Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How Danny Brough is not the starting England scrum half is beyond me

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Playing for Scotland should not and will not affect Brough at all so I wish people would stop bringing that one up.

It should.  Surely you should be proud to play for your country.  It always made me laugh when Cunningham and Harris played for Wales, despite being English, but fair play to them both at least they nailed their colours on properly.

Oh and Chase's selection has always been ridiculous, both on his ability to play in a TEAM, and also because he's as English as Mal Meninga.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 12 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

This is spot on. Sinfield was awful yesterday in the cup game. Added to that I hate the way they're using Eorl Crabtree in the PR and adverts etc., thus also guaranteeing his place in the cut down squad. His ability and impact in games is hardly on a par with that of any of the Burgess brothers.

Disagree with the Crabtree comment completely. He's been on absolute fire this season. Didn't he play 70 minutes against Leeds yesterday?

He's been the best prop in the competition this season. When he played the Aussies last time he caused them lots of problems. Just because he doesn't play NRL doesn't mean he won't have a good as impact as the Burgess brothers. He'd be given the number 10 shirt in my England team with Graham at 8, S Burgess at 13 and G Burgess coming off the bench.

#43 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Added to that I hate the way they're using Eorl Crabtree in the PR and adverts etc., thus also guaranteeing his place in the cut down squad.  His ability and impact in games is hardly on a par with that of any of the Burgess brothers.

I don't think Crabtree's ability and impact is quite on a par with the likes of Sam and George Burgess but I would suggest that, on both counts, he is more than on a par with the likes of Chris Heighington - a player of lesser ability who some on here would like to be selected for the England World Cup squad. England can have the Burgesses and Crabtree...

I also think that the best rugby league players are as deserving of "PR and adverts" as those individuals from sundry other sports - our players, especially in this World Cup year, have more than earned their time in the sun.

#44 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Must admit I was trying to work that one out, I can only remember Sinfield playing for Leeds and never Scotland.

I have to presume you are talking about Danny Brough of old? Did you not see bailey trying to wind up Broughy yesterday by patting him on his head when he made a mistake? Broughy just laughed at the dopey fool!!

A man that has been a multiple clubs and has had trouble at all of them, and who is possibly the most easily wound up person in rugby league, one who pretty much no self control and constantly bleats at officials, no thanks.

Allied to the fact that he's played for Scotland.

#45 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,563 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

It should. Surely you should be proud to play for your country.

It shouldn't because it's not applied to other players. Whether you think it is immoral is irrelevant.

And playing for two different countries doesn't affect how proud he is to play for either of them.

A player should never be shut out because he is doing what other players are allowed to do, especially other players selected in the same squad.
Posted Image

#46 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Must admit I was trying to work that one out, I can only remember Sinfield playing for Leeds and never Scotland.
I have to presume you are talking about Danny Brough of old? Did you not see bailey trying to wind up Broughy yesterday by patting him on his head when he made a mistake? Broughy just laughed at the dopey fool!!

His brother played for Scotland. Is that grounds enough to drop him?

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

It would be interesting to have a poll of S/L coaches to choose Englands halfback combination. Don`t think many would prefer Chase/Sinfield.

Especially France coach Richard Agar's choices!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Wow anyone saying Crabtree doesn't have the require impact and influence on a game didn't watch yesterday - and can't see past the giants of 10 years ago

Crabtree has been monstrous this season, last season he was carrying the giants pack alone and now he doesn't have to do it all alone he is being immense

#49 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Wow anyone saying Crabtree doesn't have the require impact and influence on a game didn't watch yesterday - and can't see past the giants of 10 years ago

Crabtree has been monstrous this season, last season he was carrying the giants pack alone and now he doesn't have to do it all alone he is being immense

I loved the way he gave Hardaker the easiest possible position to tackle him instead of running over him.  Wow.

#50 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

I loved the way he gave Hardaker the easiest possible position to tackle him instead of running over him. Wow.

I guess you missed the 40+ tackles in the game and the endless metres he made. Not to mention the 70 minute shift he put in. Then again most prop forwards performances are judged on the one time they break the line rather than the amount of metres and tackles they get through, obviously.

#51 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

I guess you missed the 40+ tackles in the game and the endless metres he made. Not to mention the 70 minute shift he put in. Then again most prop forwards performances are judged on the one time they break the line rather than the amount of metres and tackles they get through, obviously.

He does have a point,Crabtree really should have scored that try.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#52 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

If you get any further up his backside you'll start being accused of being James Deighton.  Crabtree has never really done it for me, he's a freak physically but he doesn't seem to dominate or intimidate the opposition as he should.

#53 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you get any further up his backside you'll start being accused of being James Deighton. Crabtree has never really done it for me, he's a freak physically but he doesn't seem to dominate or intimidate the opposition as he should.

Not being up his backside just having a realistic opinion.

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Not being up his backside just having a realistic opinion.

Not in my opinion.

#55 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

He does have a point,Crabtree really should have scored that try.

But does that mean Crabtree didn't play exceptionally well?

#56 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

But does that mean Crabtree didn't play exceptionally well?

Not at all,his point was that he gave Hardaker a a chance to tackle him,thus saving a try.Most props would have just ran over the top of the defender.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#57 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yeah he really should have done better

But let's also credit Hardacre for getting that tackle spot on

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,563 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I loved the way he gave Hardaker the easiest possible position to tackle him instead of running over him. Wow.

Goes to show that anyone that wants to portray someone negatively will look at the one thing they do wrong against the tonnes of things they do right.
Posted Image

#59 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Brough's kicking game (relative to other England qualified half backs) is anywhere between average and brilliant.
Most England half backs kicking games are average - and thats the difference McNamara can't see. Too often we are on the back foot internationally due to our kicking game.
Sinfield is probably 2nd best but not as good as Brough, and a fair way off Brough as far as long-range kicking goes. And in internationals when you have backs to the wall, the long-range kicking game is key.
Mylers kicking game is non-existent, he's an Edwards-type support player. Depends what England need as a team.
Seems like Brough and Widdop to me, but Sinfield is the designated captain.........

Couldn't agree more.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#60 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Not at all,his point was that he gave Hardaker a a chance to tackle him,thus saving a try.Most props would have just ran over the top of the defender.

Agreed. It reminded me very much of the 2010 cup final when Bailey managed to get himself stopped by Mathers despite being one-on-one a metre out.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users