Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No red card for punching

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

And no charge for Ablett for his assault with the knees. Typical of how shambolic the sport is. If it's not replayed and banged on about by commentators they pretend it never happened. They have all the game footage, they absolutely must have seen it, but they're going to turn a blind eye to it because they know most fans missed it.

I reckon it's more to do with the possibility that Ablett's knee to the head (and I saw it on the red button) just cannot be considered as provocation enough for four or five punches to the head a good few minutes later.  There really can be no justification for what Wardle did.  Off the pitch that would be assault.  Had it been a stand up fight then that's another matter - and clearly the Grade A charges for Cudjoe and McGuire reflect the difference. (Although I don't agree that either of those Grade A charges were necessary and the RFL has gone too far this season over punch ups)   

#82 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

How about mcguires head shot on Crabtree (that has warranted a red in recent games)

Same for Kyle on Robinson

Wardle deserved his Red Card and no complaints from me - but there are still plenty of double standards

Oh and Ablett was doing his best to run off while Wardle was having his head twisted off by another Leeds player

#83 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

How about mcguires head shot on Crabtree (that has warranted a red in recent games)

Same for Kyle on Robinson

Wardle deserved his Red Card and no complaints from me - but there are still plenty of double standards

Oh and Ablett was doing his best to run off while Wardle was having his head twisted off by another Leeds player

Leuluai onRobinson,he had his back to Leluai,he was committed to the tackle,he couldn't see the ball had gone.Nothing to see here,move along.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 13 May 2013 - 06:39 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#84 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

I reckon it's more to do with the possibility that Ablett's knee to the head (and I saw it on the red button) just cannot be considered as provocation enough for four or five punches to the head a good few minutes later.  There really can be no justification for what Wardle did.  Off the pitch that would be assault.  Had it been a stand up fight then that's another matter - and clearly the Grade A charges for Cudjoe and McGuire reflect the difference. (Although I don't agree that either of those Grade A charges were necessary and the RFL has gone too far this season over punch ups)   

You misjudged the review as it was, the three/four knees to the head weren't minutes earlier, the knees to the head were in the tackle immediately before the punch up. The punches by the Giants player were a direct, immediate reaction to being kneed several times. I have the game itself on disc and you can see the knees making contact with Wardle in the tackle before the fight, it just doesn't look all that bad from the pitch-side camera. It's indisputably the same tackle as replayed from a different angle on the red button, though.

Adrian Morley was suspended for how long, for lashing out with his knee, and that wasn't even near anybodies head. Timana Tahu in the NRL last year was suspended 1 week for a bit of tempted use of the knee which started a fight (and the person who threw punches at him wasn't sin binned, nor suspended, as it was deemed his reaction to be normal)

It's mind blowing that Abletts attack isn't even up for review. Especially when you consider that Wardle's entire defence is going to be predicated on him reactiong to Ablett using his knees!

#85 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Leuluai onRobinson,he had his back to Leluai,he was committed to the tackle,he couldn't see the ball had gone.Nothing to see here,move along.

No. Not that headshot Luluai put on Robbo - the other one...

#86 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

And no charge for Ablett for his assault with the knees. 

There shouldn't be either, it was worthy of a penalty and nothing more.

Sorry to hark back, but in the Farrell/Poore incident Farrell through the first shot, after a facial and dropping the knees on. Poore sent off, penalty to Wakefield.  No charge for Farrell.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#87 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

There shouldn't be either, it was worthy of a penalty and nothing more.

Sorry to hark back, but in the Farrell/Poore incident Farrell through the first shot, after a facial and dropping the knees on. Poore sent off, penalty to Wakefield.  No charge for Farrell.

And what genius logic are you using to come up with kneeing someone in the head four times = penalty and no more. Where as punching someone four times in the head = red card.

Pray tell.

#88 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

And what genius logic are you using to come up with kneeing someone in the head four times = penalty and no more. Where as punching someone four times in the head = red card.

Pray tell.

I didn't think they were anything other than attempts at provocation, they were dirty but not dangerous.  That's the logic that I have used.

Punching is not a part of the game, neither is kneeing.  When players knee to the head, they tend not to do it hard, as they stand as much chance of injuring themselves as their victim.  Better officiating would have seen Wardle stay on, because Ablett's fouls would have resulted in a whistle.

I hope you can sleep, despite your obvious outrage that a rugby league fan thinks that throwing a volley of punches to an opponent as a reaction to some relatively minor niggles in the aftermath of a tackle.  Wardle let his team mates down, but as it happened it didn't matter as the right team won, he wasn't under any further threat from Ablett and yet he chose to escalate it.  His punches were pathetic, not that that matters though.  

I'd like to see him and McGuire got toe to toe, they could go at it for hours without risk of injury.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 May 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#89 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

The old point of if he did that off the pitch he would be done for assault, so would a hand off if it was in the street.
The Aussies just show common sense, players that niggle deserve a punch or our game turns into a farce.
It's obvious to everybody that the odd bust up is good for our game not bad, facts speak for themselves
waddell

#90 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

The old point of if he did that off the pitch he would be done for assault, so would a hand off if it was in the street.
The Aussies just show common sense, players that niggle deserve a punch or our game turns into a farce.
It's obvious to everybody that the odd bust up is good for our game not bad, facts speak for themselves

I'm not keen on the word farce here, but I think there's a good point being made.  It's difficult to know the boundaries though, and to set them out could make things worse and not better.  What in essence that would do is give players the right to punch out once certain conditions were met (high tackle/late tackle etc). I think your point about referee discretion is a valid one, but given that Ablett was not penalised means Wardles punches were the first offence noted, the referee had nowhere to go from there.  Wardle should have just got on with it, he wasn't being assaulted and he carried something and nothing on.  For me that's key, the player has to be in danger of an attack continuing.

I don't want fights because they're good for the game, I think that stinks as justification for violence.  Likewise I think players should have the right to defend themselves.  Poore was hit in the face by a weak punch/lunge by Farrell, he didn't hang around waiting to see if the second one was going to be better executed.  Yes I'm a Wakefield fan, but for the life of me I can't what other option he had other than to stand there and wait to be hit again, the situation had already escalated from a high tackle, to knees to the head in the tackle, to a punch.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 May 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#91 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I would just make a bit of biff a yellow card, it adds to the entertainment as well.

This is my view of the wardle incident, Ablett might of been told to niggle at him to try and get a reaction, to try and get him sent off. If I was a coach I would be telling all my players that so to get an upper hand. That might be why Ablett never retaliated. So where rewarding foul play.
waddell

#92 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

I reckon it's more to do with the possibility that Ablett's knee to the head (and I saw it on the red button) just cannot be considered as provocation enough for four or five punches to the head a good few minutes later.  There really can be no justification for what Wardle did.

I presumed those knees by Ablett shown on the repeat were part of the tackle that led to the play the ball that led to the scuffle. I'd not considered them to be seperate events.

edit: ChrisGS clarified first.

Edited by hindle xiii, 14 May 2013 - 07:46 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#93 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Fwiw Anderson has said Ablett got what he deserved - and Wardle got a standing ovation on his way off the pitch