Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

town squad vs widnes

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

How late was that last try? did me on the 32 handicap !

Posted Image

#62 Townvic

Townvic
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Agreed , all the second half tries were very soft . They were workmanlike in the conditions and played strong basic rugby in attack and defence . We had nothing really to throw back at them , but full credit that they never really broke us or ripped our defence . On the pitch , certainly from 20 metre line to 20 metre line , the action didn't equate to the scoreboard ( which chose today not to bother with the time )

The scoreboard clock wasn't running David as the rfl insisted on using their own which was positioned near the visitors dug out
STILL Keeping the Faith in more ways than one...though others may fall away.... Oh yes I am

Posted Image

#63 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hard to score long try's in those conditions and to be honest I think dry and warm conditions would have resulted in a higher Widnes score.Stack stood out for your team and I be definitely be interested in him at Widnes.He was your stand out player and for Widnes Dave Allen.Gaz Hock does some stupid penalties at times and Goodluck for the rest of the season.I think there was more than 1600 at the game, I feel fiddled.The conditions where dreadful and spoiled the game to be honest.

conditions werent great but with the wind and rain behind a SL team in the first half whilst fresh i think our defence was good limiting widnes to 18 points

#64 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hard to score long try's in those conditions and to be honest I think dry and warm conditions would have resulted in a higher Widnes score.Stack stood out for your team and I be definitely be interested in him at Widnes.He was your stand out player and for Widnes Dave Allen.Gaz Hock does some stupid penalties at times and Goodluck for the rest of the season.I think there was more than 1600 at the game, I feel fiddled.The conditions where dreadful and spoiled the game to be honest.

i think thats a massive disservice to the town boys. for a long period in the 1st and 2nd half you couldnt get out of your own half, and the wet conditions slowed us down just as much as you. 1st half you had everything in your favour and still only mustered up 18 points so a nice sunny day would not of helped you at that point. out wide we certainly had the speed on you but for some reason only kicked once to ell miller who had the beating of your winger on his side.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#65 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

i think thats a massive disservice to the town boys. for a long period in the 1st and 2nd half you couldnt get out of your own half, and the wet conditions slowed us down just as much as you. 1st half you had everything in your favour and still only mustered up 18 points so a nice sunny day would not of helped you at that point. out wide we certainly had the speed on you but for some reason only kicked once to ell miller who had the beating of your winger on his side.

Disagree with you mate as the line speed and handling would have been better if dry conditions from Widnes.We have smashed Warrington on form and at home not many Superleague teams look forward to the Stobart stadium.I saw the pressure you gave and started with silly penalties and Hock doing stupid brain farts.The wet conditions and dropped ball was the cause to that pressure and we still held you out.Stokes gave you lots of penalties and any way the best team won, as I never doubted losing.Stack and Philiphs looked your best players and I admit love Stack at Widnes.How old is Stack and Marsh has plenty of speed.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 13 May 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#66 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Thought the conditions eased in the second half and we never got the 50-50s. Soft and unlucky try's in the second half otherwise we would have kept them under 30 points. Good performance which should help us in the league. Deserved the good ovation from the crowd at the end. Probably was 1600 as all crammed under the grandstand on the popular side made it look more.

#67 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Probably was 1600 as all crammed under the grandstand on the popular side made it look more.

Also, each club gets 125 complimentary tickets to give out which don't get counted in the paying attendance so you can add 250 onto the crowd that was announced.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#68 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Cheers Vic , interesting . Not great for speccies but that's the RFL for ya !!

#69 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

For my mind Widnes got any 50/50 calls and the ref bottled it. The Widnes defensive line couldn't have got up any quicker as they were already 3 yards in front of the ref when the ball was played meaning if they'd have been up any quicker and they'd have been on top of the ball player but it's easy for a ref to favour the big club which is exactly what happened

Edited by GeordieTownie, 13 May 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#70 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Very strange decision I thought when Shacks ripped the ball one on one , as the original tackler had fell off seconds earlier . I thought that rule had been tinkered to take that into account?

