TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Des, was he actually in the wrong?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

looking at the mess were in now and the lack of playing ambition the club has this season, ive been thinking.

was Des actually wrong.

i think he was only doing what every other chairman in the league was doing its just he created a lot of interest via media which i think he enjoyed. He spoke out against the RFL which they wont have liked.

he did bring success to the team and brought star players like Catic, Rooney, Luisi, james and even before we were in the championship he signed big names at the time like weisner, smith and cassidy.

i just wonder if he hadnt have been investigated and had more support form people, where would the club be today.

the only thing he did wrong was to get caught out.

#2 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

The club was in a financial mess in 2011 and some bills had not been paid for a number of months. The club was heading for certain closure with bankrupcy if volunteers had not come forward to pull the club back together.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Quite a statement to suggest that every other chairman in the RFL was doing what Des was doing. if you believe that short term gain and success by methods that were contrary to the laws of the games, and indeed financial requirements is better than long term sustainablilty, then that's fine. I suspect you are in difficulty because of Mr J's actions, not despite them.

Edited by distantdog, 10 May 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#4 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

looking at the mess were in now and the lack of playing ambition the club has this season, ive been thinking.
was Des actually wrong.
i think he was only doing what every other chairman in the league was doing its just he created a lot of interest via media which i think he enjoyed. He spoke out against the RFL which they wont have liked.
he did bring success to the team and brought star players like Catic, Rooney, Luisi, james and even before we were in the championship he signed big names at the time like weisner, smith and cassidy.
i just wonder if he hadnt have been investigated and had more support form people, where would the club be today.
the only thing he did wrong was to get caught out.

Every other chairman payed there players and every other chairman doesn't gamble

#5 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

did we not struggle with a lack of effort in the latter stages of 2011?

Is our yo-yo success this season down to lack of effort or is it that the coahes in this league are of a higher quality than last season and can target the weaker areas of our game and defence with quality players? Heads tend to go down when teams run at certain areas and they can not stop them; the left side being an example of this.

I loved the Des era of our game and 2009 is something that can never be taken away from us, however it came at a cost that we are still paying today.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#6 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

did we not struggle with a lack of effort in the latter stages of 2011?

Is our yo-yo success this season down to lack of effort or is it that the coahes in this league are of a higher quality than last season and can target the weaker areas of our game and defence with quality players? Heads tend to go down when teams run at certain areas and they can not stop them; the left side being an example of this.

I think we're a very small side too, especially in the backs, we concede try's far too easily! Agree with what you've said there soss.

I loved the Des era of our game and 2009 is something that can never be taken away from us, however it came at a cost that we are still paying today.

Been a barrow fan for 25 years and 2009 was the best time I've known as a barrow fan, we were competitive and we humiliated teams such as the massacre of Leigh when coyle made his debut. Now I worry that's going to happen to us at certain teams

#7 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Every other chairman payed there players and every other chairman doesn't gamble

Can you confirm that?  :rolleyes:

#8 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

I agree with you Mike I loved the 2009 season and nobody can take those memories away but in retrospect what a cost. Was it worth the cost and the answer must be a very firm NO. In my view the Club must never again go down a similar road.

Posted Image

#9 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

if we weren't servicing dessie's debts we would be able to be more competitive this season 

#10 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

sorry , but the 2009 era was when the club cheated.so all memories are based on a lie.

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I agree. Looking back it was dishonest but we didn't know at the time. I hate cheats and dishonesty but there was no specific evidence of this in 2009. It's very easy to be wise afterwards.

Posted Image

#12 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

What do you mean you never knew? The whole town knew what was going on. Choosing to ignore it is not the same as not knowing

#13 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

So you knew in 2009 when we won the grand final did you?....no thought not

#14 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

So you honestly thought everything was legit?

#15 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yes i did in 2008/2009, am sure most supporters would agree, after that yeah fair enough, the cracks were appearing

#16 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

i think the majority of supporters knew that things were not quite right but thats history now and too be honest really  doesnt need bringing up again.but got to be honest they were cracking days out at castleford and the home game against wigan with a nigh on full stadium the atmosphere was superb but got to feel for the board of directors who have been left to pick up the pieces.salfords owner sums up what goes on at most clubs in what he said in a national newspaper( i will go above the salary cup and will just employ players wives at the club as cleaners and admin staff so its not just barrow it went on at.

