No red card for punching

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Often wondered why you have that user name when you so obviously despise Leeds.Keep on with the keyboard warrior posts.

I'm from Leeds but don't support the Rhinos anymore, it was about 5 years ago when I realised how much cheating that got away with, it started to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Anyway, don't be so arrogant to think that everyone in Leeds supports the Rhinos, the majority of the population don't really care about anything other then Leeds United.

#22 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

RL is played tough and RL is played on the edge of emotions and intimidation and goading at times.
Occasionally, it'll explode, often it'll be tough, its in the DNA of the game. Its designed that way.
The crowd roars when something like that happens.
I've not yet in 40 years witnessed a crowd that goes quiet when a scrap erupts or there are cases when one team is intimidating the other by hard and fair tackling and driving attackers back to their own line, and yes bordering on violence. They love it.

Wardle's was borderline yellow/red card, but I'd go with yellow. Maguire and Cudjoe was handbags nothing more, but Maguire should have been spoken to.

Edited by shaun mc, 11 May 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#23 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

That's it right there Shaun Mc, it adds to spectacle at times, i don't see it as violence at all.

I spoke to a guy who has only just recently started watching rugby league who said he watches the NRL now because it's faster and more aggressive. So by trying to satisfy certain people who don't seem in touch with what rugby league is they are actually turning people off our sport.
waddell

#24 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Having seen Justin Poore get sent off twice for only throwing a third of the punches Wardle threw its time for consistency. If players are going to throw punches then a consistent outcome is needed. I am not condoning the fact Poore did what he did, I thought the punishment was harsh but he threw the puches. Other players have thrown punches and no action taken, perhaps it depends upon reputation and the audience and the type of game, just make it a yellow card offence or if its against the rules red card full stop. players get angry and lose their tempers I suppose we all do but they are competative role models, do it at your peril is what I say.

#25 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Having seen Justin Poore get sent off twice for only throwing a third of the punches Wardle threw its time for consistency. If players are going to throw punches then a consistent outcome is needed.

Erm, Wardle was sent off, so isn't that a consistent outcome? Unless you're saying Wardle should have been sent off three times.

I'm in the camp who likes a bit of leniency and the red card should be for acts of thuggery. Yesterday's wasn't in this category since Ablett incited it to start with.

I think consistency from game to game is over-rated and probably unachievable. For me, it's more important taht referees are empowered to use their discretion and judgement rather than send someone off because another ref did three months ago. Consistency within the same game and clear communication are far more important, and that's what was lacking yesterday as McGuire got away with his own punching, compounded by him basically instructing Bentham to award Leeds a penalty (and Bentham complying).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#26 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Why send somebody of when probably 90% of the crowd don't think it's a sending off, never mind if its punching. The referees are a part of the RFL they should do what's best for the game. Sending players off Everytime they have a set too is really making a mockery of our game.
We pride ourselves on being a game for men, if we want it to go like football where the play acting, niggly provocative player gets rewarded for his endeavours then let's keep sending players off for fighting.
waddell

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

McGuire got away with his own punching, compounded by him basically instructing Bentham to award Leeds a penalty (and Bentham complying).

You could also ask should McGuire have been sent off for the flying clothesline when even the commentators queried whether his feet were off the ground when contact was made.

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Erm, Wardle was sent off, so isn't that a consistent outcome? 

I'm in the camp who likes a bit of leniency and the red card should be for acts of thuggery. Yesterday's wasn't in this category since Ablett incited it to start with.

I think consistency from game to game is over-rated and probably unachievable. For me, it's more important taht referees are empowered to use their discretion and judgement rather than send someone off because another ref did three months ago. Consistency within the same game and clear communication are far more important, and that's what was lacking yesterday as McGuire got away with his own punching, compounded by him basically instructing Bentham to award Leeds a penalty (and Bentham complying).

Wardle was sent from the field, however McGuire was not. He wasn't at Bradford last week when he threw punches, and he wasn't yesterday when he did the same.  What he did was no different to what Poore did to Farrell, or what Wardle did to his Leeds opponents and yet he remained on the field against the Bulls and wasn't suspended so was able to take to the field against Huddersfield.  You could argue that what McGuire did was worse as he was the aggressor.

Consistency is important in the game, it's very important.  It gives boundaries and parameters for players and coaches to operated within.  I thought Silverwood's twitter explanation for not carding McGuire against Bradford was weak in the extreme.  Both Wardle and Poore have been sent from the field for retaliating against s***housing and in Poore's case Farrell trying to punch him in the face, should he and Wardle just stand there waiting to be hit?

The game is rough enough without punching being tolerated one week and not the next.  

Edited by Larry the Leit, 12 May 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#29 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Erm, Wardle was sent off, so isn't that a consistent outcome? Unless you're saying Wardle should have been sent off three times.

