Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No red card for punching

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

This rule for sending someone off for punching is spoiling our game, sin bin and more excitement when they come back on.
How is it ok for players to do cheap shots and act in a provocative manner yet get away with it.
I'd of rather seen Ryan bailey sent off for rubbing Danny broughs head when he passes the ball to touch than see wardle go.
Iv said it before and ill say it again our game is played by men we don't want to see play acting and ungentlemanly behaviour creep into our game
waddell

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

We also don't want to see thugs. Not for a second calling Wardle a thug, but there have been many thuggish incidents this year that have seen red.

I think provocation needs to be taken into account when things like this happen.

Situation 1 - McGuire accidentally catches a knee to the head, kicks off, throws punches but because he fights like a girl nothing happens.

Situation 2 - Ablett pushes and provokes Wardle. Gets a response. Wardle belts him in retaliation, and because he can throw a decent punch he is sent off.

All this will do is increase the number of sh*thouse tactics to try and get a response. I called it in the first 20 minutes that Leeds were trying to provoke the Hudds players into a retaliation, and they finally caught a fish. It shouldn't be rewarded.
Posted Image

#3 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I agree we don't want to see thugs, I don't class standing toe to toe as thuggish, it's part of our sport.
Steve Ganson needs to put a stop to this stupid refereeing straight away.
waddell

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Is it really,it may have been pre SL but the game needs to be sold to parents to encourage kids to play,they won't let them if stuff like that is ignored in the game.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Is it really,it may have been pre SL but the game needs to be sold to parents to encourage kids to play,they won't let them if stuff like that is ignored in the game.

Too late, even in kids RL they are always dropping the elbow or rubbing the tackled player's face. I suppose when they watch idiots like Ablett get away with it game after game they will think its OK.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

That's a bit rich coming from a supporter of a team that contains Ryan Bailey.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Kids of our generation were never discouraged from playing in the 80's....and there was plenty of biff on display back then....

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

That's a bit rich coming from a supporter of a team that contains Ryan Bailey.

I despair ,I really do.This forum is turning to ######

When have i mentioned Bailey,or condoned any of his actions.Yes i support Leeds but it doesn't mean I condone thuggery.FFS.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 11 May 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#9 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

He had to go I think. Just because it was on national TV alone. The fact that ablett didn't retalitate to the four punches he received made it a definite walk for me but if it wasn't televised it might of been just a yellow.

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

He had to go I think. Just because it was on national TV alone. The fact that ablett didn't retalitate to the four punches he received made it a definite walk for me but if it wasn't televised it might of been just a yellow.

Would Ablett have retaliated if Delaney (?) hadn't come in to stop the fight?

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Would Ablett have retaliated if Delaney (?) hadn't come in to stop the fight?

Good point who knows. But on the evidence we saw I think the red was just. But like I said if it wasn't on national TV I think he would of got away with just the yellow.I didn't like the Leeds tactics though once they knew they were getting beaten by the better team on the day they just wanted to start a brawl every set of 6 lol.

Edited by thundergaz, 11 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#12 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

yeah i agree with you, if ablett had retaliated it would have been a sin bin a peace, but because he didnt retaliate it had to be a red, maybe ablett knew that?

Edited by shun, 11 May 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Too late, even in kids RL they are always dropping the elbow or rubbing the tackled player's face. I suppose when they watch idiots like Ablett get away with it game after game they will think its OK.

Often wondered why you have that user name when you so obviously despise Leeds.Keep on with the keyboard warrior posts.

#14 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Think about your own experience of rugby league, nobody I have ever spoke too has ever wanted anybody sent off for punching or has ever even said that a fight wasn't good for the game. Im not old enough to remember the old days, I move in rugby circles. The refs are doing the game a disservice.
A fight created origin, when Arthur Beetson punched his team mate it showed how much the game meant. I don't think origins viewing figures are that bad the last time I checked.
waddell

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I despair ,I really do.This forum is turning to ######
When have i mentioned Bailey,or condoned any of his actions.Yes i support Leeds but it doesn't mean I condone thuggery.FFS.

Fair enough, maybe I was out of order and I'll apologise. I just didn't think it was a red. With two players squaring up to each other both are aware that there's a good chance someone might throw a punch and would be set for that eventuality. It was all over in seconds with no damage done (except for Ablett's ego). A yellow would have sufficed.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

I agree we don't want to see thugs, I don't class standing toe to toe as thuggish, it's part of our sport.
Steve Ganson needs to put a stop to this stupid refereeing straight away.

it wasnt exactly toe to toe though, that is why he got sent off, if ablett fought back then it prob wouldnt have been a red.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

it wasnt exactly toe to toe though, that is why he got sent off, if ablett fought back then it prob wouldnt have been a red.

Ablett might have fought back if Delaney hadn't jumped in to stop Wardle.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Think about your own experience of rugby league, nobody I have ever spoke too has ever wanted anybody sent off for punching or has ever even said that a fight wasn't good for the game. Im not old enough to remember the old days, I move in rugby circles. The refs are doing the game a disservice.
A fight created origin, when Arthur Beetson punched his team mate it showed how much the game meant. I don't think origins viewing figures are that bad the last time I checked.

it's the "it's all part of the game" stuff,to me it isn't.RL to me is about skill and flair and passion but not violence.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Iit's the "it's all part of the game" stuff,to me it isn't.RL to me is about skill and flair and passion but not violence.

The violence wasn't pre meditated, it was heat of the moment stuff that happened in the middle of an intense environment.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Fair enough, maybe I was out of order and I'll apologise. I just didn't think it was a red. With two players squaring up to each other both are aware that there's a good chance someone might throw a punch and would be set for that eventuality. It was all over in seconds with no damage done (except for Ablett's ego). A yellow would have sufficed.

Accepted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users