without ever seeing a border guard.  The buidlings where they used to be are still there in some places but there's no one in them.

Edited by Trojan, 11 May 2013 - 04:25 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Which one is Methven?

That's easy. Anyone who has seen me do the splits would recognise me as being the one who nearly takes his teeth out with his knee. And, conforming to cultural norms by sporting a kilt, I'd be sure to cause an enormous scandal south of the border!

The more interesting question, though, is which one is JohnM? A sensitive, but strutting right-winger, it has to be the front guy (with beard) at approx 1:15.  :D

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's for the tourists though isn't it?  Should Scotland leave the Union and both nations remain in the EU then there'll be no difference to today will there? I've driven from Holland to Belgium to France, to Spain without ever seeing a border guard.  The buidlings where they used to be are still there in some places but there's no one in them.

Of course. Why would an independent Scotland wish to have closed borders with its closest and oldest friend and ally? Why would such strong trading partners want to impose such disruptions to trade, when virtually the whole continent enjoys open borders? Does anyone know or care, for example, where the UK's border with (the Republic of) Ireland actually is on the ground?

And all because one small European nation may choose to govern itself?

Yet there seems to be a curious type of British nationalist who threatens these type of obstacles, almost as a punishment, should one small European nation choose to govern itself. Which does raise the question...

Besides, which: could you imagine anyone trying to ceremoniously shut the gates on the A74(M)/M6 interface?  :D

#14 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Of course. Why would an independent Scotland wish to have closed borders with its closest and oldest friend and ally? Why would such strong trading partners want to impose such disruptions to trade, when virtually the whole continent enjoys open borders? Does anyone know or care, for example, where the UK's border with (the Republic of) Ireland actually is on the ground?

And all because one small European nation may choose to govern itself?

Yet there seems to be a curious type of British nationalist who threatens these type of obstacles, almost as a punishment, should one small European nation choose to govern itself. Which does raise the question...

Besides, which: could you imagine anyone trying to ceremoniously shut the gates on the A74(M)/M6 interface?  :D

I've met one or two drunken Glaswegians. I wouldn't put anything past them! ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

I want to go there.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thinking about it overnight, perhaps a similar display involving a Highland regiment in kilts and full regalia confronting the Coldstream Guards at - say Berwick or Gretna would be a big draw for the tourtists.  They could play "Flower of Scotland"  at full volume :lol:

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#17 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thinking about it overnight, perhaps a similar display involving a Highland regiment in kilts and full regalia confronting the Coldstream Guards at - say Berwick or Gretna would be a big draw for the tourtists.  They could play "Flower of Scotland"  at full volume :lol:

Kilts versus Morris Men (with staves); much more fun.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Why not at Coldstream, on the bridge over the Tweed that separates the two countries?

Although the Morris Men vs be-kilted sword dancers would be good.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Why not at Coldstream, on the bridge over the Tweed that separates the two countries?

Although the Morris Men vs be-kilted sword dancers would be good.

No chance. It'll have to be at the Trent ... we're joining Scotland.

;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

That's easy. Anyone who has seen me do the splits would recognise me as being the one who nearly takes his teeth out with his knee. And, conforming to cultural norms by sporting a kilt, I'd be sure to cause an enormous scandal south of the border!

The more interesting question, though, is which one is JohnM? A sensitive, but strutting right-winger, it has to be the front guy (with beard) at approx 1:15. :D

As a centrist, it was in fact me that shot the video!