Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Koukash true to his word

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

One of the priorities of Dr Koukash on taking over Salford was to retain the young players from our own academy.

This is now starting to happen with both Sneyd and Evalds signing new deals both 2 year deals.

In the past we would have lost these players.

Since the takeover we have

replaced the board.

replaced the coaching set up

signed Griffin

tied up 2 of our young talent

Sent out 2 players that simply didn't fit the plans on loan for the season and received 2 better players in return.

It will take time but at least things are happening.

New thread just so Parky can't derail with the same ramblings as the 8 page one on the cap.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Do you see signing Darrell Griffin on reputedly over £100k per year as a positive step?  No wonder he wants to break the cap signing dross like him on that kind of money.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

New thread just so Parky can't derail with the same ramblings as the 8 page one on the cap.

I'll derail it instead then

I honestly thought you meant he'd just overspent on the cap :laugh:

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Crowds are à bit of worry though. Fans need to get behind the club

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,185 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Do you see signing Darrell Griffin on reputedly over £100k per year as a positive step?  No wonder he wants to break the cap signing dross like him on that kind of money.

I'm pretty confident that Griffin cannot command a salary like that.

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Griffin will be on nowhere near that kind of money.

Posted Image

#7 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Griffin will be on nowhere near that kind of money.

In a market woefully short of props, signing for a club completely cashed up and desperate for him?  He certainly isn't worth that kind of money.  I know Trinity started talks with him and walked away, and the issue was Koukash's skewing of the market.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 10 May 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

In a market woefully short of props, signing for a club completely cashed up and desperate for him?  He certainly isn't worth that kind of money.  I know Trinity started talks with him and walked away, and the issue was Koukash's skewing of the market.

I think he'd have got short shrift from Wakey fans if he'd come back to Trinity.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

New thread just so Parky can't derail with the same ramblings as the 8 page one on the cap.[/size]

New threads won't stop me posting a better class of rubbish than you post!!

#10 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'll derail it instead then

I honestly thought you meant he'd just overspent on the cap :laugh:

me to
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Sent out 2 players that simply didn't fit the plans on loan for the season and received 2 better players in return.

I'm having a senior moment, Howarth is one, who is t'other?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think RW has (perhaps) posted this to counter all those posters on here who claim that Dr Koukash is "all mouth and no trousers".

I know he wants "instant success", but some of you lot are even more impatient than he is. :O

Give him some time, he's only had 3 months in charge at the worst possible time of the year for signings. Patience is a virtue! :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#13 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Boyle

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Boyle

Of course, of course. Ta.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm having a senior moment, Howarth is one, who is t'other?

Not sure why Salford wanted Howarth, I nearly fell off my chair when Saints took him, and I thought my house would fall down when they played him in the halves.  I just don't see it with him as yet, although he'll no doubt be better for the experience he's got this year.

#16 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Lack of choice due to lack of money is the reason we signed many of our players

#17 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

One of the priorities of Dr Koukash on taking over Salford was to retain the young players from our own academy.

This is now starting to happen with both Sneyd and Evalds signing new deals both 2 year deals.

replaced the board.
signed Griffin

I'm both pleased "things are happening", and pleased to elevate this sinking thread to a higher place.

#18 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

I guess the next step is to increase the spend/quality of the academy system itself, to produce more of these guys and even attract rising talent from other clubs.

Depending on how the league structure vote goes there could well be more juniors looking to move out from relegation threatened clubs. I guess Salford want to ensure that they are in that spot comes the end of 2014, hence the overspending on marginal players?

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Simple solution to Salford's salary cap quandary is to simply allow Dr K to 'pay off' some of the dead wood he's been saddled with without it counting on the club's cap allowance.

To me, that isn't affecting the integrity of the comp, it's simply allowing a new investor to take the club forward without being saddled with the baggage of the previous administration's mismanagement for the next 2-3 years.

#20 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

replaced the board.
signed Griffin

All good stuff, Question for you, Are the locals sitting up and taking notice, are the home crowds rising ? hope so.