Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is it Alex or Kevin Brown?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm confused!!
BBC Rugby League web site states: "Widnes Vikings make just one change from the side that beat St Helens in Super League last week. Full-back Alex Brown replaces name-sake Kevin in the 19-man squad for the trip to West Cumbria."
In the same vein Sky Sports also states: ..."meanwhile the Vikings, .........have Alex Brown back in their squad."
Even the Widnes Forum is flummoxed, they are sure the selection is Kevin because Widnes no longer hold the registration for Alex. They also believe Alex is injured at the moment. Anyone know for certain if it is Kevin or Alex?

Edited by Supporter, 11 May 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

He's at Hull KR , or was last I looked

#3 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I can understand one journalistic mistake, but two major news sources?

#4 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Alex Brown was an academy player at Widnes who has made his first team debut for Widnes in the championship. He then had trouble with injuries and left for Aus. I believe he is back now and playing amatuer rugby. However anyone who has seen Alex play knows he is of the highest calibre and the quickest thing on two legs I have ever seen. I think he played on the wing for the academy with Hulme inside him and the pair of them ripped it up week in week out, He also played with Lawton at junior level.

If the lad decided to stay in this country then im sure there would be a host of clubs after singing him up.but he wont be playing on sunday.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Interesting piece by Betts on the town website. Says he's watched our DVDs and predicts a tough game , picks out Stack and Callum as players who've caught his eye .

#6 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the information wonderofwood, still don't understand why the mis-information was released.

Edited by Supporter, 11 May 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#7 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Interesting piece by Betts on the town website. Says he's watched our DVDs and predicts a tough game , picks out Stack and Callum as players who've caught his eye .

Backs up the view that he is an excellent judge of talent.

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I still claim we were robbed with the try Betts scored that day.    The ball was thrown back to Botica who went for a drop goal.    All the Wigan players were in front of him and the ball hit a post and dropped down towards a Town player who tried to catch hit and was tackled by a Wigan player and dropped the ball.   From the resulting scrum Betts scored.   It should have been a penalty to Town instead of the scrum.    I still have that match on video somewhere.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Ranks up there with the Mulligan 'knock on' v Leeds and Iro went on to score 2 late tries to win the game!

#10 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Didn't betts score in the first half?

#11 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

I still claim we were robbed with the try Betts scored that day. The ball was thrown back to Botica who went for a drop goal. All the Wigan players were in front of him and the ball hit a post and dropped down towards a Town player who tried to catch hit and was tackled by a Wigan player and dropped the ball. From the resulting scrum Betts scored. It should have been a penalty to Town instead of the scrum. I still have that match on video somewhere.

Imagine if we ever get good enough to have Wigan taking drop goal opportunities.

We can but dream eh.

#12 Nero

Nero
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I still claim we were robbed with the try Betts scored that day.    The ball was thrown back to Botica who went for a drop goal.    All the Wigan players were in front of him and the ball hit a post and dropped down towards a Town player who tried to catch hit and was tackled by a Wigan player and dropped the ball.   From the resulting scrum Betts scored.   It should have been a penalty to Town instead of the scrum.    I still have that match on video somewhere.

If it was the Regal Trophy 1992, it was a cracking game in front of a huge crowd. Wigan scorers were Botica, Betts, Panapa & Clarke, Botica 4x4, Town; Mulligan, & Penrice, Marwood 2x2. Town were in Div 3, Wigan were the best team in the world, yet we competed throughout. Be nice to compete in similar style today, only go one better.

#13 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

It was also a lovely frosty day if I remember correctly, And one of Robinson's first games for them. We had them very worried at one point when we were at there line at 18-12 (I think ) then they scored against the run of play And broke us. Great times.

#14 Nero

Nero
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Got the match on DVD, if anyone wants to see it, make a donation to Thacks testimonial & I'll pass it on. It ain't HD mind, but very watchable. We're having a bucket collection today for Thacks, so all contributions gratefully accepted.

#15 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Alex Brown was an academy player at Widnes who has made his first team debut for Widnes in the championship. He then had trouble with injuries and left for Aus. I believe he is back now and playing amatuer rugby. However anyone who has seen Alex play knows he is of the highest calibre and the quickest thing on two legs I have ever seen. I think he played on the wing for the academy with Hulme inside him and the pair of them ripped it up week in week out, He also played with Lawton at junior level.

If the lad decided to stay in this country then im sure there would be a host of clubs after singing him up.but he wont be playing on sunday.

Correct I am confused because went to Australia and the lad was pure class.Remember his full length of the field try against Keighley a few yrs ago.Not very big but great turn of speed,swerve and side step.Soon see today.lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users