Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Feelgood factor back with P&R return

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

The attitudes of fans like that should be expunged from the game.

unfortunately, they are the ones who we are changing the structure for. disgarceful

#62 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

unfortunately, they are the ones who we are changing the structure for. disgarceful

Yes it's the Championship minority that's now influencing the elite! Beggars belief that supposedly intelligent people could believe such tosh. Get real for God's sake. The SL clubs have brought this about for two reasons... Firstly the hand full of real elite clubs want to carry on playing each other on a more regular basis and secondly the rest of SL have realised they can't afford to compete with them any longer. It's all to do with finance and nothing more.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the aspirations of the top Championship clubs. How can anyone be so naieve to think it has?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#63 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

A favour buying World Cup tickets? Seriously?

I already go watching the Championship whenever I can...

As I've said previously it was a flippant response to a silly and unnecessary snipe at a Championship fan

#64 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

No. Otherwise sky would have offered peanuts

Nothing to do with the PayTV dispute in Oz then???

#65 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes it's the Championship minority that's now influencing the elite! Beggars belief that supposedly intelligent people could believe such tosh.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the aspirations of the top Championship clubs. How can anyone be so naieve to think it has?

Lobbygobbler reckons the whole thing is down to a collective Damascene conversion at Red Hall. Apparently, the whole thing has been devised to bring back the 10,000 missing Leigh fans whose hopes and dreams were crushed by that nasty Mr Lewis.

The 'feelgood factor' is back and everything!

#66 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

My clubs $H!t, lets make all other clubs $H!t then we can all be $H!t together.

So which clubs do think have brought about such radical thinking bearing in mind the control that SL has always enjoyed?

#67 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Lobbygobbler reckons the whole thing is down to a collective Damascene conversion at Red Hall. Apparently, the whole thing has been devised to bring back the 10,000 missing Leigh fans whose hopes and dreams were crushed by that nasty Mr Lewis.
The 'feelgood factor' is back and everything!

Aye, maybe he does but in reality it's anything but.

#68 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

I have always thought Tony Smith talks common sense and this is another example of a man who really understands the complexities of the issues facing sporting organisations and the structures required for a sport or club to flourish.

Another, well reasoned comment that I don't think any sensible person can argue with

But yet his CEO was one of the first to champion change within the game's structure. Maybe Tony should stick to coaching his side

#69 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

As I've said previously it was a flippant response to a silly and unnecessary snipe at a Championship fan

Given the response given, I'd say the original comment was pretty much bob on at bringing out the parochial attitudes of some. It's not the first time I've read a comment like that.
Posted Image

#70 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Exactly, PSG, Gateshead, crusaders have come and gone, while London make up the numbers season after season at the expense of traditional clubs like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, keighley etc who have seen their support dwindle.

At the "expense" of traditional clubs like Oldham and Halifax? Two clubs that had a shot at SL and blew it?

Tradition shouldn't hold back progression.
Posted Image

#71 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

At the "expense" of traditional clubs like Oldham and Halifax? Two clubs that had a shot at SL and blew it?
Tradition shouldn't hold back progression.

PSG, Gateshead and crusaders are progression? As I've said these clubs have come and gone while clubs below super league have slowly died due to no promotion to top flight rugby league in the UK.

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

The biggest problem, also as made in the link, is likely to be a greater fragmentation in standards. The top 8 are likely to get stronger still through receiving greater funding - through bigger attendances by playing in the Super 12 and the Super Super 8, and the increased TV monies such a fixture list would entail. There is a possibility, or even probability, that the next 4 are going to be constantly self-selecting. The bottom 4 of the Super 12 will be better resourced than the top 4 of the Bottom 12, and are likely to 'bounce back' year after year by dominating the Middle 8.

So we could end up with a very definite top 8 clubs, followed by another two distinct groups of four, and the bottom 8 - with little or no movement between them. Current Championship clubs could find themselves further away from playing the elite than they are now.

This is the consensus we seem to be coming to.

I await someone in the RL media asking the RFL how a competition i.e. the Middle 8 can be a real competition when it's effectively professionals coming off the back of a tough 11 rounds of professional rugby league then playing part timers.

It's a simple question that may never get asked. It certainly won't be offered up in a press release.

#73 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

But yet his CEO was one of the first to champion change within the game's structure. Maybe Tony should stick to coaching his side

The man talks absolute sense and presents a vary well thought out argument and best you can counter with is to say this. grow up. I don't trust three quarters of the self interested CEOs leading the SL and Champ clubs.

Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself until they are at least 25% as sensible as Tony Smith's.

