Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Feelgood factor back with P&R return

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#81 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

This is the beast that's been created and running out of control, the have's and have not's in super league has grown to such an extent that the have's have become a very small minority which is killing the game a lot more than before1996 simply because the have not's will keep getting themselves into a financial mire trying to keep up with the have's ("Keeping up with the Joneses")

You seem to have an answer on behalf of the RFL for every question or criticism aimed at them for their planning of how the game should be/will be run, maybe you can suggest a system (before they do) on how you would make changes with the funding and resources that are currently available?

My "solution" would not work because the clubs would not allow it, that's the problem Nigel Wood has, it's the same problem that maurice Lyndsay had.

If the game is best served by an Elite division (which it is IMHO because that attracts £90,000,000 TV contracts, attracts quality rugby players to choose league, and draws crowds better than I ever experienced in 50 years of watching our game) then put together an Elite division.

As Mr. Potts say we have elite clubs like Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Wire, we need more like Catalans, Hull, Bradford, Toulouse, Wakefield, London, Salford etc.

I think we could manage 12.

Once done focus on ensuring they have business plans for growth, and run them as a collective and not as 12 individual clubs, put more resources in were needed and as artificial as this all seems, work together so nobody can go bust on the rest.

Now of course this will attract hoots of derision, but the bottom line is YOU YOURSELF say there should be planning as what we have now is "killing the game even more than before 1996".

Leaving clubs to sink or swim individually is not "planning".

#82 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

At the "expense" of traditional clubs like Oldham and Halifax? Two clubs that had a shot at SL and blew it?

Tradition shouldn't hold back progression.

hull sharks anyone?

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#83 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Well in Terry lad.

Shall we do a deal? You SL fans buy some tickets for the NR Cup Final and Championship Grand Final and we'll have a think about returning the favour.

#84 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Here here.

The big dream of franchised game has been shown up for what it is. A waste of time.

Its just a shame that so much damage has been done to the game outside SL.

#85 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

The big dream of franchised game has been shown up for what it is. A waste of time.Its just a shame that so much damage has been done to the game outside SL.

Any damage done was by SKY contractually requiring all the money to be spent on Superleague.

How has the creation of a professional game that sustains a £90,000,000 TV contract and attracts nigh on a 10,000 average crowd been a "waste of time"?

Spread the TV money evenly, or even refuse it and then you will see "damage"

#86 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

But when will London be given a chance to BLOW IT as you say.

At the "expense" of traditional clubs like Oldham and Halifax? Two clubs that had a shot at SL and blew it?

Tradition shouldn't hold back progression.

#87 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

hull sharks anyone?

It was a grand old club. I remember when we beat em at Wembley in 83 against all the odds. Sad it was allowed to die.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#88 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

It was a comment said in jest aimed at many Championship supporters on this board (hence the apology to Trojan in the original post). This board has become stale and lacks character.

I've had an idea.

Get the top 14 posters to just post comments at each other for 3 years. Invite someone from France to post as well to make it look inclusive. New posters can wait on another board. They can't post but can see posts on this board. The idea is that they will learn what and how to post. The other board is low tech and has little band width.

I imagine that after about 6 years the top 14 posters will have thousands of posts the rest can only dream of. The thing is with only 14, unless they take a different perspective, the topics will become stale and polarised.

The board controllers have a choice. Keep the top 14 and retain the integrity of the board to show off against their rivals. However they know they would potentially create increased sterility and alienation. Or they can implement some kind of P&R system that will allow new ideas and fresh thinking onto the board from new posters. However the new posters won't be as compliant as they should be even though they've had 6 years to observe the protocol, they actually want more posters on the board!!

I predict strong, indignant and verging on personal comments from the top 14. However the board controllers will see the bigger picture and introduce more openness to encourage new posters on the board.

#89 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I've had an idea.

Get the top 14 posters to just post comments at each other for 3 years. Invite someone from France to post as well to make it look inclusive. New posters can wait on another board. They can't post but can see posts on this board. The idea is that they will learn what and how to post. The other board is low tech and has little band width.

I imagine that after about 6 years the top 14 posters will have thousands of posts the rest can only dream of. The thing is with only 14, unless they take a different perspective, the topics will become stale and polarised.

The board controllers have a choice. Keep the top 14 and retain the integrity of the board to show off against their rivals. However they know they would potentially create increased sterility and alienation. Or they can implement some kind of P&R system that will allow new ideas and fresh thinking onto the board from new posters. However the new posters won't be as compliant as they should be even though they've had 6 years to observe the protocol, they actually want more posters on the board!!

