Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Results 11th May

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Explain please

Because theyve played one game at MSM due to the regular venue being booked for the half marathon and neither Hillsborough or Chargers can offer the length of summer season the players desire.

#22 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Explain please

Wages paid by the RFL :rolleyes:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Because theyve played one game at MSM due to the regular venue being booked for the half marathon and neither Hillsborough or Chargers can offer the length of summer season the players desire.

That's not completely true, many of the guys playing are involved with BARLA clubs and prefer winter, what these guys are being offered is the chance to be in the shop window (so they are lead to believe) but in reality they are just another lump of meat being used to prop up a system that is hoping that a star will appear one day.

#24 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I noticed on Saturday that the Eagles seem to have had an issue with their kit supplier as they have messed the logo up and completely missed off the word 'Hallam'.

Best side we've played for a while. They'll walk this league with that side out.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#25 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

I noticed on Saturday that the Eagles seem to have had an issue with their kit supplier as they have messed the logo up and completely missed off the word 'Hallam'.

Best side we've played for a while. They'll walk this league with that side out.

Maybe their saving money on the stitching to free up funds for development.

#26 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

It seems that nobody has any time for what the Eagles are doing, which I think is a bit disappointing.<br /><br />The Eagles clearly stated when they decided to enter Conference League South that they were doing it for the following reasons:<br /><br />1. To play in a League they believed would offer the right standard of rugby for their pathway players, following the demise of the U23s. They believed it would be a much better tool for developing players than the U20s.<br /><br />2. To continue their partnership with Sheffield-Hallam University and offer a higher standard of RL for Hallam Uni players, some of whom are in the Eagles pathway<br /><br />3. To support Tier 3 Rugby League outside of the "heartlands", which the NCL is only paying lip service to (E.G Coventry and Peterlee in NCL3)<br /><br />4. To play in an "open" league that offers a higher standard of Rugby League for aspiring and talented players, something which otherwise would not exist for clubs such as Bristol, St Albans, Northampton, Leciester etc if it weren't for the formation of Conference League South (Nottingham were of course offered a place in the NCL).<br /><br />You may disagree with their reasons for doing this, but they didn't enter this cynically - they saw it as a great League to be involved with and to give game time to students and players in their performance pathway. They were honest about it from the start.<br /><br />I've been keeping track of who has been playing for them, and a fair chunk of the side are Hallam students with no previous connections to the Eagles. In fact, for the first few weeks of the season their best players were the Hallam lads - some of the Eagles contracted youngsters were the poorest performers. Since then they've added one or two BARLA players (or so I hear) which has undoubtedly made them stronger, but it's their choice.<br /><br />I feel like we're going to get some criticism as well for using players dual-registered with the All Golds. This was something we discussed at great length as a club, and we decided that in the long run it made complete sense for RL in our neck of the woods. There is now a distinct pathway in place in the West of England, which takes in:<br /><br />Junior RL (Bristol and Gloucestershire - U14, U16)<br />South Gloucestershire &amp; Stroud College RL Academy - U20<br />All Golds U20s<br />Student RL (All Golds, Bristol Uni, UWE, Bath Uni)<br />Tier 4 West of England League clubs (Glos Warriors, Cheltenham Old Pats, Swindon, Sonics 2nds)<br />Tier 3 Southern Conference - Bristol Sonics<br />Championship 1 - All Golds<br />Super League - Leeds Rhinos (through partnership with All Golds/South West region)<br /><br />This is a huge step forward for RL in this neck of the woods, and as a pathway it makes perfect sense. The partneship we have with the All Golds allows dual registration of players, but it goes both ways - for example, someone who started the season with the Sonics recently signed 'dual reg' forms and appeared for the All Golds against Gateshead. We've had some players come down from Gloucester to appear for us in CL3, too, but the vast majority of our players have no links with the All Golds. We have some new players from the student sides in the area and local union, but most of our first team sqsquad has been with us for a number of years. Isn't that how it should be?<br /><br />We could have buried our heads in the sand and refused to deal with the All Golds, but what good would that have done? It's important for RL in this region that there is a strong pathway. It will only get stronger in future, and one day the All Golds might decide to 'partner' up with a club closer to Cheltenham. If they do, that's their call - as long as we continue to develop as a club, offer opportunities for players to play in a league that suits their standards (and that means having Tier 4, Tier 3 and Masters in my opinion), and push forward with junior development (absolutely key in the long run, not just for us but the All Golds, too), then we'll be doing our job.<br /><br />
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#27 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

