• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Every dog(fish) has it's day.

very true and hopefully featherstone will have theirs once again!!

#42 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Back to being a small fish in a big pond . B) .

We'll have to see won't we? At least the water won't be as stagnant
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#43 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

very true and hopefully featherstone will have theirs once again!!

I'm sure they will.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#44 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

The big dream of franchised game has been shown up for what it is. A waste of time.

Its just a shame that so much damage has been done to the game outside SL.

Has it? I'm in favour of a managed return to P&R but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

#45 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

There's no way that Hemel could get promotion to SL even if a straight pathway existed. You're in favour of standards-based P&R.

Hemel has one stand that holds 300 people.

Even in your world they're not replacing Castleford any time soon.

I wasnt saying that Hemel could go up immediately, but others could (e.g. Cru) and that will swell crowds down at Hemel causing a snowball effect. BTW - It wasnt so long ago that Quins RU only had one stand.

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

what, no immorality ?

Taken as read
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I wasnt saying that Hemel could go up immediately, but others could (e.g. Cru) and that will swell crowds down at Hemel causing a snowball effect. BTW - It wasnt so long ago that Quins RU only had one stand.

If you are right about all these things it makes you wonder how everything you suggest was so tragically wrong prior to 1996.

My memory might be failing me but weren't we collectively bankrupt?

#48 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Interesting article from Mr Sadler on the TRL front page which highlights some of the possible problems

http://www.totalrl.c...onsequences-r12

The main one being, surprisingly, money. The lack of.

I take it the game's TV broadcast partners are being involved in the development of the new league structures, and whether they will be attractive enough to win the big money (or at least as much as the game is getting at present). Two of the proposals seem to be what we've had in the recent past: a full-time Super League with p&r from a part-time lower-tier; with the same problems, as the RFL statement seems to recognise.

Which leaves the third proposal, the 2x12, 3x8 option. The Super 8 looks a tremendous prospect, and, on the face of it, having a Middle 8 fighting it out for positions in next year's 12 team Super League could make for a fascinating competition. The problem is still going to be the difference in funding between the top tier and the second tier: the Middle 8 is going to be between 4 clubs with Super League funding and 4 with Championship (as Martyn points out in the article).

The biggest problem, also as made in the link, is likely to be a greater fragmentation in standards. The top 8 are likely to get stronger still through receiving greater funding - through bigger attendances by playing in the Super 12 and the Super Super 8, and the increased TV monies such a fixture list would entail. There is a possibility, or even probability, that the next 4 are going to be constantly self-selecting. The bottom 4 of the Super 12 will be better resourced than the top 4 of the Bottom 12, and are likely to 'bounce back' year after year by dominating the Middle 8.

So we could end up with a very definite top 8 clubs, followed by another two distinct groups of four, and the bottom 8 - with little or no movement between them. Current Championship clubs could find themselves further away from playing the elite than they are now.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#49 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

There's a big hole in the front that you see out of - and it doesn't have sides as such. When the wind is gusting the rain is thus driven into the stand. I probably wouldn't have noticed it so much but the two boys I was with made their displeasure with the weather known.

That was the crowd I heard announced. There were a lot there!

Side panels are the answer!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#50 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Interesting article from Mr Sadler on the TRL front page which highlights some of the possible problems

http://www.totalrl.c...onsequences-r12

The main one being, surprisingly, money. The lack of.

I take it the game's TV broadcast partners are being involved in the development of the new league structures, and whether they will be attractive enough to win the big money (or at least as much as the game is getting at present). Two of the proposals seem to be what we've had in the recent past: a full-time Super League with p&r from a part-time lower-tier; with the same problems, as the RFL statement seems to recognise.

Which leaves the third proposal, the 2x12, 3x8 option. The Super 8 looks a tremendous prospect, and, on the face of it, having a Middle 8 fighting it out for positions in next year's 12 team Super League could make for a fascinating competition. The problem is still going to be the difference in funding between the top tier and the second tier: the Middle 8 is going to be between 4 clubs with Super League funding and 4 with Championship (as Martyn points out in the article).

The biggest problem, also as made in the link, is likely to be a greater fragmentation in standards. The top 8 are likely to get stronger still through receiving greater funding - through bigger attendances by playing in the Super 12 and the Super Super 8, and the increased TV monies such a fixture list would entail. There is a possibility, or even probability, that the next 4 are going to be constantly self-selecting. The bottom 4 of the Super 12 will be better resourced than the top 4 of the Bottom 12, and are likely to 'bounce back' year after year by dominating the Middle 8.

So we could end up with a very definite top 8 clubs, followed by another two distinct groups of four, and the bottom 8 - with little or no movement between them. Current Championship clubs could find themselves further away from playing the elite than they are now.

That's the top and bottom of it. Martyn pretty much nails it.

Tony Smith also isn't a fan: http://www.warringto...hip/?ref=twtrec

#51 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

My clubs $H!t, lets make all other clubs $H!t then we can all be $H!t together.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#52 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

If you are right about all these things it makes you wonder how everything you suggest was so tragically wrong prior to 1996.

My memory might be failing me but weren't we collectively bankrupt?

No. Otherwise sky would have offered peanuts

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

My clubs $H!t, lets make all other clubs $H!t then we can all be $H!t together.

Sounds fair just and moral to me
Equal opportunities and all that
Keeping it local

#54 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

These idiots will destroy the sport.

Edited by Evil Homer, 12 May 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#55 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

That's the top and bottom of it. Martyn pretty much nails it.

Tony Smith also isn't a fan: http://www.warringto...hip/?ref=twtrec

I have always thought Tony Smith talks common sense and this is another example of a man who really understands the complexities of the issues facing sporting organisations and the structures required for a sport or club to flourish.

Another, well reasoned comment that I don't think any sensible person can argue with

#56 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I mean his comments of course

#57 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

Have I missed something? When is single.drain league position p and r returning?

Has this actually been decided? No? I thought not.

It's a complete crock of ######.

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Have I missed something? When is single.drain league position p and r returning?

Has this actually been decided? No? I thought not.

It's a complete crock of ######.

We'll cop it if it doesn't happen
It'll be like the runway at heathrow
Keeping it local

#59 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Shall we do a deal? You SL fans buy some tickets for the NR Cup Final and Championship Grand Final and we'll have a think about returning the favour.

A favour buying World Cup tickets? Seriously?

I already go watching the Championship whenever I can...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#60 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

A favour buying World Cup tickets? Seriously?

I already go watching the Championship whenever I can...

The attitudes of fans like that should be expunged from the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users