I didnt mean that what I meant was other players have thrown puches but no action taken Wardle sent offshowed some consistency with punching my point is you dont throw punches without intent and that intent is to hit someone, provoked or not professional sportsmen should know what the line is and not to cross it, the failure is by the officials, make it a yellow card with no contact and red if there is.

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I didnt mean that what I meant was other players have thrown puches but no action taken Wardle sent offshowed some consistency with punching my point is you dont throw punches without intent and that intent is to hit someone, provoked or not professional sportsmen should know what the line is and not to cross it, the failure is by the officials, make it a yellow card with no contact and red if there is.

That doesn't stack up to me.  Intent is intent so whether contact is made is broadly irrelevant.  I remember McCurrie getting sent off for Wakefield without touching anybody on one occasion and rightly so.

#31 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I don't think anybody should be sent off for punching when there is provocation or it is two players having a tussle. Just because players are taking part in a game of RL doesn't mean they cease to be human, and they are trained to big strong , physical , hard people. If someone is intent on putting their hands or knee in your face or constantly niggling you you should have every right to defend yourself. And with the on-report facility and match reviews we have now is there really any need in such cases? Players are routinely called to answer anyway.

RL is played tough and RL is played on the edge of emotions and intimidation and goading at times.
Occasionally, it'll explode, often it'll be tough, its in the DNA of the game. Its designed that way.
The crowd roars when something like that happens.
I've not yet in 40 years witnessed a crowd that goes quiet when a scrap erupts or there are cases when one team is intimidating the other by hard and fair tackling and driving attackers back to their own line, and yes bordering on violence. They love it.

Wardle's was borderline yellow/red card, but I'd go with yellow. Maguire and Cudjoe was handbags nothing more, but Maguire should have been spoken to.

Completly agree...sometimes RL does not realise when it is shooting itself in the foot..the days of the loose cannon lunatics are long gone , discipline in the game is a very important part of been a professional SL player now and i really do not see a problem within the game in that regard at all, but the nature of the game means incidents occur and i much favour the ice hockey (and State of Origin) method of letting these big boys, who are not babies , get on with it and sort it out afterwards, the crowds DO like it and we can keep 13 v 13 as much as is possible.

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Exactly. I really don't want to see provocation rewarded, which this does. If someone is being a thug and attacking people, that should be a red.

If someone is provoked and someone responds, should be a yellow each. I'd even throw in the caveat that they should have to shake hands after the ten minutes before they enter the field so we know it's out if their system and if they don't, they can stay off longer to "cool off".
Posted Image

#33 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

im all for sin bining players when theres a punch-up, but Wardle cant have any complaints for seeing red.

you start throwing punches for what appeared to be nothing more than a bit of push and shove at the PTB and you can't really expect anything less.

that being said, if Ablett would have thrown a couple of his own i reckon both would have seen yellow at worst.

Its an area i think referee's tend to judge by each specific incident, and not just whether a punch has been thrown.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

He had to go I think. Just because it was on national TV alone. The fact that ablett didn't retalitate to the four punches he received made it a definite walk for me but if it wasn't televised it might of been just a yellow.

i agree. The black and white of it was he threw 5 punches direct to a players head.
Any anger should be directed to the player rather than the ref or the rules.

#35 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

To send a player off for punching is ruining the game and ruining the sport. The argument that it's a family sport and will put people off doesn't stick up when our highest viewing figures are for state of origin that actually condones a square up.
You've got no game if you take the passion out of it.
The exiles game would be something people might start looking forward too if that had a bit of passion.
waddell

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

To send a player off for punching is ruining the game and ruining the sport. The argument that it's a family sport and will put people off doesn't stick up when our highest viewing figures are for state of origin that actually condones a square up.
You've got no game if you take the passion out of it.
The exiles game would be something people might start looking forward too if that had a bit of passion.

no sport (apart from boxing and ufc) allows you to repeatedly punch an opposing player in the head and stay on.
RL should be no different imho.

#37 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Last time I checked Dave The State of Origin was a sport
waddell

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Last time I checked Dave The State of Origin was a sport

well no, Rugby League is the sport but its a fair point.

I dont like the dual standards in the game, but then the Aussies will just do what they eant.

#39 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

The Aussies seem to realise that the spectacle of the game matters more than pleasing a few spectators that don't like a punch being thrown.
Which is another reason why they have a massive TV deal.
waddell

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm from Leeds but don't support the Rhinos anymore, it was about 5 years ago when I realised how much cheating that got away with, it started to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Anyway, don't be so arrogant to think that everyone in Leeds supports the Rhinos, the majority of the population don't really care about anything other then Leeds United.

Wasn't arrogance,just wondered why you had the username,given the amount of uninformed bile you spout..And I don't assume everyone in Leeds supports the Rhinos.I know most  follow Leeds United.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users