if your not playing rugby In the heartlands of the game in 6 inches of mud and sh-- , then its not proper rugby league and you should stop playing . BARLA/RFL most people don't understand or care , great to see people playing the game in well run leagues far away from the games heartlands

It seems that nobody has any time for what the Eagles are doing, which I think is a bit disappointing.<br /><br />The Eagles clearly stated when they decided to enter Conference League South that they were doing it for the following reasons:<br /><br />1. To play in a League they believed would offer the right standard of rugby for their pathway players, following the demise of the U23s. They believed it would be a much better tool for developing players than the U20s.<br /><br />2. To continue their partnership with Sheffield-Hallam University and offer a higher standard of RL for Hallam Uni players, some of whom are in the Eagles pathway<br /><br />3. To support Tier 3 Rugby League outside of the "heartlands", which the NCL is only paying lip service to (E.G Coventry and Peterlee in NCL3)<br /><br />4. To play in an "open" league that offers a higher standard of Rugby League for aspiring and talented players, something which otherwise would not exist for clubs such as Bristol, St Albans, Northampton, Leciester etc if it weren't for the formation of Conference League South (Nottingham were of course offered a place in the NCL).<br /><br />You may disagree with their reasons for doing this, but they didn't enter this cynically - they saw it as a great League to be involved with and to give game time to students and players in their performance pathway. They were honest about it from the start.<br /><br />I've been keeping track of who has been playing for them, and a fair chunk of the side are Hallam students with no previous connections to the Eagles. In fact, for the first few weeks of the season their best players were the Hallam lads - some of the Eagles contracted youngsters were the poorest performers. Since then they've added one or two BARLA players (or so I hear) which has undoubtedly made them stronger, but it's their choice.<br /><br />I feel like we're going to get some criticism as well for using players dual-registered with the All Golds. This was something we discussed at great length as a club, and we decided that in the long run it made complete sense for RL in our neck of the woods. There is now a distinct pathway in place in the West of England, which takes in:<br /><br />Junior RL (Bristol and Gloucestershire - U14, U16)<br />South Gloucestershire &amp; Stroud College RL Academy - U20<br />All Golds U20s<br />Student RL (All Golds, Bristol Uni, UWE, Bath Uni)<br />Tier 4 West of England League clubs (Glos Warriors, Cheltenham Old Pats, Swindon, Sonics 2nds)<br />Tier 3 Southern Conference - Bristol Sonics<br />Championship 1 - All Golds<br />Super League - Leeds Rhinos (through partnership with All Golds/South West region)<br /><br />This is a huge step forward for RL in this neck of the woods, and as a pathway it makes perfect sense. The partneship we have with the All Golds allows dual registration of players, but it goes both ways - for example, someone who started the season with the Sonics recently signed 'dual reg' forms and appeared for the All Golds against Gateshead. We've had some players come down from Gloucester to appear for us in CL3, too, but the vast majority of our players have no links with the All Golds. We have some new players from the student sides in the area and local union, but most of our first team sqsquad has been with us for a number of years. Isn't that how it should be?<br /><br />We could have buried our heads in the sand and refused to deal with the All Golds, but what good would that have done? It's important for RL in this region that there is a strong pathway. It will only get stronger in future, and one day the All Golds might decide to 'partner' up with a club closer to Cheltenham. If they do, that's their call - as long as we continue to develop as a club, offer opportunities for players to play in a league that suits their standards (and that means having Tier 4, Tier 3 and Masters in my opinion), and push forward with junior development (absolutely key in the long run, not just for us but the All Golds, too), then we'll be doing our job.<br /><br />

#28 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

The difference between the Bristol Sheffield situations is the standard at the clubs they are duel registered with.
There's a bit of a gap in the tables between the Eagles and the All Golds.
Did they enter in good faith or did they get invited to give the league an extra team and an air of a legitimate competition
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Would you put Queens in division 7 of the Pennine league?

