Changes in the ranks required me thinks

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm a season ticket holder and go to all of the games both home and away. I am a relatively new supporter of Hunslet and was pretty much a Rhinos fan until recently, but fully focussed on Hunslet now, especially as we have the dual reg players on board.

I wanted to make some points or at least get my opinion across. I know Darren Williams looks at this site and others too, but I hope what I say may help and he considers what is being said.

Hunslet on paper are a great team. If you look at the squad (with dual reg) you would say they had to be a top 5 team in the league. In reality they are pretty much fighting to survive relegation. We have lost to so many of the lower end teams and lost points on what should be our bread and butter games.

So whats going wrong.....Lets not blame Barry for the performances on the pitch its down to the players but I am getting increasingly frustrated with how things are panning out. Here are my thoughts and they are; a bit blunt so turn off now if you do not want to be offended.

I know money is an issue but.....

David March

- it has to be his last season please!! Such a liability, gives too many penalties away, too slow and not a good leader at all. Oh and over weight.

Grimshaw and Helliwel

l - is this the best we can do? Helliwell's kicking games is appaling. He never kicks any high bombs and is so easy to read. Both these players do not bring our outside backs in to the game at all and if I was a winger I wouldn't want to play at Hunslet as you would never see the ball. They don't play the set pieces correctly by using Watson as an attacker in the line and prefer to go alone all the time. Is there nobody else we can afford to bring in. I suppose Liam Sutcliffe from Rhinos U19s next season might be an option and we also may have missed a trick with Ollie Olds who has now gone to Australia. Ansell is not good enough either.

The Pack - generally

. A strong pack but where are the hand offs. Are they taught just to hang on to it and take the tackle? Richard Moore pretty much hands off at all his tackles and look at the impact he makes (especially at the Swinton game).

In summary we need a new half back pairing and need to drop David March now and put Hayley at Loose Forward, if we don't we will never progress.

#2 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Interesting comments. First of all welcome and good to see a new fan at Huns, we need them! I agree about our kicking as it does not scare the opposition. There are no bombs or 40/20s and we just give the ball back. I don't knock Hellewell though as he is improving each game and his tackling commitment is 100%. Grimmer has been off form but on his day is a match winner for us. The team as a whole should be winning more games there is no doubt but we have come a long way in the past couple of years. Let's not forget we could be Oldham right now! Let's go beat Worky next time out. SWSA.

#3 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Interesting comments. First of all welcome and good to see a new fan at Huns, we need them! I agree about our kicking as it does not scare the opposition. There are no bombs or 40/20s and we just give the ball back. I don't knock Hellewell though as he is improving each game and his tackling commitment is 100%. Grimmer has been off form but on his day is a match winner for us. The team as a whole should be winning more games there is no doubt but we have come a long way in the past couple of years. Let's not forget we could be Oldham right now! Let's go beat Worky next time out. SWSA.

Yes wasn't meant to sound neagative but more in frustration I guess.  A great team have a great half back pairing, we have a great team but not the results so it is for sure down to these two guess to raise the team.  Look at the class across the back line, get the ball to them as often as we can and they can damage any team in this league.  More bombs and more hand offs and less D March on the pitch and the job is done.

#4 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I agree with your comments.things need to change quickly or we will go down.don't rate our coaches and coaching, same problems every week. Seen as barry is head coach then he should take the majority of the blame

#5 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

So its Barry's fault the club can't afford the 50k it'd take to get Finn & Briggs? Heck someone like simon brown, who yes would be a massively improved kicking game but isn't much of a running threat or have the greatest passing game, would cost 10/15k

#6 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think helliwell is having a good season, he was our best player at workington by a country mile. Grimmers got bags of talent but just not got going yet but he will. We need oaksey back in the team. If hes been dropped for being a stone over weight then why is marchy getting a game????
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#7 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Players been told they are overweight, Marchy blowing out of his a***e is it a good idea having a players bbq on sunday?

#8 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Players been told they are overweight, Marchy blowing out of his a***e is it a good idea having a players bbq on sunday?

Get loads of salad.

#9 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Get loads of salad.

it won't get touched

#10 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

My point is we need to coach what we have got, cos on paper the squad is ok

#11 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm a season ticket holder and go to all of the games both home and away. I am a relatively new supporter of Hunslet and was pretty much a Rhinos fan until recently, but fully focussed on Hunslet now, especially as we have the dual reg players on board.

I wanted to make some points or at least get my opinion across. I know Darren Williams looks at this site and others too, but I hope what I say may help and he considers what is being said.

Hunslet on paper are a great team. If you look at the squad (with dual reg) you would say they had to be a top 5 team in the league. In reality they are pretty much fighting to survive relegation. We have lost to so many of the lower end teams and lost points on what should be our bread and butter games.

