Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL statement: Policy Review update

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

The first round of the consultation process on the RFL’s Policy Review has been completed this week, with RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood providing updates at meetings of the Super League and Championships clubs and the Community Board. The RFL is taking a ‘whole game’ approach to the Policy Review which will conclude with the implementation of a long-term strategic plan that ensures the growth and good health of Rugby League at all levels. 

The Policy Review includes a number of options for league structures, with the aim of delivering the most compelling and sustainable competition framework for the whole sport. They include innovative new thinking about how to approach the restoration of promotion and relegation, within a framework of minimum facility and financial sustainability standards.

Wood said: “It was really important that we consulted directly with all parts of the game first as part of the Policy Review process. The interest already shown in these ideas has been very encouraging and I believe these new proposals will produce positive change and innovation across the whole sport.  I do believe that we need to create a pathway into Super League but it is essential that we are mindful of the challenges that a straight re-introduction of promotion and relegation between part-time and full-time leagues would create.

“Whilst there is a recognition that the time is right for change, we fully understand the need to avoid destabilising the excellent progress that has been made in recent years.  Consequently, addressing sustainable opportunities for clubs to progress has been at the forefront of our thinking and the reason why we have included a bold new approach to league structures within the Policy Review.

“There are a number of key principles that underpin the Policy Review and these include the ‘whole sport’ approach to the process; a proportional distribution of income across the sport; the continued geographic expansion of the game; a fresh approach to the talent development system; and a lighter touch regulatory environment, while maintaining minimum facility and financial sustainability standards.

“Inevitably much of the focus will centre around league structures but there will also be important initiatives in the areas of player production and community Rugby League. There is also a clear intention to have a more open sport with increased freedom of movement for players and clubs across all levels.

“I think it is important to find the best possible contests taking place at all levels which will both assist the development and retention of talent at club level and benefit our international competitiveness.  We cannot, and should not seek to engineer outcomes other than to provide an environment that allows well-run clubs the best chance of flourishing.”

In drawing up the proposals, Wood and the RFL Executive have gained additional insight from commissioned research by sports industry financial experts KPMG, who have assessed the likely impact of how different league structure models operate across a range of sporting environments.  The RFL will now undertake further consultation, which will see the game as a whole debating the options and agreeing the way forward. 

Wood added: “The process so far has been very encouraging and the positive approach being taken is a demonstration of how Rugby League has always looked to innovate and develop throughout its history. I look forward to further detailed discussions with people across the game as we finalise our proposals in the weeks ahead.”  

The consultation process is expected to continue throughout the summer with any recommendations being voted upon later in the year. Any changes to league structure or licensing can only be implemented after the 2014 season following the expiry of the current licence terms.

-ends-

John Ledger

Communications Manager

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Paragraph 2 seems to spell the death knell to those posters on here who constantly advocate for the "no p and r ever to SL" refrain.

Their worst fears have been or apparently are about to be realized.

It's just a pity it took so long for the game to come to it's senses.

I wonder how Catalans or maybe Toulouse will be fitted into a p and r set up.

#3 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Five home Five away, then the magic weekend, then we split, its beginning to take shape, round 11 will be on neutral ground ideal for the local derbies.

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Paragraph 2 seems to spell the death knell to those posters on here who constantly advocate for the "no p and r ever to SL" refrain.

Their worst fears have been or apparently are about to be realized.

It's just a pity it took so long for the game to come to it's senses.

I wonder how Catalans or maybe Toulouse will be fitted into a p and r set up.

Personally I think it has been necessary for the game to have a stabilising period to up standards at clubs. No doubt about it, more clubs are better run now than previous to licensing began in 2008 in both the SL and the Championships.
Posted Image

#5 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Personally I think it has been necessary for the game to have a stabilising period to up standards at clubs. No doubt about it, more clubs are better run now than previous to licensing began in 2008 in both the SL and the Championships.

I think it says somewhere in one of the many reports that are now circulating that, they are mindful of all the good work that as gone on at club level, and that they do not want to undermine that work, I think it was referring to funding of the lower divisions.

#6 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

As long as the smaller clubs don't drag the progressive team down with them then RL will be OK.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

As long as the smaller clubs don't drag the progressive team down with them then RL will be OK.

As long as the bigger clubs don't kill the game by hogging everything for their own narrow ambitions and look at the health of the whole game, RL will be ok,

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I just hope it becomes reality and not just a proposal.
I'm not counting any chockens yet, but cautious optimism I can't hide!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#9 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I just hope it becomes reality and not just a proposal.
I'm not counting any chockens yet, but cautious optimism I can't hide!

Chocken whats a chocken lol.

Which would be your prefered option Robin?

#10 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

My prefered option would be the two 12's with one up/down, though I'm open to some flexibility.
P&R as a concept I believe is right and fair. As long as that's part of the equation I could live with any of them... but as you asked which, id go option one.
Quite giddy about this.

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,441 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

ah yes

rightness and fairness: important principles.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

As long as the bigger clubs don't kill the game by hogging everything for their own narrow ambitions

Th SKY contract insisted a small elite got all the money for gawd's sake.

Work on the actual facts.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

That's a big ask!

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Just so long as these proposals do not amount to re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The job is to make it watertight so it can continue it's great voyage to the promised land.

The process and progress so far seems promising and Woods and his team are to be congratulated. The least he deserves is an apology from those on here who have indulged in personal abuse.

A possible and pointless regression to single season points based p and r may be just a sop, though, and enter end, the market will decide

Edited by JohnM, 12 May 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#15 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Just so long as these proposals do not amount to re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The job is to make it watertight so it can continue it's great voyage to the promised land.

The process and progress so far seems promising and Woods and his team are to be congratulated. The least he deserves is an apology from those on here who have indulged in personal abuse.

A possible and pointless regression to single season points based p and r may be just a sop, though, and enter end, the market will decide

Well aye it will john. As I suppose it would in whatever guise the league format remains.
I'm looking forrad to see how this pans out. Of course, I suppose all three options could be rejected and the status quo remain.

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Th SKY contract insisted a small elite got all the money for gawd's sake.

Work on the actual facts.

Firstly, define small. It keeps changing.

Secondly. It doesn't seem that the RFL agree with your view going from the initital statement we are discussing.

This must be a real downer for you SL apologists when what you have decried as being impractical, unworkable and never to return is being actively promoted under three different options no less.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Standards-based P&R would seem to be the direction of travel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some further development of the idea of a rugby league pyramid beneath the professional/semi professional game. With certain caveats both these are things which should be beneficial.

If they can pull it off and keep all of the myriad committees and fiefdoms onside, and prevent short termist boom n bust implosions I'll be very impressed indeed.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users