#71 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Even stranger decision by the in-goal judge in the last couple of minutes when a Widnes player in the in goal area knocked the ball out of play the judge gave a 20 metre re-start. The widnes player was clearly still in the in goal area and didn't have his foot over the dead ball line.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#72 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Disagree with you mate as the line speed and handling would have been better if dry conditions from Widnes.We have smashed Warrington on form and at home not many Superleague teams look forward to the Stobart stadium.I saw the pressure you gave and started with silly penalties and Hock doing stupid brain farts.The wet conditions and dropped ball was the cause to that pressure and we still held you out.Stokes gave you lots of penalties and any way the best team won, as I never doubted losing.Stack and Philiphs looked your best players and I admit love Stack at Widnes.How old is Stack and Marsh has plenty of speed.

I think you belittle the effort put in by our lads widnesrlfc. Did we not drop the ball many times when in a promising position? We can't be held responsible for the very poor indiscipline of the likes of that penalty machine - Hock!! How many high tackles d id Stack alone get hit with!!!

No-one at Town expected us to win due to your full time squad, etc, but come on, we gave you a good gameand your lads will know that this morning.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#73 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Even stranger decision by the in-goal judge in the last couple of minutes when a Widnes player in the in goal area knocked the ball out of play the judge gave a 20 metre re-start. The widnes player was clearly still in the in goal area and didn't have his foot over the dead ball line.

You must have good eyes Keith, I have to say I couldn't see one way or another.

Widnes may have beaten us easier on a dry day but then again maybe they wouldn't have. Its all history now, we have to just wish them well for the draw. We gave a decent account of ourselves and I'm happy with that.

Sorry but Stack is 43 and will be of no use to you in SL Widnesrlfc!!  :D

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#74 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think you belittle the effort put in by our lads widnesrlfc. Did we not drop the ball many times when in a promising position? We can't be held responsible for the very poor indiscipline of the likes of that penalty machine - Hock!! How many high tackles d id Stack alone get hit with!!!

No-one at Town expected us to win due to your full time squad, etc, but come on, we gave you a good gameand your lads will know that this morning.

well said keith. widnes scored off nearly every opportunity near the town line whereas we were dropping ballswe would normally be taking. mossop wouldnt have dropped the ball for there 5th try if it had been sunny and dry and in the 1st half the conditions were very much in the vikings favour and they still only mustered up 18points.

#75 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

You must have good eyes Keith, I have to say I couldn't see one way or another.

Widnes may have beaten us easier on a dry day but then again maybe they wouldn't have. Its all history now, we have to just wish them well for the draw. We gave a decent account of ourselves and I'm happy with that.
Sorry but Stack is 43 and will be of no use to you in SL Widnesrlfc!! :D

widnes wouldnt offer stack the wages town pay him with his community work along with his players income.and hes on a 2year deal.

#76 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

i never expected to win even in the conditions. the ref was as awful as he usually is and never gave us any 50/50 decisions. good luck to widnes in the next round

#77 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

i thought clarke was awesome for widnes as was dave allen.had it been a bit drier the score would of been considerably more.poor crowd although good widnes crowd of about 1000.hock certainly knows how to wind players up.

There wasn't 1000 Widnes fans there, no where near 1000.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#78 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

hes just talking ###### to get some attention mate

#79 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I wouldnt have said there was 1000 widnes fans but there was an awfull lot of them, I was totally surrounded in the grandstand.

To be fair theyre a decent bunch too, and mind their language. Were complimentary about our better players, one in particular wouldnt shut up about Calum Phillips, who I thought was very lively, hell of a set of stones that lad!

Edited by ameliasdaddy, 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#80 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yeh the guy sitting next to me was a good bloke , kept saying Hock was a fruitcake and a liability !!!
Maybe but doesn't half get stuck in and I'd have him !!! Two sides to him though . Some really strong stuff and always involved , then silly stuff like elbowing Callum on the floor and high shots . Guess that's what's you get with him . God knows what Parra will do with him , discipline is paramount over there .

Edited by DavidM, 13 May 2013 - 01:16 PM.