PSG, Gateshead and crusaders are progression? As I've said these clubs have come and gone while clubs below super league have slowly died due to no promotion to top flight rugby league in the UK.

Tell me which clubs have actually died? I can only see clubs that have failed to do anything in the Championship because of their own mismanagement and are now languishing at the bottom of Champ or in Champ 1. Those are great credentials for a club entering SL aren't they Walter?

I see other clubs have managed to survive and do quite well in the Champ since licencing. Heck, one even got promoted to SL. Get a grip Walter.

#74 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

I await someone in the RL media asking the RFL how a competition i.e. the Middle 8 can be a real competition when it's effectively professionals coming off the back of a tough 11 rounds of professional rugby league then playing part timers.

It's a simple question that may never get asked. It certainly won't be offered up in a press release.

This is the key question (amongst many others) that'll hopefully pull the whole thing down.

I'm still not 100% convinced this isn't all a roose though.

#75 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

It was a comment said in jest aimed at many Championship supporters on this board (hence the apology to Trojan in the original post). This board has become stale and lacks character.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 13 May 2013 - 07:38 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#76 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

I never said they were progression. But to say that Oldham and Halifax have gone by the wayside because of these expansion attempts is completely b*llocks. They went by the wayside because they were poorly ran, just like the expansion clubs you mention. It was their own fault.
Posted Image

#77 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

It was a comment said in jest aimed at many Championship supporters on this board (hence the apology to Trojan in the original post). This board has become stale and lacks character.

Aye, I can see where you're coming from. A lot of us have chosen facebook as opposed to theee fora citing those reasons (and others) for their preferences.
I think there's a place for both.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#78 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

This is the beast that's been created and running out of control, the have's and have not's in super league has grown to such an extent that the have's have become a very small minority which is killing the game a lot more than before1996 simply because the have not's will keep getting themselves into a financial mire trying to keep up with the have's ("Keeping up with the Joneses")

You seem to have an answer on behalf of the RFL for every question or criticism aimed at them for their planning of how the game should be/will be run, maybe you can suggest a system (before they do) on how you would make changes with the funding and resources that are currently available?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#79 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

The man talks absolute sense and presents a vary well thought out argument and best you can counter with is to say this. grow up. I don't trust three quarters of the self interested CEOs leading the SL and Champ clubs.

Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself until they are at least 25% as sensible as Tony Smith's.

So presumably you're saying that 75% of the CEO's are not to be trusted and are pulling the wool over the eyes of their respective chairmen, BOD's and benefactors? For what possible reason if all's well as TS suggests? I'm intrigued. Even Nigel Wood's in on it.

Its all about finance as I've said previously, Tony Smith doesn't have to pay the wages while attendances worryingly slide. What's his magic formula to make the existing format work? He doesn't offer any solutions other than work hard at it. I'd say these people are already working their socks off but have hit the wall. These changes, if they come off, are nothing to do with pandering to the aspirations of Championship clubs. The changes would allow SL clubs to cut their cloth accordingly but at the same time incorporate season long meaningful games for all.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 13 May 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,159 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

1. The man talks absolute sense and presents a vary well thought out argument and best you can counter with is to say this. grow up. I don't trust three quarters of the self interested CEOs leading the SL and Champ clubs.

2. Tell me which clubs have actually died? I can only see clubs that have failed to do anything in the Championship because of their own mismanagement and are now languishing at the bottom of Champ or in Champ 1. Those are great credentials for a club entering SL aren't they Walter? I see other clubs have managed to survive and do quite well in the Champ since licencing. Heck, one even got promoted to SL. Get a grip Walter.

1. Tony Smith basically says stay on course but work hard to improve things. This is great sense, but as you say the self interested CEO's are never going to swallow that sense.

No CEO of a championship club will vote against the chance of a quicker route to SL, no CEO of a lower SL club will vote for a smaller SL and will vote for survival which a 24 club SL provides, No CEO of a top superleague club will vote to share their SKY money, crowd income and players with clubs who don't have enough of those things to compete.

Hence a "solution" emerges which looks like being attractive to all the voting CEO's on the basis of it's good for them individually, but sadly not good for the game.

Such a situation is also good for Nigel Wood as if he satisfies the majority of the people he works for he keeps his job.

2. Bramley died, then York and Rochdale died. Hunslet nearly died and oldham had a near death experience. Hunslet and Swinton are using DR to stay alive and several more clubs struggle against terminal decline.

I suggest it's not "mis-management" which is unfair, it's just hard to manage a club outside of SL where ALL the TV money goes, all the publicity and 5 out of 6 fans go......

Edited by The Parksider, 13 May 2013 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users