town squad vs widnes

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well done lads, a performance to be proud of. Thought our fitness held up well, and Stacky was our MOM by a mile. Tough conditions to play in but I thought we did ok, I'd have liked a score on the board to reward the effort but it just wasn't to be.
Good luck to Widnes and I hope they get to Wembley.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#22 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

More importantly, the 2 results in the league went in our favour today with Batley beating Swinton 36-6 and Dewsbury beating Keighley 18-10

#23 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

very proud of all the boys today. yeah we can pick out odd mistakes but that takes away from a very brave effort. they werent 36 points better than us and you can see why we dont opt for too many dual reg players. gareth hock is still the biggest #### bag in rugby, and off todays performance will get destroyed in oz, stack was head and shoulders above him and our best player by quite some distance. the boys should be very proud of there efforts.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#24 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Conditions were the main factor today , but I've got to say I'm a bit frustrated . It was a good effort , but with the weather and the fact that they weren't world beaters and made lots of errors , I thought we could have been bang in that if we'd been on top form . There wasn't much in it on the pitch really , we let in some soft tries - how often did they rip us up ? Hardly ever . More than anything though we had so many chances but weren't sharp or clinical enough with the ball . We can take a lot from that game , but we've got to keep looking to be sharper and more effective ball in hand . They got a real workout out from us today , and the score line wasn't a fair reflection . Conditions were a leveller and we lost nothing in the arm wrestle . Silly tries were frustrating and the failure to take advantage of our territory . Really strong endeavour but could have been a lot tighter with better execution and smarts .They were strong but pretty basic , in many areas we matched them . Its a game of taking chances and defending your line in the end .Against a fulltime team though we lost little in defeat .We could have been bang in that .Nothing to fear in our league . Stack was immense and Hock was very illdisciplined .

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#25 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

The difference was the clinical finishing. We had a good few opportunities but didn't take them, they took all of theirs. No surprise there really as our finishing and composure near the opponents line has been iffy all season.

The lads were beaten but not disgraced and I bet those Widnes lads know they've been in a game today. The main thing is we didn't come out of it with any injuries, although no doubt we've got a few sore bodies in the dressing room.

Onwards and upwards, lets take it out on Hunslet next week.

#26 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Bloke in front of me from Widnes shouted ' Get your suits for Wembley ' ... Really ?

#27 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

i'm disappointed they got 36. great effort by the lads we couldn't have asked for anymore effort from them. it was fairly professional performance from widnes in the conditions.

Edited by town4me, 12 May 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#28 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Well played town stack n thacks was class also phillips n matty with olstrum stood out wid morris also that carter was tryen too hard at times but never mind leauge is more important so lets move on n count all the pennys we have made unlike the jam down the road!!!!!!

N my bloody coupon busted in the last min hurt HA HA HA

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

How fantastic to see a kick from a scrum for Elliot . Please can we see more of this when no full back and two wingers who can catch pigeons !!! Two second rows Stacky and Dave Allen were best on pitch . Hope all our guys came out healthy .

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#30 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

How fantastic to see a kick from a scrum for Elliot . Please can we see more of this when no full back and two wingers who can catch pigeons !!!

only criticism is why didn't we try the kicks through for the wingers a little bit more than we did. still great effort from all the players. play like that against the hawks and we will win.

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Agreed . Should always be looking to get our wingers' speed and threat into the game through halves kicking . Little cross kicks through the line and long kicks to sprint after . If your attack is blunt at times with ball in hand the kicking option , on the floor and in the air ,is a big one from the halves to the flanks through the defensive line . Just something to work on for the rest of the season . Lupton had a real dig in attack n defence today . We weren't to inferior today in my eyes but they were smarter and more clinical . So much for us to take forward and build on , our league should hold no fears , just need to keep working on being a bit better in our execution . They know they were in a game !

Edited by DavidM, 12 May 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#32 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

i thought stack,lupton and thacks really stood up to be counted today.and matty made good yards from dummy half.

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

You know thinking ahead to next week guys , if Widnes offer us 4 or 5 players again I'd be tempted to take them this once . We have had guys in the pack who've played week in week out taking lots of punishment , culminating in today . With a huge spell in the league to come and games to fit in , this may be the best and only chance to give some a breather . What about if Widnes offer players , give the likes of Olstrum , Stacky , Callum and Thacks a few days off and get them to come back fresh n firing for Donny . Just a thought .

#34 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

The lads gave them a really good dig today and deserved to get a try at least.    We could have taken 3 or 4 penalties just to score but we wanted a try and who can blame them.     Mr Stokes once again showed his incompetence with some weird decisions.   The biggest disappointment today, apart from the weather, was the attendance figure - 1,657.    I couldn't believe that when I heard it on the radio.    The stand was full, the scratching shed was full and there were cars parked everywhere around the ground, including the river end, which normally doesn't see many cars these days.    Everyone must have come in a car although I saw 5 coaches parked up near the office!!!!!

I thought we missed Jamie Acton today to give that bit of punch through the middle and if I had to be a bit picky I would like to see some of our players run on to the ball like Hock and Allen did for their tries, nobody was going to stop them.     

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I thought 2000 minimum .

#36 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

1657 sounds a bit baffling. i guessed 2,100ish

Edited by town4me, 12 May 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#37 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Who was there number 12 he was mom today was outstanding

#38 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Dave Allen , quality.

#39 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

yeah that sounds way off. the idiots from down the road think it would have neen over 70 if it was sunny???? words cant sum them lot up.

#40 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Who was there number 12 he was mom today was outstanding

yeah im not sure how clarke got it, he wasnt even the best hooker on the pitch

Edited by wonky, 12 May 2013 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users