We all understand that it's not Sheffield's fault, it's a problem caused by the RFL, do you believe their present policies are good for the development of the game.

#30 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I was told that at the pre season meeting at Hemel, after some reservations were aired about having teams in this league which had dual registered players, that some sort of 'verbal agreement' was given by the clubs involved that they would only play two or three dual reg players in any one game.  Is this being done? 

I went to the Northampton-Leicester game on Saturday and some of the talk was that this league with its dual reg teams is definitely not helping development of the game at the 'single' clubs.  You have to wonder, with the hope that  more clubs would join over the next couple of years, does this league at the moment look like an attractive one to join for other 'stand alone' clubs?

#31 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

I was told that at the pre season meeting at Hemel, after some reservations were aired about having teams in this league which had dual registered players, that some sort of 'verbal agreement' was given by the clubs involved that they would only play two or three dual reg players in any one game.  Is this being done? 

I went to the Northampton-Leicester game on Saturday and some of the talk was that this league with its dual reg teams is definitely not helping development of the game at the 'single' clubs.  You have to wonder, with the hope that  more clubs would join over the next couple of years, does this league at the moment look like an attractive one to join for other 'stand alone' clubs?

I could be wrong (Sure Tim will know better) but I don't think Sheffield had one dual reg player playing on Saturday, the team was made up with many guys who play in the BARLA Pennine league.

#32 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure they had at least 3 who are signed on the books. One of them is a former Chargers player. However these guys are still relatively young and are also not the "first choice replacements" within the first team squad, although I think they have all had a run out at that level, with Corey Hanson being the most experienced in terms of appearances.

Here's the list of players as per the Eagles web site:

http://www.sheffield...=699&Itemid=560

If you look at the First Team Page, you'll see some of the same names marked as "Elite squad" - these, I think, are the signed pros that will also play for Hallam Eagles. Eddie Battye has currently been elevated to the first team following Jack Howieson's retirement and Liam Higgins' injury.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#33 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm pretty sure they had at least 3 who are signed on the books. One of them is a former Chargers player. However these guys are still relatively young and are also not the "first choice replacements" within the first team squad, although I think they have all had a run out at that level, with Corey Hanson being the most experienced in terms of appearances.

If you look at the First Team Page, you'll see some of the same names marked as "Elite squad" - these, I think, are the signed pros that will also play for Hallam Eagles. Eddie Battye has currently been elevated to the first team following Jack Howieson's retirement and Liam Higgins' injury.

I was chatting to Corey after the first game of the season, and he pointed out that I think there were three Hallam Eagles regulars with first team experience of some sort, or possibly four - him, Connor Scott, the other prop whose name I forget and one other - though he was the only one to play a meaningful match (the others played in friendlies). This may have changed, but for the most part they're youngsters - talented youngsters, but not exactly Championship first-teamers. In the first game of the season the best player was Lee Sanders (ex Chargers) - he was superb. How old is he? Student age, I'm guessing. The worst player on the Sheffield side was arguably Corey Hanson, who is the most experienced player. It doesn't always follow that a team's best players are the ones with the most pro experience. Many of the Hallam students have no experience at a higher level, but in a team like Sheffield-Hallam they more than hold their own.

There are tons of players in the NCL and around BARLA who may have been in academies or on pro contracts at some point. Should they not play? For the most part we're talking about amateurs with part-time contracts, some of whom may not get paid very much at all. You could argue that it's too high a standard for Conference League South, but surely the whole point of a Tier 3 league is to have higher standards? I know my brother, who plays at Leicester, doesn't mind the fact that he's facing 'dual reg' players - he sees it as a challenge.

