Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Possible restructure of the game?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wayneg

wayneg
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Super League and Championship clubs are set to vote on three new options for a proposed restructure of the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22488221

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Option 3 sounds interesting. 1 & 2 are the same or similar to whats gone before. The game needs a radical change to generate nore interest from sponsors and the public imo

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'd like 3 divisions:
Superleague (12 clubs)
Champ (12 clubs)
Champ1 (14 clubs)

I would allow 1 team promoted/relegated between each division every year. And as for adding Tolouse straight into super league is a joke they should start in championship 1 and have to earn promotions to get there.

I don't think over complicating the league structure will benefit the game. Keep it simple and allow teams to play everyone in their division twice and be in whichever division they should be in. It will add drama to the game and especially the teams at the bottom of SL will have more to play for.

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I'd like 3 divisions:
Superleague (12 clubs)
Champ (12 clubs)
Champ1 (14 clubs)

I would allow 1 team promoted/relegated between each division every year. And as for adding Tolouse straight into super league is a joke they should start in championship 1 and have to earn promotions to get there.

I don't think over complicating the league structure will benefit the game. Keep it simple and allow teams to play everyone in their division twice and be in whichever division they should be in. It will add drama to the game and especially the teams at the bottom of SL will have more to play for.

Can you run a Championship club, never mind SL, on just 11 home league games per season?

Other competitions (e.g. NRC) don't generate sufficient gates to be viable compared with league attendances. This is why the "complicated" SL 1 & 2 has been proposed.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't think having 2 divisions of 12 for 11 games and then splitting it into 3 divisions of 8 is a good idea.

The cups do generate a lot of funds for championship clubs as it is all pay. A good cup run can generate a considerable amount of funds.

#6 GoldDog

GoldDog
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

There will be three leagues, based on alphabetical order.

A-H

I-S

T-Z

After each team has played eachother 3 times, the competition will split into 6 mini leagues, with promotion and relegation allowed between these.

At the end of this competition, the top 2 teams from each league will be seeded and a play off system introduced, where:

1v7, 2v8, 3v9 etc.

The 6 winners of these games a then split geographically, with the 3 most westerly playing each other in a league format, and the three most easterly in a straight knock out. The winners of these two strands will then meet eachother in the Final, which will will be played at Bramall Lane at 8pm the day of the Autumn Equinox.

For the teams that didn't make the final cut, the will play in a 9 a side 'Super League', screened on Premier Sports on a Sunday morning, culminating in a Finals Day held at Ibrox on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Simple.

Edited by GoldDog, 11 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

There will be three leagues, based on alphabetical order.

A-H

I-S

T-Z

After each team has played eachother 3 times, the competition will split into 6 mini leagues, with promotion and relegation allowed between these.

:lol:  :lol:  D'ya know - that's not as complicated as it sounds. :rolleyes:

At the end of this competition, the top 2 teams from each league will be seeded and a play off system introduced, where:

1v7, 2v8, 3v9 etc.

The 6 winners of these games a then split geographically, with the 3 most westerly playing each other in a league format, and the three most easterly in a straight knock out. The winners of these two strands will then meet eachother in the Final, which will will be played at Bramall Lane at 8pm the day of the Autumn Equinox.

For the teams that didn't make the final cut, the will play in a 9 a side 'Super League', screened on Premier Sports on a Sunday morning, culminating in a Finals Day held at Ibrox on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Simple.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I don't think having 2 divisions of 12 for 11 games and then splitting it into 3 divisions of 8 is a good idea.

The cups do generate a lot of funds for championship clubs as it is all pay. A good cup run can generate a considerable amount of funds.

The cup competitions barely break even for most championship clubs. For every one that has a good run, three don't - the numbers don't add up to making a 12 team league viable.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Then how was the previous 10 team league viable? And only 9 currently in champ1?

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Then how was the previous 10 team league viable? And only 9 currently in champ1?

Good question. Maybe that's why they got rid of the 10 team league and why the C1 is already struggling.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Maybe but I still feel a straight forward league where we would play every team in our division home and away with prospects of promotion and relegation at the end based on merit is the right way forward.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Maybe but I still feel a straight forward league where we would play every team in our division home and away with prospects of promotion and relegation at the end based on merit is the right way forward.

Or backwards some would say. Franchising may be on its way out, we will wait and see, but I expect some minimum criteria will still be applied before any club could get promoted.

Remember the SL clubs have more votes and they're unlikely to vote for anything that might make them worse off, so we shouldn't hold our breath's waiting for something radical.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have a potential suggestion. I’m going to throw it out there. If you like it, great! If you don’t then just throw it straight back…

What do you reckon?

:)

Posted Image

#14 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have a potential suggestion. I’m going to throw it out there. If you like it, great! If you don’t then just throw it straight back…

What do you reckon?

:)

Thats ok,  but I would also like to see the promoted team get 1 season immunity from relegation,  meaning they could attract players on 2 year contracts

#15 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

The game needs to change thats for sure, particularly for clubs below super leahue, so any change for the better is good, however complicated it may seem.

Question is - if promotion and relegation come back and clubs like ours have a shot at making the top flight again one day, does anyone seriously think it will help boost attendances any more than have now? and will anything really change other than we can begin to dream one day we might have our shot at going up?

To me it only seems like it will benefit the team who bleat on year on year that they should be in super league - mentioning no names.

I just hope the powers that be dont start making it up as they go along again and set out a plan and stick to it, for a change.

Edited by buford t justice, 16 May 2013 - 12:56 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#16 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I think it will be good for all teams. If there was P&R and we were sitting in reach of promotion it would be something credible to shout about. It would be something that would help attract new fans to our club. Weather we actually ever get there is a different matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users