Edited by fozzy3, 10 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#17 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

If I'm right ( tell me if I'm not ), the club is not in debt just because of 'DES'S ERA' at the club. I'm sure there is a statement on the forum saying the debt's the club has got is through mis-management over the years.

I really don't want to speak for GUS, but what I think he is trying to say, nearly every club is doing what we used to do, illegal or not. How can a club survive on 300-500 supporters and thats been generous. Something is going on and you would be nieve to think otherwise. I don't give a sh i t e what people said after the fact, We all went away and supported the club in the cup matches.

To be quite honest I only started going to the rugby again in 2008 because of all the hype the club you used to get. And still I'm going with my Wife and Daughter and my Son sometimes,.

People will know better than me but I'm sure the club has been through harder times.

If all the supporters who drink visit the the Raiders Bar or Outside Bar or the Food outlet an hour before the game instead of going to the pubs next door, the club would be a little better off.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#18 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

If I'm right ( tell me if I'm not ), the club is not in debt just because of 'DES'S ERA' at the club. I'm sure there is a statement on the forum saying the debt's the club has got is through mis-management over the years.

I really don't want to speak for GUS, but what I think he is trying to say, nearly every club is doing what we used to do, illegal or not. How can a club survive on 300-500 supporters and thats been generous. Something is going on and you would be nieve to think otherwise. I don't give a sh i t e what people said after the fact, We all went away and supported the club in the cup matches.

To be quite honest I only started going to the rugby again in 2008 because of all the hype the club you used to get. And still I'm going with my Wife and Daughter and my Son sometimes,.

People will know better than me but I'm sure the club has been through harder times.

If all the supporters who drink visit the the Raiders Bar or Outside Bar or the Food outlet an hour before the game instead of going to the pubs next door, the club would be a little better off.

thanks Livo, you kind of helped me back what i was trying to say up.

if were struggling financially and have crowds of around 1000 per home game, how do the teams with 300 survive.

also, the excuse of us being in cumbria cant be used as haven and worky are further out than us and surely must have higher players wages to pay than us and their crowds are lower than what we get.

this season has been strange, the only real big signing we have made is Kurt haggerty, who is class and i'm sure will be back in SL before long. BUT going back to the des era, we constantly made big signings, yeah a lot of these let us down, one of the biggest letdowns had to be Fletcher, in the team of the year for widnes in 2009, signs for us for the next season and was dump. BUT when he signed he was an exciting signing and signings like him created the buzz that des seemed to bring. success draws crowds and we certainly had decent crowd levels.

des also got barrow a lot of attention (which is what i believe was his downfall) articles in papers, interviews on boots and all, you dont see that happening much now with chairman of any club even SL sides.

i cant see us making any finals in the forseeable future as were just not good enough. unless we get relegated and make the championship 1 final next year (strong possibility). In the des days, i expected us to get to the finals, i even went to ST Helens and after about 20 mins i thought we had a chance ((a few too many probably helped that) but we did have some classy players then.

I think by not signing Brett Carter in the summer when we had the chance just about sums our ambition up. one of the best fullbacks outside of SL and a position were struggling to find someone to fill, campbells doing ok but hes not the answer.

#19 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Quite a statement to suggest that every other chairman in the RFL was doing what Des was doing. if you believe that short term gain and success by methods that were contrary to the laws of the games, and indeed financial requirements is better than long term sustainablilty, then that's fine. I suspect you are in difficulty because of Mr J's actions, not despite them.

i would agree that Mr J was not the main reason were financially in a mess.

Taking Batley as an example, if all things are legit there, it would be interesting how a couple of seasons ago, you managed to build a competetive squad and have a coach like Karl Harrison, all from crowds of around 700 which you get.

If all things are square there, then the business plan you must have in place will be pretty impressive.

#20 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

It always amazes me how Sheffield mangage also, on crowds of 700-1100, playing in a rented stadium and paying some quite high profile players !!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users