So whats going wrong.....Lets not blame Barry for the performances on the pitch its down to the players but I am getting increasingly frustrated with how things are panning out. Here are my thoughts and they are; a bit blunt so turn off now if you do not want to be offended.

I know money is an issue but.....

David March

- it has to be his last season please!! Such a liability, gives too many penalties away, too slow and not a good leader at all. Oh and over weight.

Grimshaw and Helliwel

l - is this the best we can do? Helliwell's kicking games is appaling. He never kicks any high bombs and is so easy to read. Both these players do not bring our outside backs in to the game at all and if I was a winger I wouldn't want to play at Hunslet as you would never see the ball. They don't play the set pieces correctly by using Watson as an attacker in the line and prefer to go alone all the time. Is there nobody else we can afford to bring in. I suppose Liam Sutcliffe from Rhinos U19s next season might be an option and we also may have missed a trick with Ollie Olds who has now gone to Australia. Ansell is not good enough either.

The Pack - generally

. A strong pack but where are the hand offs. Are they taught just to hang on to it and take the tackle? Richard Moore pretty much hands off at all his tackles and look at the impact he makes (especially at the Swinton game).

In summary we need a new half back pairing and need to drop David March now and put Hayley at Loose Forward, if we don't we will never progress.

wow guess ill be watching a different team next year  :(

chappy

#12 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Most of whats been said as already been mentioned by us regulars over the past few months. On paper we have one of the strongest squads in the Division and should finish in the top five.--- we should not have lost at Swiinton and Workington with the 17 players we fielded..

In Grimmer and Helliwell we have two of the best half backs in the Division.-- it should be remembered that Grimmer missed the whole of last season through injury, and hasn't got back to his usual sharpness yet. Helliwell is one of the most improved players at the club, even his goalkicking has improved. The rest of the squad should show his enthusiasm. In the backs we have plenty of pace with try poachers in Watson, Welham and Keinhorst, and the pack is one of the strongest we have fielded for a couple of seasons---  but at present we do not have a leader out on the field.

So having said  all that why is this squad not gelling together ?- 

#13 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

I can't understand this idea that we should be in the top 5, which of the current 'big five' are we supposed to displace? Fev, Halifax, Sheffield, Leigh, Batley?

One look at the league table tells you everything, the 'big five' as it were have opened up a gap on the rest, it will take some doing to break them up, and it won't happen overnight.

I don't think it's as bad as what people are making out, everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, we just need to be a bit smarter paricularly away from home, if we'd closed the games out properly at Batley & Worky we'd be two points better of for starters.

Fev, Halifax & Leigh away, hands up anyone who thought we'd win at any of those, no me neither.

We've beaten the newly promoted teams at home (and there's nothing to say we can't do the same to Workington).

We beat York which goes without saying ;)

I'd say we should have beaten Keighley & Swinton, as for Dewsbury well we never seem to beat them so I'd have settled for a point, especially considering their early season form.

Bearing all that in mind, are we really that far away from where we realistically expected? The aim was the top 8 and a play-off berth, that prospect is still very much alive and kicking.

Let's have a bit of optimism for a change and we still have every chance of a Northern Rail Cup run too, we have a one off game with no pressure and we'll be the underdogs (after last week particularly).

Enough of the doom and gloom!

We've swept the seas before boys!

Edited by morley-hawk, 11 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#14 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

wow guess ill be watching a different team next year :(

We might be able to squeeze you in at Batley Susan

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#15 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

We might be able to squeeze you in at Batley Susan

nice one  :)

chappy

#16 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Most of whats been said as already been mentioned by us regulars over the past few months. On paper we have one of the strongest squads in the Division and should finish in the top five.--- we should not have lost at Swiinton and Workington with the 17 players we fielded..

In Grimmer and Helliwell we have two of the best half backs in the Division.-- it should be remembered that Grimmer missed the whole of last season through injury, and hasn't got back to his usual sharpness yet. Helliwell is one of the most improved players at the club, even his goalkicking has improved. The rest of the squad should show his enthusiasm. In the backs we have plenty of pace with try poachers in Watson, Welham and Keinhorst, and the pack is one of the strongest we have fielded for a couple of seasons---  but at present we do not have a leader out on the field.

So having said  all that why is this squad not gelling together ?- 

Sorry what?! His qualities are under par in every part of his game for a top 5 Championship side.

Posted Image

#17 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Welcome to the forum Gazmeister, I see you cover much of the same ground as I did after the Workington match, but firstly, and at the risk of stating the obvious, if you've come from watching full-time players to watching part-time players, you must start by recognising that the quality is more uneven, the pace is slower and the mistakes are more frequent ... not that any of that means it is less exciting or entertaining to watch.