I predict strong, indignant and verging on personal comments from the top 14. However the board controllers will see the bigger picture and introduce more openness to encourage new posters on the board.

brilliant. I wished id thought o' that! :lol:
Made me titter over my morning coffee.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#90 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've had an idea.

Here's mine.

Get the top 30 posters whose arguments always run back to "I want my club in Superleague" which are after all a microcosm of how the clubs themselves are currently contributing to the future of the game via self interest, and give them their own fantasy RL forum.

In there they can all post their dreams which will all coincide going back to halcyon days of RL yore (that did not exist)when P & R was everything, and everyone won the cup or the championship at some time and if they didn't well they can pretend they did.

There will be certain rules in this forum such as....

1. That any club anywhere can "build" all the way to superleague if it wasn't for the unfairness of it all.

2. That it be taken as read Superleague is killing the game.

3. That money men, players and fans will appear out of nowhere if certain easy to see decisions are taken by the ruling body

4. That true RL fans are only to be found in the Championship

Any forum member whose club enters Superleague has to withdraw from this forum, any SL fan can become a member of the forum if his club is relegated.

thus it will be a P & R based forum.

The moderator will of course be Lobbygobbler.

#91 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Here's mine.

Get the top 30 posters whose arguments always run back to "I want my club in Superleague" which are after all a microcosm of how the clubs themselves are currently contributing to the future of the game via self interest, and give them their own fantasy RL forum.

In there they can all post their dreams which will all coincide going back to halcyon days of RL yore (that did not exist)when P & R was everything, and everyone won the cup or the championship at some time and if they didn't well they can pretend they did.

1. That any club anywhere can "build" all the way to superleague if it wasn't for the unfairness of it all.

3. That money men, players and fans will appear out of nowhere if certain easy to see decisions are taken by the ruling body

Any forum member whose club enters Superleague has to withdraw from this forum, any SL fan can become a member of the forum if his club is relegated.

Well my attempt at humour soon got the howls of derision I expected. Am I relegated already?

#92 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Here's mine.

attempt at the same satircal subject not as good. Neither was the humour.

#93 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Gateshead would have died within the next 12 months they had no where near enough going through the turnstiles to support a super league club, on the other hand in Hull they had one club who had the supporter base to support a super league club but had become a rudderless ship, it was easier to ship the management from Gateshead to Hull and in doing so the best of the two Hull based clubs got chosen, Hull FC have lived happily ever after but the left out troll from over the river Hull is still there being very grumpy :angry:

hull sharks anyone?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#94 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Here's mine.

I'm out, I support Hull FC

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#95 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

It wasn't and isn't a dream and it isn't a 'franchise'
It something that exists to replace and undo the damage caused by a flawed, discredited and regressive system

Glad to see the system to protect clubs. In the top level of the game getting into financial trouble worked so wel......................on hang on it didnt did it.

#96 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

On the whole I agree with the RFL that changes need to be made, the current system doesn't work as well as they probably envisaged but I have to agree with Phil Clarke on one point. Before we rush headlong into a major restructuring the RFL should concentrate on solving some of the fundamental problems in the game like the lack of a mjaor sponsor.

None of these proposed league structures will ever work unless there's sufficient money to support them.

With regards to the actual structure I think this splitting the season and then having 3 groups of 8 is a gimmic too far and as others have already said will just widen the gaps between clubs. Personally if we're going to reintroduce P&R whats wrong with just having 2 leagues of 12 with a 1 up 1 down format. If they want to keep things interesting at the bottom end of the table then instead of automatic P&R the bottom placed SL1 club could play off against the top SL2 club in a 1 off game with the winner going up / staying in SL1 & the loser going into SL2.

The top NL1 clubs like Halifax & Fev (who would probably be in SL2) have shown they can compete with the bottom SL clubs when it comes to 1 off games, so a winner takes all game would be a great spectacle

#97 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

attempt at the same satircal subject not as good. Neither was the humour.

Ah well Robin that's your opinion as a Championship fan!!!

#98 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well my attempt at humour soon got the howls of derision I expected.

Ah I see, you do a satire and it's "humour".

I do a satire and it's a "howl of derision".

just the double standard I expected.

#99 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Ah well Robin that's your opinion as a Championship fan!!!

:lol: better!!

#100 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ah I see, you do a satire and it's "humour".

I do a satire and it's a "howl of derision".

just the double standard I expected.

nar parky...
You did satire..... just not good satire.
Satire down here is always better!!! :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users