In terms of the league itself, there were mismatches last year in CL3, and there were mismatches in NL3 before that. It doesn't mean we should just abandon it. Bear in mind that we were rapidly improving last year without any dual reg players, as we got up to the standard required. I'd expect the same to happen with other teams this year.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#34 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Liam looked injured Saturday night :blink:

#35 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

In the first game of the season the best player was Lee Sanders (ex Chargers) - he was superb. How old is he?

21 I reckon - he started as an U16 with us in 2008. As a prop, he still has a few years of development ahead. Actually, he played at 6 for us and kicked loads of goals. Good all round footballer with a very, very good attitude.

#36 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I hate duel registration, I really do. I see it as one of the biggest cancers of the game and a damning indictment of the regime of Rimmer and Wood. DR is to me as big a long term problem as the Vichy government. For too long we've had to listen to self serving men spout lies as the drag the game to the brink of disaster.

Back in the 90's I remember going to watch Keighley's A team, depending who was playing you would easily see 600 - 800 people at a time. Look at what has happend since then, it's sickening.

Returning to Sheffield. I've personally no issue with them. Are they playing below their standard? Yes. I that their fault? No. If you're going to blame anyone blame the RFL or the person who thought that the midlands / south of England was at the same standard to a professional clubs second team with genuine Superleague aspirations. Who's going to take responsibility for that one? Northampton were told by the RFL that they should leave the Midlands Premier as they were "damaging Rugby league in the midlands." This league was a last chance to push on.

Lets also get the other facts straight. This isn't a university team, it is definitely not the side that has been beat twice this year by Leeds met 2nds or had 62 points put on them by Newcastle. The Demons have a former Eagles reserve grader in their side, he knew all but 4 of the lads that smashed us and I refuse to believe that even a much changed Demons outfit would get beat by 60 points by a student side outside the super 6.

If we're taking about development lets look at the other side of the coin. Conference south is damaging the eagles right now. Scoring an average of 50 points per game is not helping their development, is this Conference Souths fault? No, is it the RFLs for not providing adequate playing options in the pro game? Yes. As I've mentioned previously a championship one standard player in this division is worth at least 10 extra points to a side, add in 4/5 and hey presto you've got your 50 point win.

So what goes from here? Do the Hallem Eagles get promoted should they win the league? No. Is there any point of the playoffs for the team that comes 4th and has to go play them? Not really. I'm sure their is an answer ready and waiting by one of the few salaried members of the RFL left in the area but in reality we have to face facts National Conference South is the unwanted child of RL right now.

#37 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

London & South Challenge Trophy 1st round:

London Skolars A 20 Hammersmith Hills Hoists 16

Nil-nil at half-time - that's a proper old-fashioned cup scoreline.

Try in the final minute for Skolars to take the win.

Sadly there were three 18-0 scorelines out of the 8 scheduled games in the round.

#38 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Sadly there were three 18-0 scorelines out of the 8 scheduled games in the round.

Is the same thing happening in the London Premier League as appears to be happening in the NCL South?  With Skolars A and Hemel A included in this league, will anyone else get a look in.  I know its not dual reg, but both teams have a large pool of other players to choose from.  Would it have made more sense for Skolars and Hemel to play in the NCL South?

#39 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Is the same thing happening in the London Premier League as appears to be happening in the NCL South?  With Skolars A and Hemel A included in this league, will anyone else get a look in.  I know its not dual reg, but both teams have a large pool of other players to choose from.  Would it have made more sense for Skolars and Hemel to play in the NCL South?

Possibly, but that's sending you down the road of forcing clubs to play in divisions that they aren't comfortable with.

#40 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

The defaults were in the cup, NOT in the premier league. 

The scoreline against Skolars A suggests that HillsHoists are competitive with the other two clubs.  Eastern Rhinos are usually there or thereabouts as well in this league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users