Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A cup upset

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

After watching Wigan win the FA Cup, I would love it if a less fancied team lifted our Challenge Cup this year. And with big guns Leeds and Saints already out, it could be the year.

As much as clubs like Warrington and Wigan are top class, I'd love it if both were eliminated tomorrow as it would ensure a different club would lift the cup, create more interest and probably mean more to a 'smaller' club.

Who's up for an upset in the cup?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

It happens in RL about as often as it happens in soccer, their last upset was 25 years ago.

When did Sheffield beat Wigan?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Workington 9 - 6 Hull KR, the snowiest Challenge Cup Final in 57 years.

You heard it here first
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

widnes will win the cup this year............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

widnes will win the cup this year............

:D

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think it is more probable that Wigan will be renamed " Silver City" with the Challenge Cups of both codes playing in the town on view at the DW.

Having said that nothing would make me happier than a major upset.

A London win could just kick start that moribund franchise into a more successful and positive future.

#7 steveparker007

steveparker007
  • Twitter
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Fancy London as long as they avoid Wigan or Warrington in the draw.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

London getting the final wouldn't necessarily be good for the game. IIRC they brought 9,000 to the last final when they were a bigger club than they are now. What helped them then was that it was Leeds first final in a while and the last at the old Wembley, the crowd ended up being 73k out of a capacity of 78k. If they were in a final against say Wire or Wigan we could see the crowd down at 60k or so based on the last few years. That's a lot of bright red seats. 

It's similar to Catalan really, it was great to see them at Wembley but it was also the first RL game at the new Wembley. They probably brought only a few thousand compared to a massive number of Saints fans. I think it ended up being the biggest (or 2nd) that we've had since returning to Wembley.  

Looking at the quarters there's only really my club Widnes that could provide that shock but still bring a fair few fans to Wembley. It's a shame Hull KR lost today because they could have really given the competition a boost getting to the final. 

If we want a great spectacle playing in front of a huge crowd, then Wigan-Wire would be the best of what's left. However, if we're after a potential upset with a bit of magic of the cup then Widnes-Wire would be a good final. 

#9 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Well a Wigan-Wire QF draw would be good, as everyone probably expects these 2 in the final now. If one was eliminated in the next round, I think it could get very interesting. For clubs like Widnes and London, winning the SL this year is unlikely. However, a cup win would definitely not be out of the question, and pubs like Hull and Hudds must feel they are in for a red hot chance.

I'm looking forward to the draw this week.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,813 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

London getting the final wouldn't necessarily be good for the game. IIRC they brought 9,000 to the last final when they were a bigger club than they are now. What helped them then was that it was Leeds first final in a while and the last at the old Wembley, the crowd ended up being 73k out of a capacity of 78k. If they were in a final against say Wire or Wigan we could see the crowd down at 60k or so based on the last few years. That's a lot of bright red seats. 

It's similar to Catalan really, it was great to see them at Wembley but it was also the first RL game at the new Wembley. They probably brought only a few thousand compared to a massive number of Saints fans. I think it ended up being the biggest (or 2nd) that we've had since returning to Wembley.  

Looking at the quarters there's only really my club Widnes that could provide that shock but still bring a fair few fans to Wembley. It's a shame Hull KR lost today because they could have really given the competition a boost getting to the final. 

If we want a great spectacle playing in front of a huge crowd, then Wigan-Wire would be the best of what's left. However, if we're after a potential upset with a bit of magic of the cup then Widnes-Wire would be a good final. 

It pains me to say it, but I really wouldn't like to see a Wire v Widnes final.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I personally want a Wigan Wire final. Would be a great game for the BBC to show off how good our game is in time for the world cup. A full house at Wembley and two of the best sides in the country in which would be a game extremely difficult to predict.

Hopefully the RFL have already got the balls in the freezer ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users