I think most of us suspect this will be March's last season. The games where is he is having a positive influence are getting fewer and farther between; the last really good 40 minutes he had this season was the second half at Featherstone, when we were staring at a big defeat at half-time but he was instrumental in turning us round and getting a respectable final score ... but that was two months ago. He has always given penalties away (and earned us a few as well) - imagine how many we conceded when Paul March was in the team as well! - but they were more than outweighed by their contributions to the scoreboard. Perhaps the tipping point has sadly gone the other way these days.

I guess it's true that someone watching Grimshaw for the first time this season might not regard him as one of our stand-out players. But you'll find very few supporters indeed who wouldn't have him in the team. The fact that he was almost a unanimous choice for player of the season in 2011 shows the talent and faith people have in him. It's been seen too rarely this season (the most recent glimpse was his superb solo try against Catalan in the Cup), in the meantime, we wait patiently ...

Helliwell is proving a real enigma. It's a case of 'how do you like your scrum-halves' and I guess most of us like them along the lines of Alex Murphy, Graham King or Rob Burrow - small, quick-thinking, nippy and a bit cheeky. Helliwell doesn't conform to that model and can often look a touch slow in mind and deed by comparison. But he does bring control and organisation, and together with Grimmer, one of the best defensive half-back combos in the division. Let no-one be under any illusions that one of the reasons we haven't had any real good hidings this season (apart from at Leigh when the halves were Ansell and Hughes) - and therefore the best points difference of all the bottom nine teams - is in part due to the work that this pair do in defence.

Their kicking games though ... that's a different subject. :rolleyes:

I could go on but I'd better get on with a bit of work now ... ;)

#18 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I think one thing we have all underestimated is that this is one tough division and there are absolutly no easy matches, i thought before the season started Barrow may have been out of their depth and were certs to be one of the 2 back down - not so, they have worked miracles up there and fair play to them.Doncaster have also done better than maybe many thought and as long as Cooke stays injury free could also stay up.York incredibly beat Fev but now seem to be on the slide, in Brown , Lee and Ford they have 3 very good players but after them lack quality.Swinton are up and down but like us can always beef up their squad with a few SL additions, both Cumbrian teams Worky and Haven have enough talent to win most at home so that leaves Keighley and Dewsbury who after a great start are back in the mix.To call the 2 for the trapdoor is nigh on impossible and im pretty sure its gonna go to the last minite of the last weekend, i just hope the 2 bonus points we threw away in the last plays of the Batley and Workington games aint gonna  put us into that last day mix.

The obvious thing we must do is to improve our kicking game on the 6 th tackle, we havent done a 40/20 all season even though weve had gale force winds behind us at Worky and nearly every home game plus the slopes at Batley and Fev and still never got anything near one.It beggers belief that our best kicking game all season came in the testimonial for Lowey when Barry came on and demonstrated the little banana slide kick over the top that the likes of Simon Brown, Patch Walker and Jamie Rooney can do with ease, surely its not rocket science for Hellewell or Marchy to learn this !As for Grimmer, the lack of a cutting edge at Worky and the way Lupton and Carter cut us apart show just how much we need him, hes not a kicker but still the most dangerous attacker we have plus the best defensive back we have.Without him , as seen at Worky we are in big trouble, with him we are top 6 material, thats an honest assesment.

Posted Image

#19 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Welcome to you Gazmeister.

The point you made on Grimshaw & Helliwell , yes this is our best combination for 6 and 7. Grimshaw's just lost a bit of form ,all good players do from time to time, but he will be back to his best, I am sure.

As for Helliwell this lads improved no end since he first joined us. Remember both players do an exceptional amount of tackling. I would not bring in anyone else in for these positions, no need.

Helliwell's goal kicking too has improved, but not his overall kicking game, which is poor. Pity one of our other players can't help out with the kicking game , as I think these two players have enough to do on the field.

#20 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

So everyone seems to think I have got it wrong with our 6 and 7.  I am open to change, but yet to see it.  So why is this team not gelling then? 

As mentioned before, I think we have a brilliant set of outside backs and FB.  The pack is quite good and big but dont hand off enough - and Mr March needs to be dropped and Hayley or someone similar step into LF positon.  Hookers are quality too, so dont feel as though we are failing there either.

I am just not getting it  - so feel as though it has to be our 6 and 7.  For sure they dont bring our wingers in, I would hate to be a winger in this team!!  We cannot wait for another 8 weeks to see if they come together, by then we will be looking at the relegation door. 

If I have got it wrong about these two then please tell me whats goig wrong as I am really unsure !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users