Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

VP Evening

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Anyone attend the VP meeting last night?    Was it a good evening as usual?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 pensioner

pensioner
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Another excellent evening Keith, Denis Betts was an excellent speaker and an absolute gentleman who had time for everyone.

#3 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

If Widnes do beat us tomorrow, i for one hope they go on and win the cup.

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

This has been a model of how a link up SHOULD work .

#5 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Sounds like I missed a good night. Had planned on going but unfortunately had to cover a night shift at work.. :(

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#6 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Yes KEITH another good evening,good to meet Dennis as he is a very down to earth genuine Guy.And i think he made everyone feel we have made a real good partner ship.BY the way BOBG if TOWN beat WIDNES tomorrow i for one hope we go on and win the CUP HA HA.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Beat Widnes , get Sheffield at home ... Quids in !!! And the BBC will have to put us on telly , they'll love that !!

#8 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

That goes without saying for me too Abu. Really looking forward to the match tomorrow.

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

win tomorrow, get london at home(as good as a bye), easy, eagles to cause an upset at home to hull, town vs eagles semi followed by a town vs wigan final for the biggest giant killing in history, a hollywood movie about the improbable underdog story.........
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

More evidence today that the jobs worth who decided punching should be an automatic red should be sacked from the RFL with immediate effect . Stop over sanitising the game we've had for 100 years !!!

#11 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

More evidence today that the jobs worth who decided punching should be an automatic red should be sacked from the RFL with immediate effect . Stop over sanitising the game we've had for 100 years !!!

I' disagree David. if you unload 3 punches to someones head who isn't throwing them back then it has to be red !!!

#12 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I' disagree David. if you unload 3 punches to someones head who isn't throwing them back then it has to be red !!!

#13 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have to agree that the game is being over sanitised. If two props want to stand toe to toe and trade punches then let them get on with it then get on with the game. But I also agree that if a player repeatedly punches an opponent who isn't fighting back then that player should see a red card. Can I remember an incident years ago where Carter from down Barrow way stood with his hands by his side while being set upon by a player (might have been the Keighley hooker, can't remember his name) who was subsequently shown red.

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yes I qualify my remarks and agree with both of you , I commented straight away before digesting that individual instance clearly and seeing it again this morning . A good bit of equal humpty is part of the game and the attraction and is all part of the battle of physical dominance , but sheer one sided illdiscipline and thuggery is different . I do see a difference though between repeated one sided punches and a single punch . No way should one punch be an automatic straight red. it should be up to the discretion of the ref as he sees it - the conmon sense and referees discretion has been taken away .Uncontrolled numbers then OK . One single loss of momentary control , keep the yellow or caution option open as well as red determining on the cause and effect of the punch . Refs are shackled by on high and can't make their own decisions ! It's a physical , testosterone fuelled game , let it be managed with common sense on the day and not with broad brush central directives .

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#15 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I have to agree that the game is being over sanitised. If two props want to stand toe to toe and trade punches then let them get on with it then get on with the game. But I also agree that if a player repeatedly punches an opponent who isn't fighting back then that player should see a red card. Can I remember an incident years ago where Carter from down Barrow way stood with his hands by his side while being set upon by a player (might have been the Keighley hooker, can't remember his name) who was subsequently shown red.

It was Paul Penrice not Darren Carter. The Keighley player was Wayne Race.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#16 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

There's been a lot of strongbow flowed under the bridge since then Mark I did well just remembering it was Town and Keighley ha ha

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Been a few ding dongs between town n Keighley players ! The year we won the double and did them home n away there were a couple of notable ones !!

#18 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Been a few ding dongs between town n Keighley players ! The year we won the double and did them home n away there were a couple of notable ones !!

Brendan Hill v James Pickering at Cougar Park was a real clash of the titans !

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

There's been a lot of strongbow flowed under the bridge since then Mark I did well just remembering it was Town and Keighley ha ha

True mate, I think you were quaffing wine and soda by the bucket load in those days !

#20 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

What about Big Jimmy sitting on top of Andy Eyres (?) at DP and punching away. Ah memories..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users