Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

town squad vs widnes

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Yeh the guy sitting next to me was a good bloke , kept saying Hock was a fruitcake and a liability !!!
Maybe but doesn't half get stuck in and I'd have him !!! Two sides to him though . Some really strong stuff and always involved , then silly stuff like elbowing Callum on the floor and high shots . Guess that's what's you get with him . God knows what Parra will do with him , discipline is paramount over there .

totally honest here, i couldnt support the guy if he played for my team. the things hes done and the way he acts on the pitch is a disgrace, yeah we all like people who get stuck in like ginge used to and acton does now, but he oversteps the mark.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#82 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Also, each club gets 125 complimentary tickets to give out which don't get counted in the paying attendance so you can add 250 onto the crowd that was announced.

Interesting that players only get one complimentary tickets seems standard practice across the game makes you wonder where the rest are distributed to
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#83 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

You must have good eyes Keith, I have to say I couldn't see one way or another.

Widnes may have beaten us easier on a dry day but then again maybe they wouldn't have. Its all history now, we have to just wish them well for the draw. We gave a decent account of ourselves and I'm happy with that.

Sorry but Stack is 43 and will be of no use to you in SL Widnesrlfc!!  :D

I was at that end of the ground and the widnes player was a foot inside the line when he connected so Keith's eye's fine. Same linesman missed a blatant forward pass a minute earlier. Irritating but thats what happens. Stokes had a better game than the Batley match though that wasn't difficult.

#84 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Had to listen to the game on radio Merseyside, the two guys commentating were enthusing over the effort Town put in and how tough they were making it for Widnes.
Well done boys good effort. It couldn't have been a filthier day to stage the game, I would imagine it knocked a few hundred off the gate.The haven muppet said there was a thousand Widnes fans there, if that was the case it would mean that more Town fans turned up to watch Hunslet last week !!! How many did haven get last year against Super League opposition on a fine day ? I'm sure Keith will tell us !!

#85 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Had to listen to the game on radio Merseyside, the two guys commentating were enthusing over the effort Town put in and how tough they were making it for Widnes.
Well done boys good effort. It couldn't have been a filthier day to stage the game, I would imagine it knocked a few hundred off the gate.The haven muppet said there was a thousand Widnes fans there, if that was the case it would mean that more Town fans turned up to watch Hunslet last week !!! How many did haven get last year against Super League opposition on a fine day ? I'm sure Keith will tell us !!

Whitehaven versus Salford City reds - 751

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#86 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

900 odd marra was 5hit but there wasn,t many salford fans there too be honest we where getting more for most of the league games

#87 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Whitehaven versus Salford City reds - 751

Thanks Keith, I knew you wouldn't let us down........Bumper crowd that one wasn't it :rolleyes:

#88 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think you belittle the effort put in by our lads widnesrlfc. Did we not drop the ball many times when in a promising position? We can't be held responsible for the very poor indiscipline of the likes of that penalty machine - Hock!! How many high tackles d id Stack alone get hit with!!!

No-one at Town expected us to win due to your full time squad, etc, but come on, we gave you a good gameand your lads will know that this morning.

Did not mean to be harsh mate and your team did battle well.We where clinical and took our chances on the day.Sorry it was just my opinion and I hope you get into the top 6.All the best for the rest of the season and I do rate a few of your players.Stack and Philiphs yes please.

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

We have as good a shot at that 6th spot as anyone in that lower group . We are not inferior to anyone and are superior to most on what I've seen so far in talent terms .

Edited by DavidM, 13 May 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#90 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

The biggest barometer to how well Workington played on Sunday was the post match interview with Dennis Betts. I have never seen him so full of praise for the Widnes side and how well they played . That in itself tells you how hard they had to work for their victory ,which upto half time was not a foregone conclusion. The conditions Widnes played with in the first half where far and away worse than what Widnes had against them in the second and the scoreline really does not do justice  to the Workington team. For a young part time team to put in so much effort and match Widnes in most departments shows how far they have come in such a short space of time and will only get better with time. Widnes RLFC is doing you a disservice and Stack and Phillips he can forget about they would get a spot in a top 8 SL team so why would they choose Widnes  :lol:  :lol:

#91 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I don't want to talk about our players and SL any more !!

#92 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't want to talk about our players and SL any more !!

why not ?? couple of years with P & R back and they could be playing there in the blue & white

#93 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Mischievous . You know what I mean !!!

#94 away the brow

away the brow
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well done town today thought they put in a great effort against a well drilled widnes outfit!! The play of the balls seemed the difference for me, they were fired up to play the ball and whilst defending maybe offside sometimes but very fit also!!
Thackerey again put in a good performance and made yards with coward too and stack always had 3 or 4 defenders around him and rightly got man of the match for us!!
Hock took some stick but personally I think he played well, taking the ball in at great angles and always making yards as well as get his dirty fingers in the tackles as well but that's the type of player he is, hope he does well in the NRL.
On next week I think we should rest any guys with niggles and use the dual reg to its full advantage and get Forber and coyle if fit in the 17 a win would be nice but donny and keighley away are the must wins, onwards and upwards up the town and good luck to widnes

Edited by away the brow, 14 May 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#95 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Since Matty has come back from injury Town have won all 4 matches up to the Widnes game.  The score when Matty was on the pitch was Town 0-6 Widnes that shows how much influence he has on a game. Is it not time to get Callum who has played great this season and Matty on the pitch at the same time?  

Edited by gillmeister, 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#96 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Agree with away the brow once Mattys on he should remain on him and Callum could interchange while on the field like Saints used to with Roby and Moore would help make the team more dynamic!

Having two hookers in the 17 is vital lack of someone to spell Callum cost us a couple of wins IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users